Question about Dust

Old November 30th 03, 07:48 PM
DK666 Newsgroup

Default Question about Dust

How much dust is created in making decorative tiles and at what part of the
process is the dust generated ?

Any tips on how to control Dust ?

TIA-----

Old December 3rd 03, 12:32 AM
Steve Mills

This is a bit like asking *How long is a piece of String?*.
Almost any Pottery making process produces dust; you just have to be
careful and use good housekeeping practices like NEVER dry sweeping;
sprinkle damp sand or sawdust on the floor and sweep up with that. Never
scrape or sand down any dry clay without wearing a proper 2 cartridge
Respirator; paper dust masks are a useless unsafe waste of money. I know
that's a pretty strong statement, but I speak from personal experience.
Always wear a sheet plastic apron like a milking apron; woven cloth
aprons of any sort hold dust and when it dries you are walking around in
your own personal dust cloud. If you don't believe me stand in a shaft
of light and pat your clay laden apron and watch the dust! Plastic
aprons can be sponged down during and after work and don't hold
anything.
In short be sensible, we all absorb some clay dust, that's inevitable,
but at least we can keep it at a low level and STILL enjoy our potting.

Steve
Bath
UK

In article wbsyb.19125$o9.10696@fed1read07, DK666 Newsgroup