OT front loading washers

Old July 22nd 06, 04:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Default OT front loading washers

thanks Sunny. What are you bleaching fabric for?
Taria

Sunny wrote:

Love mine. Wouldn't trade for another top loader on a bet. Only
drawback is I now bleach fabric in a bucket. It's not really a problem
as I typically don't bleach out color for more than a yard or two at a
time.

Sunny

Old July 22nd 06, 04:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Thanks Kate. It appears there have been some shake ups in major
appliance companies lately so gotta check who really makes what
machine.
Taria

Kate Dicey wrote:

Things I like/find useful:

BIG door, for getting duvets and quilts in and out

Large load capacity (cheaper to was one large load than several smaller
ones! I usually have at least two dark loads each week!)

'A' rated for water/electricity consumption

Hot and cold fill (gas is cheaper than electricity)

Half load, light soiling and extra rinse options

Boil wash and 'hand wash' programs

Prewash option for very dirty things

1400+rpm spin

Been looking at LGS: will never house another Whirlpool appliance as
long as I get the choice.

Old July 22nd 06, 04:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

They don't let me mess around with anything as messy as dye so
I am ok there. ; )
Thanks,
Taria

Marcella Peek wrote:

I've had my front loader for almost 8 years and I really do love it.
Washes huge loads, spins the water out really well so drying doesn't
take forever, nice water bills ;-)

What it doesn't do is soak, as in fill up with water and sit there
because they don't fill like a top loader. So, if you are a pre-soaker
you need to adjust. If you do hand dyeing or somesuch where you need
the ability to soak the fabric then you might consider the new high
efficiency top loaders or if you have a large sink use that instead.

marcella

Old July 22nd 06, 04:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Looking at a week or two for the going Jessamy. Mine isn't a
dead duck yet.
Taria

Jessamy wrote:

go for it!

much better on all fronts! front loaders are the norm here and with reason!

Old July 22nd 06, 04:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

You know I've never had a matched set of washer and dryer.
DH wants to leave the old washer/ dryer in the house we
are in now and get a new set up for when we move back to the
desert house. DD there now and her laundry is commuting
back to me. Thanks Linda
Taria

nana2b wrote:

I love my front loading machine. It uses less water and detergent, spins
things almost dry and is gentler on the fabric too. I also purchased the
matching gas dryer (updated the pair after 15yrs) which is so much more
efficient. Towels & sheets are dry in less than 25 minutes and fluffy too.
Mine are LG. YMMV, Linda in Tx

Old July 22nd 06, 04:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN

Taria wrote:
Time to upgrade my washing machine. Water going up 29% and I need to
reduce. The old machine (as Candice Olsen would say) doesn't owe anyone
anything. It has served long and hard. I'll take any good and bad
comments or things to watch for in the newer front loaders.

Oh, I prewash my fabrics so I guess this might be on topic : )
TIA, Taria

My daughter really likes her LG. She had a Fisher-Paykel in her old
house; that's an energy efficient top loader that uses much less water
than a conventional top loader. As a bonus, both also spin much drier
than a conventional top loader so clothes dry much faster. Look for the
Energy Star designation. Some utility companies give you a rebate for
buying Energy Star appliances.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old July 22nd 06, 12:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bonnie NJ

I'm finding all this info very interesting.....my Maytag washer is 25 years
old and has been making some weird noises when it stops agitating and starts
to spin.
--
Bonnie
NJ

Old July 22nd 06, 12:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther

I know exactly what you're hearing, Bonnie. Mine sounds like a B-29 revving
up her motors for takeoff. Polly

nk.net...

Old July 22nd 06, 12:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

Mine has a "soak" setting: a pause button. Also great for the odd occasion
when the plumber turns up much earlier than expected and needs to shut off
the water!
Roberta in D

Old July 22nd 06, 01:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate Dicey

Taria wrote:

Thanks Kate. It appears there have been some shake ups in major
appliance companies lately so gotta check who really makes what
machine.
Taria

I have 'history' with my machine... It washes a treat, but!

Bought the original WP when the old AEG died rather dramatically! The
day it arrived the drive belt dropped off. WP wanted to wait three days
to fix it, which was unacceptable, so the guy I bought it from came out
and did it, then tore sheds of WP for their crappy service!

Six months later it nearly went up in smoke! BOILED a 30 degree wash
for a couple of hours, melted the soap drawer it got so hot, and I
needed to wear oven gloves to turn it off.

They argued about replacing it, built I eventually got a new one, but
the trim cracked within weeks of it getting here...

Ho hum! Never again. I have better things to do than argue with after
sales droids who don't know their arse from their elbow and veto a
replacement recommended by their own service engineers!

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!