Wood Drying

Old January 17th 05, 07:30 PM
Dan Farrow

Default Wood Drying

Would anyone care to comment on the best way to dry maple without cracking?
I've had mixed success.

Thanks,
Dan

Old January 17th 05, 08:57 PM
George

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fp.../fplgtr113.htm

Chapter three pretty good.

Question's too vague to give much more of an answer.

Old January 17th 05, 09:22 PM
George G

Old January 18th 05, 03:46 AM
chrisT

It depends on how large your piece of wood is. I dryed a piece of
maple in the microwave oven in about half an hour. Each time I heated
it for one minute the water just ran out the end and a few checks in
the wood swelled shut.
Depending on the wood type. I understand Oak doesn't have the same
capillaries and can explode if heated too hot.
I have dryed slabs of walnut by placing them in a plastic bag and
sprinkling them with rock salt. Be sure the opening is sloped downward
because as the salt draws out the water it will puddle if not drained.
Checking was never a problem.

Old January 18th 05, 09:08 PM
Chuck

wrote:

Would anyone care to comment on the best way to dry maple without cracking?
I've had mixed success.

Dan,

If you're using the whole log, in the round, it's going to be
difficult, because of wood's tendency to shrink in the opposite
direction that it grew: ie. contract in a circle. For this reason, you
will have much more success if you split the log/limb in half,
eliminating the pith, or center portion of the stick. It will dry
even more evenly, quickly and with fewer checks if you have a piece
large enough to slab it into thick planks or split it into blocks,
depending on how you're going to carve it.

To facilitate even, slow drying, there are a bunch of things you can
do to dry it.
#Coat the endgrain with Anchorseal, after spltting it in halves,
quarters or slabbing it and put it in a warm (NOT hot),
well-ventilated spot, indoors or out, for months...approx. 1year per
inch of thickness. Paraffin wax doesn't penetrate far enough, and is
too easily peeled off to be effective, and latex paint is "iffy" at
best. Dilute white glue has been reported to work fairly well, but
whatever you use, don't completely coat the piece, because it's just a
waste of material. Wood being made up of a bunch of straws,
basically, the vast majority of the moisture escapes through the ends
of the wood, rather than the sides.
#Cut the wood into the size blocks you're going to carve it into, then
weigh them and pack individual blocks into paper bags, surrounded by
shavings or sawdust. Take them out and weigh them again, every 4 to 6
weeks, and record the weight on the bag. When they stop losing
weight, they are "dry."
#Wrap individual blocks in two or more paper bags, again weighing.
Every few weeks, take the blocks out, re-weigh, change the inner paper
bag, and re-bag.
#Cut into individual blocks, dry in the microwave, on 10-20% power or
defrost, for a minute to 2 minutes, depending on size, and DON'T LET
THE BLOCK GET HOT! That's why they crack. You only want it to be warm
to the touch. Let the block cool for __at least__ 45 minutes, longer
if it's still warm, and repeat the cycle. You should weigh the block
at the beginning and every 3-5 cycles, so you can tell when the piece
stops losing weight.
#You can make your own kiln, about 1000 different ways, using nothing
more complicated than sheets of plastic, a fan and a lightbulb, or
more elaborate setups from an old freezer, refrigerator or cooler.
There are a lot of sites on the web that have info on this, and I can
recommend at least one book that has articles on the topic.

Remember, though, if you are using whole logs or limbs to carve, the
wood is going to crack, period, and no amount of fancy drying
techniques are going to prevent it.

Hope this is of some help.

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget

Old January 20th 05, 07:08 PM
Randy

George,

What kind of wood does one use to make a super bowl?
How large of a lathe would I need to make one?

"George G" wrote in message
Hi Dan - I save all my old wax left over from Xmas candles. I stand all
my Maple logs and branches on end (up to 6 inches) OD. I pour my melted
wax on both ends and I have pretty good success with mine. I leave it
set in a dry place for over a year.
Good Luck---------George

Old January 21st 05, 08:13 AM
George G

OT - metal vs wood beds... KDK Beads 18 February 3rd 05 06:23 AM
Places to buy wood Bill Tinker Carving 2 January 3rd 04 06:44 PM
is this all about Wood, or are there Stone carvers here too? RainLover Carving 5 October 28th 03 09:03 PM
What wood and what chisels Princebilly1 Carving 10 September 21st 03 07:54 PM
3-D Wood Carving Machine A.T. Carving 0 August 28th 03 05:39 AM