Need Help To Finish Project

Old June 12th 05, 09:25 PM
Raeadh`ani

Default Need Help To Finish Project

Hello All ^.^

I have a cross-stitching project and its almost finished. However, I am
rather confused. I am sure the solution is right in front of my face but I
don't see it. I have to use one strand of two different colors of DMC
metallic threads. However, though every site I've found so far says these
threads are able to be seperated just like the regular threads are, I can
not see how. The parts of the metallic floss seem to be braided together
along with a transparent appearing thread. And the more I pull to try to
seperate the individual strands, the longer the overall thread gets. Very
frustrating, actually. How does one seperate the individual strands of the
metallic floss??

Very appreciative of any help;
Rae

Old June 12th 05, 10:14 PM
Raeadh`ani

"Dawne Peterson" wrote in message

Are you sure you have the metallic floss the pattern calls for and not
another kind of metallic thread? What you are describing sounds very much
like a blending filament or similar specialty thread, with something
sparkly wound round a nylon core. The metallic floss does separate more
or
less readily (not as nicely as regular floss, but it does it) into
strands--at least, when I have used it, I have never had the problem you
are describing.
Dawne

I assume I am using the thread the pattern calls for as it was a kit, not
just the pattern. I am using the only metallic thread which came with the
entire set. I think I shall find a website for them and email them if I can
find any contact information. Thank you for the reply.

Rae

Old June 12th 05, 11:41 PM

If the metallic thread can't be separated into strands, then "one
strand" is the full thread, one length of which you put on the needle.

Hope this helps. I know how confusing instructions can be at times.

John

Old June 13th 05, 03:48 AM
Dawne Peterson

"Raeadh`ani" wrote
I assume I am using the thread the pattern calls for as it was a kit, not
just the pattern. I am using the only metallic thread which came with the
entire set. I think I shall find a website for them and email them if I

can
find any contact information.

Ahhh, different problem then. Maybe what you have is already one strand
and not meant to be divided any further--the DMC metalllic floss I was
thinking of is visibly six standed, and pretty much keeps together. What
you have may stitch up find though--best of luck
Dawne

Old June 13th 05, 07:52 PM
Tia Mary

Dawne Peterson said: "........ the DMC metallic floss I was
thinking of is visibly six standed, and pretty much keeps together.
......."

OOOO -- that DMC metallic is NASTY stuff to work with -- IAYP!!! I
stitched a model for Stitcher's World a few years back and had to use
the gold, silver and opalescent DMC. They paid me a bonus because of
how horrid that stuff was to work with. I think they even put a note
in the directions suggesting some Kreinik substitute for the DMC!!!
IckAckYuckPitOOOOi !!! CiaoMeow ^;;^

Old June 13th 05, 08:22 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

I love that DMC stuff that comes on the spools and is not stranded. You
use as is.

I worked with the stranded once and was not enamoured.
Dianne

Tia Mary wrote:
Dawne Peterson said: "........ the DMC metallic floss I was
thinking of is visibly six standed, and pretty much keeps together.
......"

--
"The Journal of Needlework" - The E-zine for All Needleworkers
http://journal.heritageshoppe.com

Old June 15th 05, 04:26 AM

My personal favourite is the Anchor Lame. It is SO nice to work with,
especially compared to the DMC stranded metallics. The lame is stranded
- about 12 strands per skein - so it still allows you to choose your
thickness by adjusting the number of strands.

The DMC stuff tends to unravel really easily at the ends, whereas the
lame does not.

Yvette Stanton, Vetty Creations
Author of "Elegant Hardanger Embroidery" 2002, 2005 and "Mountmellick
Embroidery: Inspired by Nature" 2004
www.embroidery.more.at