How new can you get?

Old July 9th 05, 09:55 AM
Jackie T

Default How new can you get?

I'm just starting out with this hobby - literally, just assembling my first
house kit.
I've read through the FAQ resources & many of the past messages, but I can't
see the answer to my question, which is:

If I buy a doll figure to go in my house (paying about £20) will I be able
to change her dress?

I'm not some sort of nut, but I see that I can buy 'undressed' figures &
dressed ones, and I can get dresses on bodyforms (which I presume are
removeable dolls' clothes).

I'm nowhere near actually buying any figures, yet, but having spent the last
week with my nose in several miniature catalogues, this seems to be my
burning question of the week!

By way of an introduction, I'm in the UK (East Yorkshire) & am female

Jackie

Old July 9th 05, 02:38 PM
Herb

Jackie T wrote:

I'm just starting out with this hobby - literally, just assembling my f=

irst=20
house kit.
I've read through the FAQ resources & many of the past messages, but I =

can't=20
see the answer to my question, which is:
=20
If I buy a doll figure to go in my house (paying about =A320) will I be=

able=20
to change her dress?
=20
I'm not some sort of nut, but I see that I can buy 'undressed' figures =

&=20
dressed ones, and I can get dresses on bodyforms (which I presume are=20
removeable dolls' clothes).
=20
I'm nowhere near actually buying any figures, yet, but having spent the=

last=20
week with my nose in several miniature catalogues, this seems to be my =

burning question of the week!
=20
By way of an introduction, I'm in the UK (East Yorkshire) & am female :=

)
=20
Jackie=20
=20

Hi Jackie, welcome to the hobby and to the group!

The answer to your question "will I be able to change her dress" is, like=
so=20
many answers, "It depends!"

Some of the raiment of pre-dressed dolls is an intrinsic part of the doll=
s'=20
construction, and removing a sleeve will remove the associated arm. Other=
s may=20
require the removal of stitches that hold the garment to the body, some m=
ay be=20
glued together and hard to take apart. If you're spending close to US$40=
for a=20
doll, I would certainly hope that its dress was already suitable.

Like people, dolls come in an almost infinite number of shapes and sizes.=
=20
"Off-the-rack" or "on the dressform" clothing may or not fit. My wife ha=
s done=20
as much altering of dolls' clothes as she has her own wardrobe - and ofte=
n finds=20
that sewing a new outfit from scratch gives better results whether for Do=
lls OR=20
Humans!

Many of the pre-dressed figures look absolutely terrible to me. Particul=
arly=20
the German "Faller" line, all of whose garments are over-thick and not to=
scale.=20
Adult figures look like they're swaddled in blankets or in one of those c=
hild's=20
snowsuits that make them immobile!

Most of our own doll houses and display rooms have no human figures; real=
istic=20
ones that are appropriate to a scene are very difficult to find. We have =
used=20
some figurines that are completely solid - usually cast resin, because it=
's=20
easier to have realistically draped miniature fabric in that way than to =
force=20
real fabric to drape and fold in scale!

- Herb

Old July 9th 05, 07:34 PM
Jackie T

Jackie T wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the welcome & all the information - I thought the answer might be
'it depends'. Guess I'll get my sewing kit out.....eventually.

Jackie

Old July 10th 05, 12:22 AM
Carol

"Jackie T" wrote in message
I'm just starting out with this hobby - literally, just assembling my
first house kit.
I've read through the FAQ resources & many of the past messages, but I
can't see the answer to my question, which is:

If I buy a doll figure to go in my house (paying about £20) will I be able
to change her dress?

I'm not some sort of nut, but I see that I can buy 'undressed' figures &
dressed ones, and I can get dresses on bodyforms (which I presume are
removeable dolls' clothes).

I'm nowhere near actually buying any figures, yet, but having spent the
last week with my nose in several miniature catalogues, this seems to be
my burning question of the week!

By way of an introduction, I'm in the UK (East Yorkshire) & am female

Jackie

Most dressed dolls do not have removeable clothing, no matter what their
cost. It would be too difficult to make the clothing removeable. Most
clothing on bodyforms, are just for show and are not removeble and useable
on dolls.

Herb mentioned not being able to find realistic dolls. You can, but they
are quite expensive.

Carol
S P Miniatures
www.spminiatures.com