Drawplate Question

Old April 24th 05, 06:58 AM
Tinkster

Default Drawplate Question

Does anyone here know if you have to use a wooden drawplate for
finishing chains of fine silver done on a knitting spool?

Tink
Check here for available work:
http://blackswampglassworks.com/latest.htm
Old April 24th 05, 09:45 AM
Charlie

I've got a book that says you can use a metal one but there is a big risk of
lots of the metal being worn away and becoming very scratched. Simple way
to make a wooden draw plate -get chunk of wood and drill holes in it the
sizes you want. Voila!

Charlie.

Old April 24th 05, 03:17 PM
Susan B.

In article , Tinkster
wrote:

Does anyone here know if you have to use a wooden drawplate for
finishing chains of fine silver done on a knitting spool?

That's what I use. It doesn't work-harden the wire as much as a metal
one - keeps the lovely fluidity of the chain.

susan in canada

--
EBay Auctions:
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...iredwo mandes
Old April 24th 05, 07:04 PM
Tinkster

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 14:17:30 GMT, "Susan B."
wrote:

In article , Tinkster
wrote:

Does anyone here know if you have to use a wooden drawplate for
finishing chains of fine silver done on a knitting spool?

That's what I use. It doesn't work-harden the wire as much as a metal
one - keeps the lovely fluidity of the chain.

susan in canada

Susan!!!! You guys, especially you folks that are rather new here,
Susan makes the most incredible stuff! Check out her site at:
http://www.wiredwomandesign.com/index.html

So now I'm trying to figure out it it's spool knitting I want to do,
or the Viking chain thing. I want to end up with a chain that is
(after drawing down) about 1/8" or so.

Is this doable?

Old April 24th 05, 09:36 PM
Susan B.

In article , Tinkster
Susan!!!! You guys, especially you folks that are rather new here,
Susan makes the most incredible stuff! Check out her site at:
http://www.wiredwomandesign.com/index.html

So now I'm trying to figure out it it's spool knitting I want to do,
or the Viking chain thing. I want to end up with a chain that is
(after drawing down) about 1/8" or so.

Is this doable?

Tink

Thanks for your kind words Tink. I really do have to update my website
soon and put some new knit wire stuff up - this PhD study is definitely
getting in the way of other things, even though I'm really enjoying
myself.

1/8"? I think so, specially if you work with 26 ga wire and with a
single knit. I did something that size, but with a 3 pin spool and I
wasn't completely happy with the look, but I am going to try again with
a 5 pin spool - even after drawing down, a 3-pin chain still looks too
triangular to my eye ,whereas one knit with a 5-pin spool gives a much
rounder chain. As far as spool knitting vs. viking knit. I've come to
the conclusion that they are identical in end-result, or so close as to
look identical. What I like with spool knitting is that you're working
with one continuous wire, rather than having to splice wire in as you
go. Less fussing and I love the concept of a single wire from beginning
to end. Viking knit has a bit more mystique I suppose, but I will
always go with something that is less fussy given my druthers.

I keep looking at the Troll Beads site and liking what she's doing with
(I think Bali) chain that has a similar look to skinny knit wire chain
and one single silver capped bead.

susan in canada

Old April 27th 05, 04:20 AM
Georgia

1/8" Viking chain is doable; I've done it in 26 ga. fine silver.
www.georgiamorgan.net/assets/Jan'schain.jpg

Georgia

"Tinkster" wrote in message
On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 14:17:30 GMT, "Susan B."