Quilts for returning wounded soldiers

Old July 10th 04, 06:47 PM
mauvicem

Default Quilts for returning wounded soldiers

the quilt guild of Southern Maryland is coordinating a quilt drive for
returning wounded soldiers....check it out here
www.qgsm.org , my group has 5 quilts in production after TRhursday night
discussion...this was mentioned in "Quiltworks" Aug/Sept.2004...sounds like
a good cause....
--
Mauvice in Central WI

Old July 10th 04, 08:54 PM
Polly Esther

Thank you for the follow-up, Mauvice. I notice they're saying as to size, at
least 36" x 36". That seems mighty small. What would you think would be
ideal measurements? Polly

Old July 10th 04, 09:08 PM
Susan Laity Price

A local quilt store is also collecting quilts. I hope it is the same
group as we don't want too much confusion.

The store told us that 36" by 36" would be for those in wheel chairs.
This is the same size the local nursing home recommends for their
residents in wheel chairs. That way they don't get caught in the
wheels.

Other quilts should be near 45" by 60" or a good hug size.

I made two quilts for the collection. Sorry I haven't any pictures. My
small quilting group tried the no waste flying geese technique for our
June gathering. I made mine in navy and gold and turned them into Ohio
Star blocks. These I alternated with an eagle print fabric, added a
thin inner border of gold and an outer border of eagles. There weren't
enough Ohio Stars so I added Four Patch blocks in navy and red for the
corners. The backing was a patriotic print. The navy and red four
patch looked so good with the patriotic print that I made a second
quilt alternating the four patch and the patriotic. For the quilting
on both I just did a stitch in the ditch on the block grid and random
stars in the borders.

Hope this description inspires others.

Susan

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 19:54:17 GMT, "Polly Esther"
wrote:

Thank you for the follow-up, Mauvice. I notice they're saying as to size, at
least 36" x 36". That seems mighty small. What would you think would be
ideal measurements? Polly

.. .

Old July 11th 04, 12:29 PM
mauvicem

My understanding from a friend familiar with wheel chair bound says that
many amputees feel exposed if their lap is not covered, so 36 x 36 is
adequate in this case.....
also I am thinking that some will just keep this momento of
thoughtfulness.....
Our group , Round Barn quilters has been making red, white(cream),and blue
blocks for several years, so we were prepared to respond immediately.....we
assembled 5 quilt top packets Thursday evening to distribute to those who
just want to sew, and planned several others from scraps of red white and
blue leftovers from other quilts.
Quite simple but very nice.

--
Mauvice in Central WI
ink.net...

Journal quilts Marjorie Needlework 3 January 26th 05 01:28 AM
Two NY Quilt Exhibits - Talking Quilts, Threads of Faith Kyrae Needlework 0 March 20th 04 03:42 PM
I got to see some old quilts Hanne Gottliebsen Quilting 5 September 30th 03 05:29 PM
Quilts, Quilt Books, Chocolate Pat in Virginia Quilting 4 July 15th 03 03:18 AM
quilts, quilt books, chocolate Pat in Virginia Quilting 0 July 10th 03 11:39 PM