Status report and musings

Old September 8th 09, 04:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Edna Pearl

Default Status report and musings

"Roberta" Roberta@Home wrote in message
Are you making the one on Jinny Beyer's site, the 10" block? Otherwise
known as Ohio Star, one of the many varieties of 9-patch? If so, why
would anybody draft a 10" 9-patch and call it a good block for
beginners -that's absolutely a gumption trap if I ever saw one.
Roberta in D

Yup, that's it. I got it from a book instead of from Beyer's book, but it's
the same old block. Thanks for the reassurance. That does it; I'm putting
it aside until later.

I think maybe it's not really that hard once you learn the principle, but
I'm making dumb mistakes. The first time I made it, I cut the small
triangles badly but sewed them correctly, then the second time I made it I
sewed them all wrong.

Edna Pearl

Old September 9th 09, 02:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

I almost always sew triangles larger than I need, then trim the patch
to the exact size. Can be done with the 4-triangle patch too. But this
is a PITA if you have to figure out a third of 10", plus seam
allowance.
Roberta in D

On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 10:51:34 -0500, "Edna Pearl"
wrote:

.. .

Old September 9th 09, 07:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Edna Pearl

Good advice, again. It's not falling on deaf ears, Roberta -- thank you.

I have a book that just lists the relative measurements of the triangles and
subtriangles, to spare me the math. I figured out how to do the
four-triangle patch from this (after flubbing it one time), but then I sewed
it wrong (hypotenuses joining). Just rushing, absentminded. I sewed it
right the first time. Next time I'll know better. I also learned something
about chain-piecing/sewing in the process, though I can't articulate it.
You know, a lot of this is practice, practice, practice -- and the resulting
"feel" that I'm doing right or wrong.

Edna Pearl

Old September 11th 09, 08:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Michelle C.

Edna Pearl wrote:
Some of you may remember that I have been working on my first quilt. I
finished the taffeta piecework and satin border a couple of weeks ago, and
decided to put it aside until I improve my skills. So I put the quilt top
away. Last night I took it out and draped it over my bed. I'm surprised by
how lovely it is! It won't win any prizes for the quality of the work (or
for anything else :-), but it is really pretty!

Now I'm even more afraid to work on it again! I'm tempted to just back the
piecework, hem the border, and call it a bedspread.

For now, I'll just put it off while I work on other projects. I'm piecing
various blocks from scrap fabric, and expect it to turn into a nice sampler.
I'm certainly learning a lot while I do that. I've thought out the designs
for broadcloth Tree Everlasting for my SO and a sashed calico Churn Dash for
a friend, as well as a very simple patchwork of rectangles of linen and
coarse cotton for myself. I will try to learn how to handquilt for the Tree
Everlasting and see how well I can machine quilt on the simple linen.

I've had a wonderful life and have few fantasies of adventures to come, but
if there's one thing I want to do before I die it's to make a stack of
quilts! It is the most gratifying work, the reading and study are
fascinating, and designing is mentally challenging. I'm using arithmetic
and geometry skills I haven't dusted off in many years.

Just wanted to share!

Edna Pearl

Oooh Edna, your description of the taffeta and satin quilt is soooo
tantalizing. Can you shoot us a picture?

I love quilting too. So much fun and an endless outlet for creative
thought. Thanks for sharing your enthusiasm.

Best regards,
Michelle in Nevada

Directory Status Report AliceW Quilting 32 October 10th 06 03:58 PM
NYCO#2 status report Georgia Yarn 0 April 25th 06 02:59 AM
OT frappr map musings Elizabeth Young Quilting 20 November 17th 05 10:26 PM
Entirely OT musings... Noreen's Knit*che Yarn 2 April 3rd 04 12:59 AM
Featherweight Musings Taria Quilting 10 December 4th 03 07:55 PM