the matter of how we feel regarding gaugues etc,

Old February 12th 07, 06:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Default the matter of how we feel regarding gaugues etc,

It so happened that , i went back to wearing some old sweaters, i made
25-20 years ago , of various wool thickness , they all keep warmth and
i enjoy them , than i found my shop owner , cleaned her ante room, and
found some of Same kind of wools, and sold them for virtaully nothing
, Before starting my planned sweater i swatched it ,,,, last time i
knitted this type was 10 years ago , i found that my Gugaue has
changed and i do like my new gauge much better than the old one ,,,,
Climate has changed , my Body`s reaction to heat /cold has changed.
Thus if somebody thinks to make polls about this matter , Climate ,
age of wearer , are also to be takien into acount , People aren`t the
same in thes matters.
mirjam
Old February 12th 07, 12:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Aud

"Mirjam Bruck-Cohen" skrev i melding
It so happened that , i went back to wearing some old sweaters, i made
25-20 years ago , of various wool thickness , they all keep warmth and
i enjoy them , than i found my shop owner , cleaned her ante room, and
found some of Same kind of wools, and sold them for virtaully nothing
, Before starting my planned sweater i swatched it ,,,, last time i
knitted this type was 10 years ago , i found that my Gugaue has
changed and i do like my new gauge much better than the old one ,,,,
Climate has changed , my Body`s reaction to heat /cold has changed.
Thus if somebody thinks to make polls about this matter , Climate ,
age of wearer , are also to be takien into acount , People aren`t the
same in thes matters.
mirjam

I just discussed this matter with my sister in law,
I told her my reaction to temperature had changed a lot,
she could not understand that.
But she is 6 years younger than me! LOL!
Aud ;-)

Old February 12th 07, 04:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Olwyn Mary

My reaction to both hot and cold temperatures has become more noticeable
since I had that pneumonia after Hurricane Katrina. I am very much more
sensitive to both heat and cold.

In addition, however, I find I must swatch each and every yarn I use.
Sometimes the identical yarn, in a different color, will swatch
differently. For instance, I have had the experience of a light color
yarn being much more fluffy than the same item in a navy or black.
Also, different colors often have a diferent feel. One baby yarn I
wanted to buy was very soft in one shade, and quite harsh in another.
Worst of all was the variegated one, which I thought was much too harsh
to put on a baby.

So, the only answer to "What gauge is best?" is...................
.................................................. ....
It depends!

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

Old February 12th 07, 07:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Aud

"Olwyn Mary" skrev i melding
.. .

In addition, however, I find I must swatch each and every yarn I use.
Sometimes the identical yarn, in a different color, will swatch
differently. For instance, I have had the experience of a light color
yarn being much more fluffy than the same item in a navy or black.

I seee what you mean, Navy yarn are often "thinner" than other coloures!
Many of our traditional patterns have been knitted in navy and white
the last years, and I, and others, have noticed that!
AUD ;-)

Old February 12th 07, 08:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
YarnWright

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen spun a FINE 'yarn':

It so happened that , i went back to wearing some old sweaters, i made
25-20 years ago , of various wool thickness , they all keep warmth and
i enjoy them , than i found my shop owner , cleaned her ante room, and
found some of Same kind of wools, and sold them for virtaully nothing
, Before starting my planned sweater i swatched it ,,,, last time i
knitted this type was 10 years ago , i found that my Gugaue has
changed and i do like my new gauge much better than the old one ,,,,
Climate has changed , my Body`s reaction to heat /cold has changed.
Thus if somebody thinks to make polls about this matter , Climate ,
age of wearer , are also to be takien into acount , People aren`t the
same in thes matters.
mirjam
---

nodnodnod, couldn't agree more, Mirjam!
Hugs,
Noreen

--

---
avast! AV: Outbound message clean.

Old February 12th 07, 08:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
YarnWright

Olwyn Mary spun a FINE 'yarn':

snipped to make my hilarious point

So, the only answer to "What gauge is best?" is...................
.................................................. ...
It depends!

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

Which was Ron Reagan's answer when asked if he wore briefs or boxers,
heeeheeehee!
"Depends".
lololololololol!!!!
Noreen

--

---
avast! AV: Outbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 000712-7, 02/12/2007
Tested: 2/12/2007 1:28:32 PM
avast! - (c) 1988-2006

Old February 12th 07, 09:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Carey N.

"YarnWright" wrote in message
Olwyn Mary spun a FINE 'yarn':

snipped to make my hilarious point

So, the only answer to "What gauge is best?" is...................
.................................................. ...
It depends!

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

Which was Ron Reagan's answer when asked if he wore briefs or boxers,
heeeheeehee!
"Depends".
lololololololol!!!!
Noreen

Figured I wouldn't be the only one to get that!! ;-))
--
Carey in MA

Old February 12th 07, 10:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Cece

Color is one of the things that can affect a yarn's loft. I've seen
ombre with the different colors along the strand of yarn giving
different sizes to the yarn! But in that case, the white part was the
thinnest.

What is harsh in the skein may not be after it's been knitted up and
washed. Red Heart acrylic, for instance, can feel very harsh (and
stiff) in the skein and as you knit, but after it's been through the
washing machine and the dryer, it is soft and drape-y. Different
manufacturers use different amounts of different "sizing."

Cece

Old February 13th 07, 05:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
YarnWright

Carey N. spun a FINE 'yarn':

"YarnWright" wrote in message
Olwyn Mary spun a FINE 'yarn':

snipped to make my hilarious point

So, the only answer to "What gauge is best?" is...................
.................................................. ...
It depends!

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

Which was Ron Reagan's answer when asked if he wore briefs or
boxers, heeeheeehee!
"Depends".
lololololololol!!!!
Noreen

Figured I wouldn't be the only one to get that!! ;-))

Good to *SEE* you, Carey, and glad we both still have our "warped"
senses of humour!

Noreen

--

---
avast! AV: Outbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 000712-7, 02/12/2007
Tested: 2/12/2007 10:54:15 PM
avast! - (c) 1988-2006

Old February 13th 07, 08:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

I ask people what they like, and I knit dreams. The asking is very
important .

No moods here. I knit the best fabric that I can. In cold weather I knit
wool. In summer, I knit cotton or linen or hemp. If it is just decorative, I
knit lace or open work. It is not loose, it is lace.

Nobody dreams of "Depends". One may have nightmares about them, but not
aspirations. (For those who missed the pun, see http://www.depend.com/ )

Aaron