need a professional to cut a beveled window panel. Carved/engraved/cut glass.

Old March 9th 05, 08:40 PM
Brian Gardner

Default need a professional to cut a beveled window panel. Carved/engraved/cut glass.

There is a historic home where I live that has a broken sidelight. The
original panel is unusual. Rather than a leaded panel, an artist took a
rectangular glass panel, beveled the outside edges, and then cut a
curved.geometric pattern into the glass plate. I have seen a few similar
panels; my house has similar cut glass windows. I have never seen this sort
of work done in current times.

Anyone who does this sort of work, I would appreciate it if you would let me
know. If you know someone who does, please pass on that information.

These people want to replace the broken one. The house has a set of SIX
matching panels. The two sidelights, a door medallion and three skylights
over the door frame. Replacing both sidelights could be an alternative,
but having a matching replacement panel cut is really the only good
solution.

Old March 9th 05, 10:32 PM

Sounds like wheel engraved. Not a ton of folks out there doing it but
there are some. Do a search for "wheel engraving". Look in the yellow
pages...might be someone listed. Can't give you a name because I have
no idea where you are.

Andy

Old March 10th 05, 12:08 AM
Moonraker

It would help if you had told us where you live. I know of one individual
who "probably" can do this type of work. Dimensions of the sidelite and
glass thickness would be good to know.

Old March 10th 05, 03:13 PM
Brian Gardner

Here's a little more info about the panel in question. Yes, this would have
been wheel cut, I wish that I had been able to figure out what the proper
term would have been. The approximate dimensions were 13 X 54, and it was
cut from what appears to be pretty standard 3/8 inch clear plate.

I live in Joplin Missouri, the southwest corner of the state. We were a
very wealthy mining community in thed 1800's, and were incorporated in the
late 1870's. Now, however, we are a third rate community with nothing
really going on here. We have some really fine glass workers here, but they
are working within the confines of the community's needs.

At the Peak of the community growth, however, we had some world class glass
artists working here. Not only did we have the guy who engraved these
plates, we had many 1/2 inch thick beveled windows cut, and leaded stained
glass that can stand with anything I've ever seen.

Now that I know what to call it, I will run a search. I already told the
folks that they would have to be shipping the work, since the likelihood of
anyone local doing it is just short of absurd.

Thanks for the advise. If you do happen to find out about anyone who does
this sort of work, I'd appreciate the information

You can reach me at

Old March 10th 05, 07:45 PM
Brian Gardner

Your hometown? You're kidding! Might I ask who you are? Did you ever run
a studio here?

"Moonraker" wrote in message
.. .
My hometown. How 'bout that?

Old March 10th 05, 11:37 PM
Javahut

[...]

You still watching this thread?

This guy has always done right by me.

http://glasslight.com/

Old March 11th 05, 04:39 AM
Brian Gardner

Oh, yes, I'm still watching.

Thanks for the link, I've emailed them and hope that we can get that done.

I'm still looking for other workers, though, since this guy looks to be a
step above doing a simple job like this. He seems to do mostly
architectural work.

Thanks a million.

Brian

Old March 11th 05, 05:16 AM
Moonraker

"Brian Gardner" wrote in message
Your hometown? You're kidding! Might I ask who you are? Did you ever

run
a studio here?

Born there. Both my parents went to JHS, but they moved to Jefferson City
when I was a small baby. After I graduated from Mizzou, my parents moved
back to Joplin and lived for 35 years on the main road in Tabor Woods. (The
barn-red ranch style house on the left side of the road). I still have an
Aunt and 3 or 4 cousins that live in Joplin . My maternal grandparents
lived at 22nd and Moffett. That was a fairly nice middle-class area, but I
bet it has gone down hill. I was last in Joplin for my Mother's funeral in
May of '03. I never did really live in Joplin, except to spend the summers
with one of my cousins. We cut a wide swath. ;)

What part of Joplin do you live in?

Old March 11th 05, 01:42 PM
Javahut

"Brian Gardner" wrote in message
Oh, yes, I'm still watching.

Thanks for the link, I've emailed them and hope that we can get that done.

I'm still looking for other workers, though, since this guy looks to be a
step above doing a simple job like this. He seems to do mostly
architectural work.

Thanks a million.

Brian

We all "like" to do the highest paying work all the time, but, paying a
little attention to the economy, do not count him out.

The job I sent him took less than an hour and as I recall was less than a
$100 job, which he did just fine on. Had to match an existing piece in a
light fixture.

I send him the quotes first on everything in that area of work, and he is
the one I have always used.
I don't go for the "lowest bid" situation, I go for whose work I know and
when can you do it.