Talking about quilty goals

Old October 25th 05, 04:23 AM
Patti S

Default Talking about quilty goals

Sweet Tina
I'm just too embarrassed to post how many "duh" moments I have had. I'm
not an expert by any means, and probably will never have anything "show
worthy". Log cabin was the very first block I tried, and then, Ohio
Star. They both turned out horrible. Crooked bindings, wrong colors, you
name it. I've simply learned to put together what I think looks good, do
my best, and not worry about the quilt police. Over the years, I have
developed a fondness for applique, and quilts with a BIG center motif of
some kind. No matter what, the recipient always thinks they're works of
art, and it warms my spirit. I think that's what's important. The
learning process never stops.

Many hugz
Patti in Seattle

"forgiveness is the fragrance the violet sheds on the heel that has
crushed it"
**mark twain**

Old October 25th 05, 08:42 AM
Patti

If you're going to try some smaller quilts, Wendy, I have found that a
basic 24" approx. for the centre + a couple of small borders is a very
useful size. You don't have to use too much fabric, but nothing is so
small that it is really difficult. My set of mathematical quilts was
made at that sort of size and I really enjoyed it.
..
In message , frood
writes
I'd also like to make some more small quilts, in order to try out some
design ideas. There's no reason I have to make a big quilt just because
whimsy strikes.

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old October 25th 05, 12:42 PM
Roberta Zollner

Welcome to Step 2 on the long and delightful quilting journey! You have come
to the point where you're able to break down the big picture into its
individual steps, and you realize that each part is something within your
skill range. It's just a matter of sticking to it long enough to get all the
parts assembled!
As the saying goes, one part inspiration and nine parts perspiration.
Roberta in D

"Tina" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
ups.com...
I posted on Morag's thread about my goal to learn how to do those Log
Cabins and all its variations....

but part of the reason I came to this conclusion, that I want to learn
how to do that, is that in looking at some of the really awesome quilts
at the Festival, I have realized that they really aren't all that hard
or involved. SOME of them anyway. Some of them are simplistic
patterns that LOOK really hard just because of the way they have been
turned or manipulated or changed just a wee bit, or the fabric
combinations.

For example, the Museum reproduction quilts in Kaffe Fassett's Exhibit
(I got to see him again today, close up and listen to him explain how
he did some of those quilts, he's SOoooo handsome!) anyway, I
digress.... but those quilts, are NOT difficult quilts. If anything,
they are some of the most simplistic patterns I have ever seen. Common
Snowballs and Nine Patches, but the fabrics he has used and the WAY he
has used them, make them look like a ton of work! Not only that, I was
shocked to get a really close up look and find that some of those
"blocks" are like "cheater" fabrics! They aren't really blocks at all!
DUH!

So anyway, it made me realize, that with some time, patience and
learning how to group the right fabrics together, I could make some
really awesome quilts too, and it wouldn't require a quilting degree!
LOL

Does anyone else have these kinds of profound realizations? Or am I
really that dim witted?

Hugs,
Tina

Old October 25th 05, 04:46 PM
Marcella Peek

My mom started making every quilt baby quilt size a few years ago. No
matter the class or pattern she found she made it crib size. It gives
her a chance to try new things without the Queen size quilt investment.
It's small enough to quilt easily on her home machine if she wants. She
is setting them aside for her someday great grandchildren. The
grandkids all know when they grow up and have kids they can pick one.

marcella

.

Old October 25th 05, 04:47 PM
Marcella Peek

I had my mom and sister test a mystery quilt pattern for me. When they
were finished my sister - a relatively new quilter - said she would
never have tried the quilt if she had just seen a picture as it looked
so complicated. She said the final product would have looked to hard
for her to do. I think that is also the appeal to some with mystery
quilts. They can't psych themselves out that the project is too
difficult.

marcella

Old October 25th 05, 05:30 PM
C & S

What a wonderful idea and without the stress of a large quilt. It's a great
way for her to keep quilting.

Carole
Champlain, NY

"Marcella Peek" wrote in message
My mom started making every quilt baby quilt size a few years ago. No
matter the class or pattern she found she made it crib size. It gives
her a chance to try new things without the Queen size quilt investment.
It's small enough to quilt easily on her home machine if she wants. She
is setting them aside for her someday great grandchildren. The
grandkids all know when they grow up and have kids they can pick one.

marcella

Quilty New Year's Goals frood Quilting 71 January 8th 05 10:32 PM
report on Jan goals, set Feb goals Cathy Biro Needlework 11 February 5th 04 01:00 PM
January goals Siptah Needlework 0 January 4th 04 08:27 PM
December Goals (report on November Goals Lynn Hansen Needlework 1 December 1st 03 06:03 AM
October Goals (report on September goals) Lynn Hansen Needlework 5 October 2nd 03 05:20 PM