Knitting stitch ? and OrganicYarn?

Old February 12th 07, 12:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
jheller

Default Knitting stitch ? and OrganicYarn?

Hi all,
Hope all are well, safe and warm, about 40degress here, no snow.
But I have been knitting more, just sent a red hooded vest I knitted to
gbaby for Valentines.
I have a pattern for a childs knitted coat with a "Moss Stitch" k1 p1
is that the same as some call a "Seed Stitch"?
DD would like more things I make for them with Organic yarns,
What are the best places to buy this online? and what are good prices?
Thanks for the help.
Jenny
Old February 12th 07, 01:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Spike Driver

Jenny,

Wooly has sent this post before. I have looked at it several times and
I will order from it in the future. I want to try the bamboo and soy also.

Let us know what you think. The URL I gave you kind of explains soy,
bamboo and others.

Hugs & God bless,
Dennis & Gail

Old February 12th 07, 01:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Spike Driver

jheller wrote:
Hi all,
Hope all are well, safe and warm, about 40degress here, no snow.
But I have been knitting more, just sent a red hooded vest I knitted to
gbaby for Valentines.
I have a pattern for a childs knitted coat with a "Moss Stitch" k1 p1
is that the same as some call a "Seed Stitch"?
DD would like more things I make for them with Organic yarns,
What are the best places to buy this online? and what are good prices?
Thanks for the help.
Jenny

Sorry,

http://www.soysilk.com/aboutus.html

Dennis
Old February 12th 07, 01:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

Hi Jenny: Interestingly, Lion Brand yarns came out with an organic
cotton recently. I haven't tried it yet but it looks like a good
yarn. You can check it out on their website. Lionbrand.com
Marie and the cats

Old February 12th 07, 06:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Georgia

I think Moss Stitch and Seed Stitch are sometimes both used to name a fabric
produced by (K1 P1)* and (P1 k1)* on alternate rows. Other people call that
Seed Stitch, and reserve Moss Stitch as the name for (k2 P2)* alternating
with (p2 K2)*

My two cents.

Georgia

Old February 12th 07, 06:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Bernadette

Default Moss stitch

Georgia wrote:

I think Moss Stitch and Seed Stitch are sometimes both used to name a
fabric produced by (K1 P1)* and (P1 k1)* on alternate rows. Other
people call that Seed Stitch, and reserve Moss Stitch as the name for
(k2 P2)* alternating with (p2 K2)*

My two cents.

Georgia

I understood that what is called moss stitch in the UK is called seed
stitch in the USA.

I found a web site that explains better than I can but what they refer
to as American moss stitch is what my mother always referred to as
Irish or double moss stitch. See what you think http://snipurl.com/19yy9

Bernadette

Old February 13th 07, 03:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Georgia

I think I was flying by the seat of my pants. Those two pictures are what I
MEANT to describe. American Moss Stitch is two rows of (k1 p1) alternating
with two rows of (P1 K1), not what I said before.

Georgia

Old February 13th 07, 06:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

I like moss stich and use it when i knit vests and open sweaters for
the sides that will saty open , since i knit all parts together and
don`t add on any closures etc,,,,
But on the moebious edge it became a bit tiresome ,having a row of 548
stitches,,,,
still it is an elgant stitch , in Hebrew it is called OREZ = rice
stitch . mirjam

Old February 12th 07, 07:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
WoolyGooly

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 18:56:36 -0500, jheller wrote:

Hi all,

DD would like more things I make for them with Organic yarns,
What are the best places to buy this online? and what are good prices?

"organic" means different things to different people. Here in the
U.S. it is unlawful for any non-certified product to be called
"organic" so look for "natural" and "chemical-free" but be willing to
accept that most shepherds use a wormer of some sort a couple of times
a year.

You'll pay more (sometimes a LOT) more for chemical-free wool yarn. A
good price is one you're happy to pay in exchange for quality yarn.

Cotton is a different kettle of worms. There are so many cotton pests
around that most fields are dripping with insecticide. And cotton is
hard on the soil so there will be plenty of fertilizer too. You
definitely want to look for some sort of organic certification if you
want truly organic cotton yarn. No help from me on pricing. I
dislike working with cotton so I never bother noticing the prices.
Old February 13th 07, 03:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
jheller

jheller wrote:
Hi all,
Hope all are well, safe and warm, about 40degress here, no snow.
But I have been knitting more, just sent a red hooded vest I knitted to
gbaby for Valentines.
I have a pattern for a childs knitted coat with a "Moss Stitch" k1 p1
is that the same as some call a "Seed Stitch"?
DD would like more things I make for them with Organic yarns,
What are the best places to buy this online? and what are good prices?
Thanks for the help.
Jenny

Thanks for your help.
www.myspace.com/vcanknit