Eterna Silk

Old March 9th 04, 02:42 PM
BDS2pds

Default Eterna Silk

Also could you have seen the item please tell me the difference between mini
twist, stranded, and silk twist.
I am using it for surface crewel work and it has to cover the fabric well.
Old March 9th 04, 08:11 PM
BDS2pds

Thanks very much Jenn. For coverage in surface work then, I guess I would need
6 or more plys then. Does it lie flat nicely?
I heard today that the silk is less glossy and shiny than the mini . Does that
sound about right.
I also heard it converts well to the DMC numbers. That is promising as I have
to figure out 60 or more. I went through the list and all of those converted
to an Eterna Silk number so hope they are true.
Old March 10th 04, 12:35 AM
Dianne Lewandowski

Suzanne, I've used the Eterna minitwist and stranded silk line. The
minitwist is just like ordinary cotton floss in appearance, except it
has more sheen. Use it like you would ordinary cotton floss, or Soie
d'Alger, or Splendor (Rainbow Galleries) or Madeira.

The stranded silk is futzier in that you need a laying tool. Probably
not great for cross or ten stitch - unless you're anal (nothing wrong
with that, but most aren't that fussy), but works well for satin stitch,
fishbone, long canvas stitches such as florentine - that type of
embroidery. It has a lovely opulant sheen close to the sheen of rayon
but without that neon glare. g The sheen comes from "within".

The first time I used the "stranded", I had problems, but once I
understood what to do, it was nice to work with. If you don't have a
laying tool and want to experiment, you can use a 1. sewing awl, 2. thin
nail you have cleaned and polished, 3. large tapestry needle (size 22).

Dianne

On 2004-03-09 10:56:08 -0600, Jenn Ridley said:

(BDS2pds) wrote:

Also could you have seen the item please tell me the difference
between mini
twist, stranded, and silk twist.

Mini twist is like cotton floss.

Stranded is more like filament silk. It's not twisted.

Silk twist is the pearl equivalent. It's fairly tightly twisted.

I am using it for surface crewel work and it has to cover the fabric
well.

A single ply of the MiniTwist is a little bit heavier than a single
ply of cotton floss.

Two plys of the stranded (which is a 12 ply thread) is a bit lighter
than a singly ply of cotton floss or Splendor. (when I'm doing satin
stitch on 30ct, I need to use five plys of Eterna where I can use two
strands of cotton floss or Splendor.)
I've not used the silk twist for embroidery...I've cross stitched with
it, and it's a little bit lighter in coverage than the equivalent
sized cotton perle.

jenn

This is just the question I had. Thanks for the explanation, Jenn. One
thing I'm afraid I still don't understand is how to know which is best
for what project.
Suze

Old March 10th 04, 12:36 AM
BDS2pds

Me too Suze; wish I could see it...A lady is bringing me some to see as she has
a skein and no one else in my EGA ever heard of it. Tried today. So next
month this time I will have seen some. BUT I do not know what she is bringing
me to see- whether it is mini twist or stranded....

Old March 10th 04, 02:43 AM
Jenn Ridley

Suzanne wrote:

This is just the question I had. Thanks for the explanation, Jenn.
One thing I'm afraid I still don't understand is how to know which is
best for what project.

Trial and error?

Really, that's the best way.

I will say that, in my experience, the Minitwist is better than the
Stranded if you're doing standard cross stitch, or things like
herringbone, queen stitch, etc. The Stranded is enough more difficult
to work with, and the results not that much different, that it's not
really worth the effort. Anything that uses a longer stitch
(bargello, satin stitch, sprat's head, etc), the stranded is worth the
extra effort, *if* that's the look you want.

If you want the look of a cross between rayon and cotton floss with an
inner glow, the minitwist is fine. It's glossier than the cotton, but
more forgiving than the stranded, and doesn't whack you over the head
with the shine like some rayons do.

The stranded Eterna is glorious when laid in a long stitch. It's also
a glorious pain...it snags, it ripples, it shows every little
imperfection. But when it's right, it's gorgeous.

If I've not stitched with it for a while, I will plan on trashing the
first length I thread, because it is different to work with, and it
takes a while for me to remember it. If I use it every day or so,
it's not nearly so much of a problem.

(having said all that, I will say that I'm using the Stranded to do
cross stitches on Rose Trio....I didn't have the minitwist when I
started, and it's too late to rip it out now. )

jenn
--
Jenn Ridley

WIP: Art Stitch Rose Trio, Emperor's Coat, FrankenFlora, Halloween Circle
Most recently Finished: Santa Christmas Stocking, Will Work for Freezer Space, Turnberry Ridge
Old March 10th 04, 12:24 PM
BDS2pds

Thanks so much for all of your help gals. Yes I did the conversion sheet and
of course all converted and so happy to see that everyone thinks they are
accurate. Is there no other silk choice with so many hues then?
So, which would work better for crewel then, Dianne? The stranded or the
twist?

FA:: Silk Screen Techniques, Biegeleisen and Cohn, TPB Number1Fred Marketplace 0 October 15th 04 02:48 AM
Eterna Silk BDS2pds Needlework 3 March 13th 04 01:26 AM
silk mori BDS2pds Needlework 0 February 20th 04 01:31 PM
Kreinik Silk Mori question Anne Tuchscherer Needlework 13 February 7th 04 05:59 AM
Navy blue silk velvet Ericka Kammerer Needlework 0 September 30th 03 02:22 AM