Engagement ring question -- Help!

Old January 24th 04, 07:01 PM
Artifax

Default Engagement ring question -- Help!

Hello

I was looking at a ring with a 0.5 carat diamond, E color, slightly
included. They want 2000 for the rock, with 500 for the ring (white
gold, 24 carat). This is at Wempe and in Europe.

I have a few questions:

-Does anybody know if this is a reasonable price for a diamond of this
carat and color?

-Also, is this reasonable for Europe, where typically prices are
higher?

-Does anyone have experience with this jeweler? Are they honest?

-Someone said it is better to buy diamonds loose, since otherwise they
could hide flaws in the setting. But could a novice find the flaws
anyway? Do reputable dealers cheat??

-Should you examine diamonds with a loupe before purchase, or is it
meaningless for a complete novice anyway?

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.
Old January 27th 04, 04:54 AM
Guy

When I bought my fiance's ring, I first found an indendent appraiser
who worked on her own, not as part of a jewelry shop. Then as I
looked at diamonds I'd ask for the diamond's GIA certification papers.
The GIA may just be an American insitution, but I bet there's a
European counterpart. Anyway, I took (and later faxed) each cert to
the appraiser and had her tell me if the price was fair.

She gave me all that advice for free and then I did the final proper
appraisal through her. It really helped to get advice from a
professional outside the of the sales process.

Guy
Old January 27th 04, 08:42 AM
Bawdy Arietta

The GIA may just be an American insitution, but I bet there's a
European counterpart.

Yes, indeed there is. Hope this will help.

http://www.egl.co.za/
Old January 28th 04, 02:13 AM
Walter Plinge

Considering even some experts can't tell a modern synthetic from a
natural
diamond, it's all moot.

Old January 28th 04, 04:08 PM
landerson

. ..

"Artifax" wrote in message
Hello

I was looking at a ring with a 0.5 carat diamond, E color, slightly
included. They want 2000 for the rock, with 500 for the ring (white
gold, 24 carat). This is at Wempe and in Europe.

I have a few questions:

-Does anybody know if this is a reasonable price for a diamond of this
carat and color?

-Also, is this reasonable for Europe, where typically prices are
higher?

-Does anyone have experience with this jeweler? Are they honest?

-Someone said it is better to buy diamonds loose, since otherwise they
could hide flaws in the setting. But could a novice find the flaws
anyway? Do reputable dealers cheat??

-Should you examine diamonds with a loupe before purchase, or is it
meaningless for a complete novice anyway?

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Reply: If this helps i know that my ring is a platinum diamond limited
edition ring. it has 0.5 diamond. and F1I clarity, G colour. iT COST
£2000 IN SCOTLAND FROM A SHOP CALLED BEAVERBROOKS, hope this helps