looking for references on restoring spinning wheel

Old December 11th 05, 12:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default looking for references on restoring spinning wheel

Hello,
I just subscribed to this group planning to revive my hobby from many
years ago of knitting and maybe other crafts.
I'm also looking for some help to restore an antique spinning wheel I
found in the basement of my in-laws. Can anybody reference me ,
considering that I'm located in Brooklyn, NY? Are here any groups,
classes, known woodcrafters who may help?
Thank you,
Yulia

Old December 11th 05, 12:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

If you've got all the parts you'll be in business. Clean up the
joints, whack everything back together, replace the (presumably
leather) bearings with new leather you've soaked in neatsfoot oil,
lubricate all the other moving parts with 3-in-1 oil, and see how she
does.

Note: Most old flyer wheels are double-drive with a whorl that screws
onto the flyer shaft; righty-loosy, lefty-tighty for most of them.
Trying to force it off with a left twist may strip the wooden threads.

"How to be owned by an Antique Spinning Wheel" - offhand I do not
recall the author's name, but it gives good basic information on
reassembling and tuning old wheels

"Wheels and Looms - Making Equipment for Spinning and Weaving" - David
Bryant. Out of print, but you can get it through your (excellent)
public library system.

On 10 Dec 2005 16:45:45 -0800, "YW" spewed forth :

Hello,
I just subscribed to this group planning to revive my hobby from many
years ago of knitting and maybe other crafts.
I'm also looking for some help to restore an antique spinning wheel I
found in the basement of my in-laws. Can anybody reference me ,
considering that I'm located in Brooklyn, NY? Are here any groups,
classes, known woodcrafters who may help?
Thank you,
Yulia

+++++++++++++

Reply to the list as I do not publish an email address to USENET.
This practice has cut my spam by more than 95%.
Of course, I did have to abandon a perfectly good email account...
Old December 11th 05, 02:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Hi Yulia,

I can't help with the wheel, but want to say welcome to this great
group and come join us again. Check the yellow pages of the phone book
for your local yarn stores and they may also be able to help you.

Nora in upstate NY

Old December 11th 05, 06:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

In article .com, "YW"
wrote:

Hello,
I just subscribed to this group planning to revive my hobby from many
years ago of knitting and maybe other crafts.
I'm also looking for some help to restore an antique spinning wheel I
found in the basement of my in-laws. Can anybody reference me ,
considering that I'm located in Brooklyn, NY? Are here any groups,
classes, known woodcrafters who may help?
Thank you,
Yulia

Hello Yulia.

There are many different way you can go about this. You are living in a
big city, so look in you phone book or on the internet and find your local
Spinners and Weavers Guild. Not only will you find lots of people with
good spinning knowledge, but most Guilds will have a good library with
good reference to answer your questions. There are many different old
wheels, so take pictures of your wheel, so you can show it to people, it
will help in getting answers. Aldom Amos has written several very good
books on spinning and spinning wheels. Another good place to llok for
information is in your local library and you have several good ones in
your community. Again bring a picture with you to the library so you can
compaire and look. The Smithonian is also a great place to get info on
Wheels as well as the Textile museum in Washington DC, and the Canadian
textile Museum in Toronto. I am sure that both places are accessable via
the internet. If you E-mail me with a picure I can maybe tell you what
kind of wheel you have.

We had a small get together this morning for new members in our Guild who
wanted to learn to spin. Even with brand new spinning wheels, the putting
it together, can be thoroughly mixed up. We had an Ashford double snare
wheel here this morning and for one reason or another Ashford has made it
so you can make it into a single band drive with the break on the flyer.
Great confusion all around.

Send me picture if you can, I am curious and interested what kind of a
wheel you have, that needs fixing

Els
Old December 11th 05, 10:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Hope these help, welcome to our list
http://www.textilelinks.com/spin/wheelinfo.html

http://www.britannica.com/eb/article-9069146

http://www.joyofhandspinning.com/angora-care.html
regardless of the name and suggestions of angora rabbits there is on the
left a lot of links for Styles of wheels and parts and caring for your
wheel.

hth Cheers......Cher

oups.com...

Old December 11th 05, 02:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

"YW" wrote in message
oups.com..
.
Hello,
I just subscribed to this group planning to revive my
hobby from many years ago of knitting and maybe other
crafts. I'm also looking for some help to restore an
antique spinning wheel I found in the basement of my
in-laws. Can anybody reference me , considering that I'm
located in Brooklyn, NY? Are here any groups, classes,
known woodcrafters who may help? Thank you,

check the library for _The Care & Feeding of Spinning Wheels
(a buyer's guide & owner's manual)_ by Karen Pauli, published
by Interweave Press. ISBN #0-934026-04-1. the copyright is
1981, i have a 6th printing that i bought in '99, i think.
also Amos' Big Book of Spinning might be helpful. i don't
have all the info on that one at hand... it's in a box around
here somewhere...
lee

--
war is peace
freedom is slavery
Old December 11th 05, 07:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

In article , enigma
wrote:

"YW" wrote in message
oups.com..
.
Hello,
I just subscribed to this group planning to revive my
hobby from many years ago of knitting and maybe other
crafts. I'm also looking for some help to restore an
antique spinning wheel I found in the basement of my
in-laws. Can anybody reference me , considering that I'm
located in Brooklyn, NY? Are here any groups, classes,
known woodcrafters who may help? Thank you,

check the library for _The Care & Feeding of Spinning Wheels
(a buyer's guide & owner's manual)_ by Karen Pauli, published
by Interweave Press. ISBN #0-934026-04-1. the copyright is
1981, i have a 6th printing that i bought in '99, i think.
also Amos' Big Book of Spinning might be helpful. i don't
have all the info on that one at hand... it's in a box around
here somewhere...
lee

Lee I do think that Amos' book is also published by the interweave press.
It is a very good source as well to look at old and antique spinning
wheel.

Els

Els
Old December 11th 05, 08:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Hi Yulia! Welcome to the RCTY newsgroup! I'm sorry I can't help you about
the spinning wheel as I've never done this myself... but I just wanted to
welcome you to the group! )

Gemini

Old December 12th 05, 03:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Hi Yulia,
Although I cannot help you, I wanted to welcome you to the group.

Janise, from upstate NY