OT Soap making?

Old September 23rd 03, 02:38 PM
Steve & Susan Wright

We also used the luffa sponges to make the soap. You wrap the sponges with
plastic wrap and then wrap with duct tape covering all but the top. You
pour your soap liquid mix in the top and fill all the way. Keep the sponge
upright by putting it is a tall glass. When it cools, you take off the wrap
and you have a soap filled luffa. I found the sponges cheaper at the
grocery than at Michaels. about half. You can cut the sponges in to
sections but make them at least 3" long and don't cut length wise.
Susan W

"scaperchick" wrote in message
On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 15:36:56 -0700, "meijhana"
wrote:

I was into it for a while. You can go to Michaels, and get a big block

of
the basic melt soap for around $8. depending on how many you wish to

make,
3-4 of these should do (especially if you wish to buy like 2 regular, and
two of the white.

You *can* use food coloring, but I would invest in the colors that they
have. Buy 2-3 of their colors, and 2-3 scents.

I have their flyer, and if you would like, I would be happy (when I have

few moments) to send you some of the recipes, where like you put

oatmeal/etc
into it.

Woo! Thank you for the great info, and I would love to have the
recipes, thank you! Also, thanks for the recipe for bath salts - we
were actually thinking of adding salts as an adjunct.

Saved and printed!

Old September 24th 03, 12:44 AM
scaperchick

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 13:38:42 GMT, "Steve & Susan Wright"
wrote:

We also used the luffa sponges to make the soap. You wrap the sponges with
plastic wrap and then wrap with duct tape covering all but the top. You
pour your soap liquid mix in the top and fill all the way. Keep the sponge
upright by putting it is a tall glass. When it cools, you take off the wrap
and you have a soap filled luffa. I found the sponges cheaper at the
grocery than at Michaels. about half. You can cut the sponges in to
sections but make them at least 3" long and don't cut length wise.

What an interesting, creative idea! Thank you!
Old September 24th 03, 12:47 AM
scaperchick

Groovy, groovy, groovy - thanks for the links Sooz!

I popped over Michael's today just to get started with basic supplies
- got a couple of bricks of soap, some scents and herbs, some colors.
We've got some of our own essential oils and herbs as well.

I like how you can put just about anything inside soap bars, it opens
up lots of possibilities.

You guys are the best!
Old September 24th 03, 02:09 AM
Jalynne

Ah, but Tina, my SIL makes shaped and scented lye based soaps. She uses goat milk
and essential oils. It's wonderful stuff, great for the complexion
--
Jalynne

"Christina Peterson" wrote in message
Only soap I've made is lye soap. So it's hard for me to think of shaping,
smellifying and shaping soap as "making" soap.

Tina

k.net...

Old September 24th 03, 03:41 PM
scaperchick

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 01:00:06 GMT, "Christina Peterson"
wrote:

Only soap I've made is lye soap. So it's hard for me to think of shaping,
smellifying and shaping soap as "making" soap.

No way I'm going to start messing around with lye! This needs to be
as simple an operation as possible.

I figured "OT: melt-and-pour soapmaking" would be too long a title to
fit on most people's newsreaders. It's really making a CAKE of soap,
adding shapes and colors, making a gift. The soap itself is already
made, which is why it's perfect for what I need.
Old September 24th 03, 10:29 PM
Kaytee

In article , scaperchick
writes:

fresh flowers would look nice at the start but be pretty disgusting
pretty quickly!

Sorry about the strawberry fiasco - ah well, it seemed like a good
idea, right?

What about dried/freeze dried plant materials?
Kaytee
"Simplexities" on
www.eclecticbeadery.com
http://www.rubylane.com/shops/simplexities

Old September 28th 03, 12:40 PM
meijhana

grumble, grumble

Because I got out that book for you, to get out the recipe, *NOW* I want to
make bath salts with the smelly stuff and all, since I have a bathtub that I
can play in, but can't go get the essential oils, and the colors (like the
colors are necessary!).

Then, last night, Ken was taking a bath, and the ceiling down here started
leaking. Found out the overflow was making a spot in the ceiling leak, so
now, we have to be super careful!!!

Mary

--
Joy multiplies when it is shared among friends, but grief diminishes with
every division. That is life.

Old October 18th 03, 10:53 PM
scaperchick

Hey guys, I just wanted to update and to thank you so much for your
helpful info about melt-and-pour stuff. My SO and I armed ourselves
with various soaps, e/o's, colors, and inserts and have been having a
ball. I've made probably 50 soaps already! I'm mostly dividing them
between decorative soaps (with flowers, designs, lots of fragrance),
and ones that are meant to be used (with healing ingredients like
honey, milk, oatmeal, what have you).

To whoever mentioned putting silk flowers in - it works beautifully
and looks gorgeous! Major thanks for that idea.

I also found a recipe for lotion bars, made with beeswax, olive or
sweet almond oil, and cocoa or shea butter. Lovely stuff, but MAN is
beeswax a pain to work with!

We're also doing bath salts, and possibly foot lotion. It's funny to
me that I've never been into crafts, but in the last year I've really
found myself enjoying the process of creating tactile things. I
haven't been able to afford beads for a bit, so this is a great
substitute for the crafting urge.
Old October 19th 03, 12:55 AM
Christina Peterson

Tactile. Yup. That's the thing for me. I sometimes refer to my hands
"thinking". Adding color makes it even better. Kind of tactile sensation
for the eyes.

Tina