Looking for McCall's Quilting Magazine, Back Issue

Old October 7th 04, 02:10 PM
Beth Pierce

Default Looking for McCall's Quilting Magazine, Back Issue

I've been trying to locate the August 2003 issue of McCall's Quilting
Magazine. I had seen the magazine in my doctor's office and noticed a
project in there, Vase of Flowers wall hanging.

I asked the office assistant to copy it for me and she did, but
apparently left out two pages. I have completed the quilt based on
the pictures and my weak memory, but need to know how the project
is quilted. I've been trying to order the back issue through Quilt
Shoppe, but have been having difficulty with their website. Would
anyone else have any resources on how to get this back issue?

Thanks for your help.
Old October 7th 04, 02:27 PM
CLAUDIAGW

Try their website. You can order back issues from them. If the issue is no
longer available - you can purchase the pattern for that particular quilt
project.

www.mccallsquilting.com

Old October 7th 04, 02:35 PM
Susie

Beth,
I'm a fairly new quilter but I have that magazine. )
Is it called "Fresh Cut Flowers" and it is a finished size of 15" by 35"?
The Quilting and Finishing instructions say "Layer and baste quilt top for
quilting method of your choice. Joyce machine quilted using a wide (1/2" -
3/4" free-motion zigzag with green thread to secure the stems.
Using gold or green thread (to match fabric), Joyce covered each flower and
leaf with a free- motion design that roughly follows the template shape.
The fun of Joyce's quilting is that it is not precise. Lines cross, and no
lines are spaced evenly, adding a natural, dimensional feel to the piece.
Using thread to match magenta background, Joyce quilted an allover swirl
pattern. The olive green background was quilted with wavy lines parallel to
the seam with machine thread.
Beth.........I can try to scan whatever else you need or I can send you the
magazine or the portion of what you would like,
Susie

Old October 8th 04, 01:11 AM
Beth Pierce

Thanks, Susie for the directions! Yes, that's the name of the wall
quilt--"Fresh Cut Flowers". I have the quilt layered and pin-basted,
and can see the outline on the leaves, tulips and stems but am having
trouble with my black and white photocopy of the magenta background,
the olive background and most of all, the tulle vase. Your directions
were great, but there isn't any quilting on the vase? How will it
stay on? Any ideas or does the magazine say?

You're soooooo helpful!

Old October 8th 04, 08:25 AM
Susie

Beth,
I guess I should have read on. )
It continues to say:
Referring to photo, place prepared tulle vase (Step 3) on quilted
background.
Joyce used wide (1/2" - 3/4") machine free-motion zigzag with olive green
thread to secure sides of vase. She used a (1") free-motion
zigzag to secure the base. The top opening the vase is left unstitched.
Bind with gold mottle fabric.
Here is a photo of the vase:
http://www.mccallsquilting.com/curiss/803_freshcut.htm
Let me know if you need anything else.
You are VERY welcome,
Susie

Old October 8th 04, 02:45 PM
Beth Pierce

Just goes to show my usual "get it done" mentality....I put on the
vase BEFORE I quilted. Darn! I think I'm going to use squiggly lines
in the vase; if I try to remove it, the tulle will melt. It's melted
already trying to get it to stick.

Now I'll sit down and write the directions like I should. I don't
want you to have to give up your copy of the magazine, although you
offered. There might be something later on you need in there. But if
you have the inclination to, please scan the directions, just the
directions as I already have the scanned image and I'll have the wall
hanging, and either post them or send me a personal email, and I will
truly write you down in my "I owe you one" book.

My sister's name is Susie, and you have certainly been an angel.

Old October 8th 04, 06:15 PM
Susie

Beth,
What is your 'real' email address?
I scanned them but I'm having trouble finding
out where it put them. By the time you get your address
to me hopefully I will have them. LOL.
You are very welcome,
Susie

Old October 8th 04, 06:26 PM
Susie

Beth,
Do you have cable access to your internet or phone lines.
These scans are big in file size.
Susie