HST / QST question

Old July 28th 11, 07:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
claudia

Default HST / QST question

I'm having problems getting my posts to show up, so please bear with me if this shows up more than once!

Holidays are over and I'm full tilt into the design a quilt mode.

I plan on making two sampler quilts, one set on point using fabrics from the Moda Collection for a Cause Legacy line, and another set horizontally using fabrics from the Kansas Troubles Favorites line. I'm looking at 56 different 12" blocks for each, give or take.

So, I'm having a flatline moment: usually happens at around 4 am when I'm on call and not sleeping.

Designing the blocks using EQ5, I have come to the conclusion that Half Square Triangles (HST) and Quarter Square Triangles (QST) are basically the same thing just at a different angle. For example if I want to make flying geese units: I can use a 2" HST, put the 90º angle at the top and add either squares or triangles to the sloping sides to make a 4x2" unit. But I can also use a 4" QST and put the 90º angle at the top and add either squares or triangles to the two sloping sides and make a 4x2" unit.

Does this make any sense at all?? Or am I so dense that I'm missing some essential point here?

So what would be the advantage of using HST's or QST's?

Should I check in to the local mental hospital?

Thanks

Claudia
(who really needs to get herself off to bed!)

Old July 29th 11, 02:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marcella Peek

You're missing an essential point.

Half Square and Quarter Square triangles refer to block (or block units)
and not to triangles all alone per se.

A Half Square triangle unit is a square made up of two 90 degree
triangles sewn together.

A Quarter Square triangle unit is a square made up of four 90 degree
triangles sewn together.

It seems that you are looking at cutting rather than a finished pieced
item.

Frequently patterns use squares and cut them into triangles - either cut
once diagonally or twice diagonally to get triangle units. That's a
nice cutting trick. People seem to find it easier to cut a square into
segments rather than cutting strips and using the angle lines on their
rulers.

If you take a square and cut it diagonally once to get the triangles
needed for piecing the straight of grain will be on the two shorter
sides that form the 90 degree angle.

If you take a square and cut it twice diagonally to get the triangles
needed for piecing the straight of grain will be on the long side of the
triangle opposite the 90 degree angle.

Which triangle you use in your blocks depends upon where the straight of
grain will be most helpful in making a stable and square block.
Typically quilters like the outer edges of each block to be on the
straight of grain.

Hope that helps clear things up.

marcella

In article

,

Old July 30th 11, 04:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy E

Howdy!

Excellent explanation. Thanks, Marcella!

Ragmop/Sandy - answering once, wishing there was a "like" button ;-)

On 7/28/11 8:08 PM, in article
, "Marcella Peek"

HST and QST question claudia Quilting 2 July 28th 11 01:34 PM
HST: how do you do? Polly Esther[_2_] Quilting 37 May 8th 08 08:31 PM
free (potential) hst's [email protected] Quilting 0 April 13th 07 02:21 AM
Making HST Ann Quilting 21 August 16th 03 08:37 PM
RE; Lone Star using HST CHARLES MURPHY Quilting 0 July 24th 03 12:50 PM