Partial Stitch on Aida?

Old January 11th 09, 12:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Patricia Amos[_2_]

Default Partial Stitch on Aida?

A chart specifying aida cloth shows a square crossed by a backstitch on
the diagonal and a small symbol of the color of the design on one side
of the diagonal. Is it practical (possible?) to do a partial stitch
here? If not, what does this mean I should do?
Old January 11th 09, 01:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

"Patricia Amos" wrote in message
A chart specifying aida cloth shows a square crossed by a backstitch on the
diagonal and a small symbol of the color of the design on one side of the
diagonal. Is it practical (possible?) to do a partial stitch here? If
not, what does this mean I should do?

If possible, I usually opt for the partial stitch when the instructions are
that way. I think it looks neater that way..

Old January 11th 09, 03:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
F.James Cripwell

Patricia Amos ) writes:
A chart specifying aida cloth shows a square crossed by a backstitch on
the diagonal and a small symbol of the color of the design on one side
of the diagonal. Is it practical (possible?) to do a partial stitch
here? If not, what does this mean I should do?

My guess is that this occurs at the edge of an area where the symbol is
one of the colours in that area. What I would do is to do a small
stitch, from the corner of the square to the middle of the square in the
corner where the symbol is. Easy on an even weave; a little bit of a
challenge on aida. Jim

Old January 11th 09, 07:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 1/11/09 8:09 AM, "lucille" wrote:

"Patricia Amos" wrote in message
A chart specifying aida cloth shows a square crossed by a backstitch on the
diagonal and a small symbol of the color of the design on one side of the
diagonal. Is it practical (possible?) to do a partial stitch here? If
not, what does this mean I should do?

If possible, I usually opt for the partial stitch when the instructions are
that way. I think it looks neater that way..

In agreement - just poke a hole through the Aida - it'll work.

Ellice

Old January 11th 09, 08:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dawne Peterson

"ellice" wrote :

"Patricia Amos" wrote
A chart specifying aida cloth shows a square crossed by a backstitch on
the
diagonal and a small symbol of the color of the design on one side of
the
diagonal. Is it practical (possible?) to do a partial stitch here? If
not, what does this mean I should do?

If possible, I usually opt for the partial stitch when the instructions
are
that way. I think it looks neater that way..

In agreement - just poke a hole through the Aida - it'll work.

Ellice

I keep a sharp needle at hand, and use it to poke a starter hole in the
middle of the Aida block for the cross stitch needle to go through. Works
fine.

Dawne.

Old January 11th 09, 09:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

"Dawne Peterson" wrote in message
el...

"ellice" wrote :

"Patricia Amos" wrote
A chart specifying aida cloth shows a square crossed by a backstitch on
the
diagonal and a small symbol of the color of the design on one side of
the
diagonal. Is it practical (possible?) to do a partial stitch here? If
not, what does this mean I should do?

If possible, I usually opt for the partial stitch when the instructions
are
that way. I think it looks neater that way..

In agreement - just poke a hole through the Aida - it'll work.

Ellice

I keep a sharp needle at hand, and use it to poke a starter hole in the
middle of the Aida block for the cross stitch needle to go through. Works
fine.

Dawne.

Now why didn't I ever think of that? ;^(

Old January 12th 09, 02:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Patricia Amos[_2_]

lucille wrote:
"Dawne Peterson" wrote in message
el...

"ellice" wrote :

"Patricia Amos" wrote
A chart specifying aida cloth shows a square crossed by a
backstitch on the
diagonal and a small symbol of the color of the design on one side
of the
diagonal. Is it practical (possible?) to do a partial stitch
here? If
not, what does this mean I should do?

If possible, I usually opt for the partial stitch when the
instructions are
that way. I think it looks neater that way..

In agreement - just poke a hole through the Aida - it'll work.

Ellice

I keep a sharp needle at hand, and use it to poke a starter hole in
the middle of the Aida block for the cross stitch needle to go
through. Works fine.

Dawne.

Now why didn't I ever think of that? ;^(

Yes,Yes!!!! Works well!!! Thanx everybody!!!!
Pat
Old January 13th 09, 06:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

ellice wrote:

On 1/11/09 8:09 AM, "lucille" wrote:

"Patricia Amos" wrote in message
.. .

A chart specifying aida cloth shows a square crossed by a backstitch on the
diagonal and a small symbol of the color of the design on one side of the
diagonal. Is it practical (possible?) to do a partial stitch here? If
not, what does this mean I should do?

If possible, I usually opt for the partial stitch when the instructions are
that way. I think it looks neater that way..

In agreement - just poke a hole through the Aida - it'll work.

Ellice

Use a smaller needle (like a size 28) and it'll go through the fabric
easier on those fractional stitches.

--
Karen C - California
Editor/Proofreader www.IntlProofingConsortium.com

http://my2.tupperware.com/KMCampbell

"On his tombstone, Benjamin Franklin wanted it said not that he had been
rich
but rather that he had been useful."

Finished 1/4/09 - BFF/Best Friends Forever (Bucilla)

WIP: Nativity from "Countdown to Christmas" book, Oriental Kimono
(Janlynn),
MLI The Teacher (gift to the library), Bethany Angel (Marbek)
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel, MLI Farmers Market

www.CFSfacts.org -- where we give you the facts and dispel the myths
Myths, with research cites: http://www.aacfs.org/images/pdfs/myths.pdf
Newest research blog: http://cfs-facts.blogspot.com/

Partial Seams Pat in Virginia Quilting 12 October 23rd 07 09:09 AM
Partial finishes Fey Quilting 0 June 26th 06 11:11 AM
for sale on ebay: Cross Stitch Fabric Natural 3 pk AIDA cloth G Marketplace 0 January 27th 04 11:43 PM
Partial Plating Don Wagner Jewelry 3 November 6th 03 04:29 AM
partial stitches question Ruthie Needlework 5 October 5th 03 10:16 PM