Memory Quilt help Please!

Old August 8th 06, 09:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
joysjane

Default Memory Quilt help Please!

My husband is begging for a memory quilt, you won't believe what he wants on
it. But I have never done one. What is the best book I should get?
Hancock's is having a big sale this Saturday (don't know if the books will
be really reduced) or I can use my Joann's coupon too.

It will be a king size (gulp). I SWEAR it is the LAST king size I make.
Someone please guide me in the right direction.....I am scared......

joysjane
Martha

Old August 8th 06, 10:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate G.

you left us all hanging....

what does he want on it?

Kate in MI

Old August 8th 06, 10:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

If you are apprehensive about making a King size quilt, do consider
quilting it in sections, in one of the methods available. We have
discussed the topic many times before, so the threads will be in the
Archives (Google, groups, rec.crafts.textiles.quilting). Julia in MN
has a section on her website devoted to the subject, with instructions.
..
In message , joysjane
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old August 8th 06, 11:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Foster

In article ,
"joysjane" wrote:

My husband is begging for a memory quilt, you won't believe what he wants on
it. But I have never done one. What is the best book I should get?
Hancock's is having a big sale this Saturday (don't know if the books will
be really reduced) or I can use my Joann's coupon too.

It will be a king size (gulp). I SWEAR it is the LAST king size I make.
Someone please guide me in the right direction.....I am scared......

joysjane
Martha

Martha, we might be better able to help if we knew what he wanted on
it.... G
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old August 9th 06, 02:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
joysjane

All right, you asked for it!!! He is busy cleaning and selling off his
beloved stuff, which includes very high end stereo equipment and three mini
coopers (we sold one already (yeah!). So, his quilt is going to feature
pieces of stereo equipment and his cars and various car parts (it will be
two sided) and so on (the stereo in one of his mini coopers was $10,000), so
he is sad and wants memories!!!! (pursed lips and eyebrows raised).

BTW, I can do the king size, I just hate them and every time I do one I
swear it is the last one, and obviously it never is.

I made the mistake of asking him what colors he wanted and he started off
with the colors of his favorite mini cooper and so on. I thought he was
joking, until he said "then just go to the store and buy me a blanket",
well, you know how that felt. I said, now that was a low blow, and walked
out of the room, into the sewing room and started picking out colors for
him. But today, I realized what he is doing (and why - very, very long
story - and he isn't asking me to sell my sewing stuff, he is making
sacrifices), so I thought, okay, I'll try this.

So ladies, HELP!!!

joysjane
Martha

Old August 9th 06, 04:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

If you have a digital camera take lots of pictures and print
them onto fabric. Even if they don't go onto the front of
the quilt they can go on the back.

There are doubtless some good books around but imagination
is all you need. If you have a pattern of odd sized blocks
that have been joined together by small squares (say 2X2")
fill the blocks with the "memories and join with fabrics in
his favourite colours.

Or make Log Cabin or star blocks with memory centres.

The possibilities are endless. We make about one a month
here for birthdays, anniversaries, retirements, etc. They
have all been different, all gorgeous in their own way and
none from a book or pattern,

--

Cheryl & the Cats
_ _ _ _ _ _

:
: "joysjane" wrote:
:
[...]
: --
: Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
: my ISP is earthlink.net -- put sfoster1(at) in front

Old August 9th 06, 11:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Fey

joysjane wrote:
All right, you asked for it!!! He is busy cleaning and selling off his
beloved stuff, which includes very high end stereo equipment and three mini
coopers (we sold one already (yeah!). So, his quilt is going to feature
pieces of stereo equipment and his cars and various car parts (it will be
two sided) and so on (the stereo in one of his mini coopers was $10,000), so
he is sad and wants memories!!!! (pursed lips and eyebrows raised).

Well thank the Maker he didn't want the names of his old girlfriends
toghether with their vital stats in colours to match their hair!

Fay

Old August 9th 06, 02:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
joysjane

How do you print them onto the fabric?

I was hoping for bigger squares maybe 6x6 or 8x8, then sash, figure how many
I need for the size and then add the border. I just don't know how to get
the pictures onto the fabric.

Martha
joysjane

:

Old August 9th 06, 02:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Foster

In article ,
"joysjane" wrote:

How do you print them onto the fabric?

I was hoping for bigger squares maybe 6x6 or 8x8, then sash, figure how many
I need for the size and then add the border. I just don't know how to get
the pictures onto the fabric.

Martha
joysjane

Martha, the easiest way is to buy the pretreated fabric sheets (EQ makes
them now, and Printed Treasures is good -- June Tailor brand is rather
stiff) and send them through your inkjet (not laser!) printer. Of
course, this means that your pics must be digital and in your computer.

A cheaper option is to buy a fine-weave fabric in white (so as not to
add odd colors where you don't want them) and treat it yourself with
Bubble JetSet. This takes longer, of course, and isn't as convenient,
but it does save a bit of money. You still need to have your pics in the
computer.

I've done both, and I have to admit that I've had better luck with the
pics lasting when I've used the ready-made sheets. HTH.