cracked bottoms

Old August 26th 03, 09:47 PM
sandi

Default cracked bottoms

Hi All,
Does anyone know why the bottoms of some of my bowls get S cracks on them?
I make them all the same but maybe one out of ten will get that crack. I
compress the inside bottom while throwing and when trimming the bottom. It
seems to happen after they are all finished while they are drying. I wrap
them until they are hard enough to trim. Am I supposed to wrap them again
after trimming? Is there any way to fix it?
Sandi

Old August 27th 03, 07:40 PM
tony

After wedging, I look at the part of the clay I'm going to smack down on the
bat and if there is any evidence of wedging, grooves, folds etc, I wet my
finger and smooth it off first. Seems to help for me.
Tony

http://tonyolsen.com/up/

et...

Old August 30th 03, 03:06 PM
Slgraber

i think there may be something in the centering that leaves S cracks. some
pots - the ones where i may slack off fully centering and dive into the lifting
too soon - seem to have S cracks more then pots where i take full time to
center.

steve

Subject: cracked bottoms

Old September 7th 03, 11:30 AM
Eddie Daughton

In my experience it's usually down to "downforce" during opening. if you
are making a medium platter (about 12"+ across) lean on the base hard as you
throw, and keep on doing it ( i sometimes use a rib for this, but mostly the
flat of my hand + then the edge (good source of fine callouses(calli?)),
then when it's done make sure that the base dries out at the same speed
(even slightly faster) than the sides (with big platters use a bit of
asbestolux to put the pot on so the base don't sag inwards, and then change
it every 12 hours). It's a lot of work but it means that S cracks are only
an occasional pain...........
Can also be that you didn't wedge it properly, or centre it, but that
usually shows up during the throwing.....
Love
Eddie