A crafts forum. CraftBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » CraftBanter forum » Textiles newsgroups » Quilting
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Finally the Flower Garden Quilt Top

Old August 4th 14, 03:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Finally the Flower Garden Quilt Top

This quilt top is from "The Quilter Magazine" year 2013. I have already cut out the 30 sets of pieces that make up the quilt top. Yesterday I started sewing the blocks to gather. This is a challenge for me because there are 12 half squares in each block, two different sizes. Progress is slow as I only sewed 4 blocks which took me all afternoon. I tie all my strings by hand which is why it took so long. Will keep you all posted on my progress. I graphed this out to make it 11 inch block instead of a 6 inch. Also changing the leaf to make it larger. One thing I learned is when you change something it effects most of the other pieces.
Sandy$ in Idaho
Ads
Old August 4th 14, 04:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat on the Green
external usenet poster

On 04/08/2014 15:55, wrote:
This quilt top is from "The Quilter Magazine" year 2013. I have already cut out the 30 sets of pieces that make up the quilt top. Yesterday I started sewing the blocks to gather. This is a challenge for me because there are 12 half squares in each block, two different sizes. Progress is slow as I only sewed 4 blocks which took me all afternoon. I tie all my strings by hand which is why it took so long. Will keep you all posted on my progress. I graphed this out to make it 11 inch block instead of a 6 inch. Also changing the leaf to make it larger. One thing I learned is when you change something it effects most of the other pieces.
Sandy$ in Idaho

It's me again - trying to save you any potential problem.
It is as well to make up one block in its entirety, before you cut all
the fabric into pieces for the whole quilt - especially as you have
changed from the original size.
You might find it irritating to make up one block first - but you would
be even more annoyed if there was some small thing which didn't quite
work and you had cut all the fabric.
When you hear these little tips, you needn't ask where I/we got the
caution from gg

Pat on the green
Old August 5th 14, 03:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Monday, August 4, 2014 8:55:32 AM UTC-6, wrote:

Sandy$ in Idaho

Hello Pat,
In fact I made two blocks ahead of time, so am good to go. I see you have had a lot of quilting experience. I have been quilting now for 8 years and even though I had a guide book have made plenty of mistakes trying to make short cuts. Am sure you know all about trial and error. Laughing at myself here.
Sandy$ in Idaho
Old August 5th 14, 09:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat on the Green
external usenet poster

On 05/08/2014 15:54, wrote:

Sandy$ in Idaho

Hello Pat,
In fact I made two blocks ahead of time, so am good to go. I see you have had a lot of quilting experience. I have been quilting now for 8 years and even though I had a guide book have made plenty of mistakes trying to make short cuts. Am sure you know all about trial and error. Laughing at myself here.
Sandy$ in Idaho

I hope to goodness I didn't sound patronising. That would be furthest
from my mind; but I do hate to see folk wasting fabric - and their time
- when simple precautions would create a smooth path forward.
I'm delighted to hear that you did make up a couple of preliminary blocks.

Pat on the green
Old August 10th 14, 04:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Sandy$ in Idaho

Hello Pat,
I am glad you are looking out for me quilting wise. It is good to get ideas and thoughts from others more experienced than me. I appreciate you thoughts. Thank you.
Sandy$ in Idaho