Stretching a shrunken sweater

Old December 31st 04, 01:27 AM
Allaya Diep

Oh boy, Jenn, this is a pickle. First of all, what is the sweater made
of? If it's 100% wool, I'm afraid you're hosed. :P Sorry to contribute
such a negative comment, but perhaps others with more experience will be
able to give you some more helpful suggestions.

Allaya

"Jenn Bernat" wrote in message
news:Pine.LNX.4.56L0.0412302133480.22563@Psicorps. zathras.net...
I know it probably can't be done, but I've got to ask.

I have a wool sweater that's approximately 40 years old. It has been
well-loved first by my dad and now by me. This afternoon it met The Dryer.
Luckily I have lost weight this year, so the body still fits. But the
sleeves are now 2 inches too long. Do you think I could block it out to
stretch the sleeves?

I'd hate for this to be the end of the road for this sweater. Auntie
Marion, who knit it for my dad when he was a teenager, just died last
autumn.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Jenn

--
Jenn Bernat

Old December 31st 04, 07:39 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Jenn,,, sory it sounds like you can not repair this ,, but will have
toi alter ,, if , as you write sleeves got too long [?] you might
shorten them ,,, but if the too long means also too narrow? , my best
advice would be ....
Either, cut open the sleeves and add some knitted or crocheted stripes
!!
or cut off the whole sleeves and turn sweater into a vest ,, you will
still have the Basic body your aunt Marion made and have added your
addition , i think this is alos a work of love , when somebody does
that ... mirjam [ born Marion ]

Old December 31st 04, 11:53 AM
Sonya Cirillo

Wait - before doing anything - try getting it throughly wet - blot with
towels and try to 'block' into shape on a dry towel and let it dry. . .

If you can't get it back to close enough - then you'll have to get
radical - if the sleeves are just too long - that's pretty easy to fix
(well in the idea that it's easier to remove than to add) . . . if too
short - would a shortened sleeve go well with the style of sweater?
They are kind of out of fashion at the moment (I wear them anyway) - but
a sleeve that intentionally ends near the halfway point of the forearm
is a valid 'style' . . .

Good luck!!!

Sonya

Old December 31st 04, 01:02 PM
CHEX

About that getting it wet part, I'd add about a cup of hair conditioner to
the water and let it set for a hour or two, then try the blocking, The
conditioner seems to relax the garment and allow for more shaping

Old December 31st 04, 02:56 PM
Jenn Bernat

Thanks for the suggestions, especially the conditioner. I can't believe I
wrote "the sleeves are too long". That would have been a problem I could
easily block out.

No, I have a wool sweater with the sleeves too *short*. I'm going to try
washing it next week with some conditioner and see if I can massage an
extra inch into the sleeves. I know it'll only be temporary, but it's not
like I bathe in it, so temporary is long enough!

Thanks folks! Now I can relax and return to my mitten-knitting.
Jenn

--
Jenn Bernat

"Sweater pic" -- where can I find one? Carolyn Sewing 12 October 20th 04 12:49 AM
Aran sweater pix Slinky Yarn 36 February 3rd 04 07:28 AM
Pic of sweater Jenn Vanderslice Yarn 8 October 24th 03 03:46 PM
Using Guernsey technique on Norwegian sweater? H Schinske Yarn 0 October 15th 03 09:44 PM
EZ's baby sweater in the almanac Slick Hippy Chick Yarn 3 July 28th 03 02:41 PM