Costuming Question

Old January 26th 04, 02:55 AM
TerriLee In WA

Default Costuming Question

I know that at least one of you illustrious folks will know exactly where to
find what I'm looking for.

I've recently be asked to join an ethnic vocal music group at our church
(they needed a tenor). Problem is this. I'm the only "white" person, as
the rest of the members are all from different parts of the world, i.e.,
Japan, Ethiopia, etc. They all wear their native dress when giving
performances. The best I can come up with is to try to make an outfit
(dress?) with a Scandinavian flair, as that is my heritage.

Can someone suggest a source for a pattern or at least a picture that I
could draft something from? Help!!!

Thanks bunches,

--
TerriLee in WA (state) USA

--
TerriLee in WA (state) USA

Old January 26th 04, 03:37 AM
Jenn Ridley

"TerriLee In WA" wrote:

I've recently be asked to join an ethnic vocal music group at our church
(they needed a tenor). Problem is this. I'm the only "white" person, as
the rest of the members are all from different parts of the world, i.e.,
Japan, Ethiopia, etc. They all wear their native dress when giving
performances. The best I can come up with is to try to make an outfit
(dress?) with a Scandinavian flair, as that is my heritage.

Can someone suggest a source for a pattern or at least a picture that I
could draft something from? Help!!!

http://www.costumes.org/ethnic/1PAGES/ETHNOLNK.HTM click on "western
European" and scroll down. There's some links to Finnish and
Norwegian costume information. A lot of it can be extended to cover
the wider Scandanavian region as well.

jenn

--
Jenn Ridley

Old January 26th 04, 08:06 AM
Sally Holmes

TerriLee In WA wrote:
I know that at least one of you illustrious folks will know exactly
where to find what I'm looking for.

I've recently be asked to join an ethnic vocal music group at our
church (they needed a tenor). Problem is this. I'm the only "white"
person, as the rest of the members are all from different parts of
the world, i.e., Japan, Ethiopia, etc. They all wear their native
dress when giving performances. The best I can come up with is to
try to make an outfit (dress?) with a Scandinavian flair, as that is
my heritage.

Can someone suggest a source for a pattern or at least a picture that
I could draft something from? Help!!!

Googling
scandinavian "folk costume"
gives lots of hits. These places http://makeashorterlink.com/?R1CD26F27
http://www.scanfest.org/Zfolkdress/fokdress.html
http://users.rcn.com/edstrom/body_index.html
sell patterns.

Google - so easy. Why isn't it the first place everyone looks?

Sally

Old January 26th 04, 02:05 PM
Fustanella

Google - so easy. Why isn't it the first place everyone looks?

1. Their search results are slowly but surely becoming contaminated with
affiliate programs who've learned to hack their ranking method.

2. Many dumbed-down ISPs go out of their way to hide the fact that powerful
Internet tools exist.

Old January 26th 04, 10:45 PM

Costuming Question

(TerriLee=A0In=A0WA)
snip
I've recently be asked to join an ethnic vocal music group at our church
(they needed a tenor). Problem is this. I'm the only "white" person, as
the rest of the members are all from different parts of the world, i.e.,
Japan, Ethiopia, etc. They all wear their native dress when giving
performances. The best I can come up with is to try to make an outfit
(dress?) with a Scandinavian flair, as that is my heritage.
Can someone suggest a source for a pattern or at least a picture that I
could draft something from? Help!!!
Thanks bunches,
TerriLee in WA (state) USA
---
Awwwww, c'mon, TerriLee, you can do better than that! How about a
psychedelic 60's outfit? Or an Elvis imitation? Both of which are now
native dress, I am sorry to say.
Cea

Old January 26th 04, 11:42 PM
Kay Lancaster

church (they needed a tenor). Problem is this. I'm the only "white"
person, as the rest of the members are all from different parts of
the world, i.e., Japan, Ethiopia, etc. They all wear their native
dress when giving performances. The best I can come up with is to
try to make an outfit (dress?) with a Scandinavian flair, as that is
my heritage.

Can someone suggest a source for a pattern or at least a picture that
I could draft something from? Help!!!

Haven't seen the original post, but have you checked out the resources
at http://www.costumes.org, specifically:
http://www.costumes.org/ethnic/1PAGES/ETHNOLNK.HTM
http://www.costumes.org/history/100p...sthistpage.htm
and http://www.costumes.org/advice/1pages/pattern_links.htm

Tara McGinnis has done a wonderful service for those of us who sew, even
if we don't do costumes... there are details in the links on her pages
that are great to borrow. One of my favorite places to waste time on the
web.

Kay Lancaster

Old January 28th 04, 08:32 PM
Dru

Check out Folkware patterns - they have all sorts of ethnic costumes. Not
sure of the address --
Sorry
Dru

link.net...

Old January 30th 04, 05:28 AM
Liz

"Dru" wrote in message
k.net...
Check out Folkware patterns - they have all sorts of ethnic costumes.

Not
sure of the address --
Sorry
Dru