dress form question

Old January 29th 04, 03:48 AM
Marilyn

Angela Moak wrote:

Marilyn,

I have one with the wingnuts as well. She is actually more adjustable
than the newer one with the dials. It is possible to adjust alone if
you have quite a bit of patience. DH lacks the patience to assist with
the adjusting, so I adjust her myself when I have to.
I have three young women that I sew for frequently. Luckily only the
hip size changes from one to the other. I find both of mine quite useful.

Heed Kate and Cea's warning about putting her in the guest room.
(Especially dressed.) It's quite disturbing to wake up and see her
headless form standing there bathed in moonlight.

Good luck with her,

--
Regards,
Angela

Angela,
I have a nice spot reserved for her in the corner by the dryer. This
could still give the guests pause if we ever get the guest room set up
in the room next door. The laundry room would be the short cut to the
bathroom so someone might be startled by the headless figure doing
laundry. My Sweet Laundrette? Etta, for short? We shall see.
All of the hardware was there including a useful little screw driver.
The pin cushion foam was crunchy, crumbly toast. (Pin cushion and
useful storage cup at the top of the neck. Logical but weird if you
think about it too much.) Two of the plastic straps had snapped at
their attachment but most are just fine. I think I can still use them
by replacing the failed plastic pin with another screw assembly.
The only true failure was that I couldn't get the metal rod to fit
properly into the plastic base. I eventually forced it in (partly by
freezing the metal rod in the garage for awhile) but she isn't steady.
She will hold until my six foot three husband gets back from his
business trip. I'm confident that he can push it the rest of the way
into the base.
Next step is a good set of measurements for me and then I'll adjust
her to size. This may give me the incentive to play with a dress I
picked up at a warehouse sale. It is purple rayons and batik prints.
Just my taste. Unfortunately they only had 3x left which is not my
size. For $3, I couldn't resist. Now to cut it down to size. This
could be fun.

Marilyn
-- Whose car battery finally succumbed to the sub-zero weather. Perhaps
with the help of the rodentia who left sunflower seed shells all over it!

Old January 29th 04, 04:15 AM
BEI Design

zski wrote:
I just bought a vintage dress-form on E-bay and I am quite pleased.
The metal stand is much sturdier than the modern plastic ones, and
there are more adjustment points than some of the cheaper modern
ones. I named her Rose, after Gypsy Rose Lee, because ehr job it
dressing and undressing.--

Wendy, I want to thank you for posting this, I just searched EBay, and
have put in a bid on a vintage dress-form which will actually adjust
to the size(s) I need. Thanks! :-)

--
Beverly
---to reply, delete no spam and .invalid---

Old January 29th 04, 04:24 PM
Marilyn

Beautiful dress, Wendy! I'm glad to hear that you can adjust your form
on your own. From putting my form together, it looks like I will
probably be able to adjust mine on my own too. It looks like a bit of
an acquired skill. Now I'm getting excited about using this new tool
for sewing. Maybe I'll try to rough in my measurements on it this
morning. I have nothing else to do but wait for the tow truck. Since
they are giving a four hour time estimate, I have plenty of time.

Marilyn in COLD Minnesota

zski wrote:

zski wrote:

I hope to have pix of my new gown up tomorrow, so you'll get to see her.

okay, I lied.

http://www.livejournal.com/community...1.html?#cutid1
Wendy Z Chicago, IL (Moo)
Wench Wear Costumes http://pages.ripco.net/~zski
Minstrosity www.minstrosity.com
Wench #525 AIM=wendylady525
http://www.livejournal.com/users/wendyzski/
"Though she be but little, she is fierce"
"It's the little ones you have to watch out for..."
"I'm not short - I'm concentrated"

Old January 31st 04, 05:07 PM

dress form question

(Kate=A0Dicey)
wrote:
dress form question
snip
...guest room is an anemic, pale-skinned garment-store mannikin,
complete with thin cheeks, a somewhat manic wig, and oddly long fingers.
=A0=A0=A0=A0I swear, my siblings sneak into the room during the night
and shift her limbs around.
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A 0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A 0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0Cea
---
You'll know she's alive when you find her fingers in THAT pose... ;P
Kate XXXXXX
---
OOOoooo, I can read between the lines, and I know what you are
thinking!! That particular mannekin pose is otherwise known as 'The
Traffic Finger'.
(And, no, I don't actually use it. That would be an unseemly gesture
for a GMother. I prefer to pull up alongside the offender, smile, wave,
and say "Tell your mom I said "HI!") Works for me.
Cea

OT Dress Joke Pat in Virginia Quilting 6 July 14th 04 04:02 AM
New and searching for dress form unbroken Sewing 4 January 23rd 04 04:51 AM
In need of a plus size dress form Jalynne Sewing 4 September 13th 03 11:35 PM
help with antique dress form Filigree00 Sewing 0 August 29th 03 10:00 AM