mirror and glass etching advice needed

Old March 10th 05, 11:59 PM
alpha

Default mirror and glass etching advice needed

hello, i have been looking into the various glass etching proceses
which users of this group directed me to and have realised this is a
very complex art form which has many different forms. I am a total
newbee and wish to produce large simple designed shapes on mirror
measuring aproximatly 1 metre square for table tops. I do require a
good clean edge but am unconcerned about the length of time it takes to
produce the piece and am willing to cut the pattern by hand since i
have simplistic designs which do not require much skill or slight of
hand. i do not have the money to invest in expensive high tech
techniques or the time to learn them and am looking for "the cheats
guide to large scale simplistic design glass etching". can somebody
advice me if a suitable technique exists and if so what materials i
should try using and where i can obtain materials for designs on this
scale????....are materials sold on the roll??...i want of course to
keep costs as cheap as possible as i plan to start a production run of
table tops. Maybe i am being a bit too optomistic hoping that there is
a method which suits my needs and abillitys but would apreciate advise
if anyone knows of a suitable method
many thanks in advance...........especially to those who have already
advised.

Old March 11th 05, 03:57 AM
Mike Firth

Isn't this about the third request of this type in the last week
"cheap etching" "do it quick"??
Using mirror for tops will require very careful handling to keep
from chipping the edge or damaging the back.

--
Mike Firth
Hot Glass Bits Furnace Working Website

oups.com...

Old March 11th 05, 04:04 AM
Jim Redden

Both this and also for newbi help, Hmmmm maybe a troll looking to see how
long we will bite?

Jim

oups.com...

Old March 11th 05, 08:20 PM
Mike Firth

don't table tops have to be tempered or at least safety glass?m

No, they don't - I collect thick broken glass fragments from the curbside
trash pickup around here every couple of months for further selective
breaking and then sagging and fusing.
http://users.ticnet.com/mikefirth/warmglas.htm#BROKQTR [and page up to see
tempered glass fragments being made into fused bowl shapes.]
Code requires that glass that might be broken and fall on people be
tempered or wired. The reason can be exemplified by my sister punching out
a good sized glass pane in a window in our old house and then getting
stabbed by the shape triangular point of a falling piece when she and mom
were removing the pieces (50 years ago) I am told that if table tops were
tempered, they would break when scratched by things on them - but the tough
surface seems to me to be harder to scratch.

Old March 12th 05, 06:22 PM
Dieter Hager

"Jim Redden" wrote in message .. .
Both this and also for newbi help, Hmmmm maybe a troll looking to see how
long we will bite?

Jim

"alpha" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Go to http://www.sandcarver.org/contents.htm there youŽll find tons of
information or join the Sandcarving Group on Yahoo and read the
archives. All you ever want to know is right there!

Deet on Lanzarote Island