simply quilts episode HELP!

Old October 23rd 05, 03:33 AM
Kate G.

Default simply quilts episode HELP!

I remember seeing an episode of Simply Quilts where they talk about making
circles for applique (like grapes and berries).

I think (if I remember correctly) that they used some kind of little plastic
washers -- does anybody remember seeing this? Or has anybody seen anything
like ready made flat plastic circles that could be used for templates for
circles?

Thanks!

Kate in MI

**about 1/2 - 2/3 finished putting DSister's HUG top together -- and it's
looking great... thanks to so many of you!

Old October 23rd 05, 03:47 AM
Liz A.

I remember this episode. It was mylar washers as they are heat
resistant. I found them in our local "have it all" hardware store.

LizA.
Kent, WA

Old October 23rd 05, 04:05 AM
shhdesigns

another alternative is using the appropriate sticky circles used for pricing
garage sale items. You can find them in different sizes at dollar stores.
Some folks don't even bother to take them out.

Put the sticky side out to hold onto your seam allowance. I've not tried
it, but have purchased some "just in case".

--
Sandi in New Westminster B.C.
Queen of the Travelogues

Old October 23rd 05, 04:12 AM
Phyllis Nilsson

I remember seeing that show. She said she originally used washers, but
they were too thick or something. I can't remember if she drew circles
of plastic and then cut them out or if she used something else that
was plastic. Lot of help I am!

Old October 23rd 05, 04:27 PM
Judy

Uh - TSWLTH (and probably your local QS) carries heat resistant mylar
plastic sheets. When I needed a few circles, I traced around a thread spool
(on the mylar), cut out the circle and then punched a hole in the middle.
(Hole was to use a pin to hold plastic to fabric for cutting - and to
(later) run a cord through to keep the circles together in a bunch)
When I cut out the fabric, I traced the circle with pencil on the wrong
side, and added about a 1/4" extra for tuck under. I used machine (long
stitch) to stitch around the edge; put the plastic circle in, then pulled
the thread to gather the edge around. Then I pressed it with a hot steam
iron and let it cool. Cut the thread so I could take the plastic out, and
then re-pressed to keep the edge folded under.
(re-read that - not sure if it makes sense to you -- but it worked for me.)
Made a pretty good bunch of grapes for a Fall WH.
ME-Judy

Old October 23rd 05, 04:54 PM
Julia in MN

You can also iron 2 or 3 pieces of freezer paper together, cut your
circle from the now-heavier freezer paper, punch a hole in the center,
and use as you would the plastic "washer". You can even press/iron the
template to your fabric to hold it in place while you gather the
edges.Press the edges in place over the template. To remove the circle,
stick a pencil tip or a stiletto or some other pointed object through
the hole you punched and pull it out of the nice little round piece
ready for applique. The paper is flexible enough so you may not have to
remove the gathering stitching.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old October 23rd 05, 05:46 PM
Betty in Wi

Both these methods.....plastic and freezer paper also work for English paper
piecing. Right down to the hole in the center. Great for making a
Grandmother's Flower Garden.

Betty in WI

Old October 23rd 05, 06:17 PM
Marcella Peek

In article ,
"Kate G." wrote:

I remember seeing an episode of Simply Quilts where they talk about making
circles for applique (like grapes and berries).

I think (if I remember correctly) that they used some kind of little plastic
washers -- does anybody remember seeing this? Or has anybody seen anything
like ready made flat plastic circles that could be used for templates for
circles?

Thanks!

Kate in MI

It was mylar washers from the hardware store. I bought some but they
were much thicker than the metal ones I found. The metal ones I like
are brass and about as thick as a sheet of cardstock. You just have to
let them cool a few minutes after pressing as the metal gets hot.

You can also buy pre-made circles made of non melting plastic. I think
they're called circle ease.

marcella
Old October 23rd 05, 07:33 PM
Liz A.

The mylar washers I found at the hardware store were much thinner than
the nylon or the metal ones. If you can't find them, I'd be more than
happy to pick some up for you. Just let me know what size(s) you need.

LizA.
Kent, WA

Old October 23rd 05, 09:05 PM
Anna Belle

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 11:27:55 -0400, "Judy"
wrote:

Uh - TSWLTH (and probably your local QS) carries heat resistant mylar
plastic sheets. When I needed a few circles, I traced around a thread spool
(on the mylar), cut out the circle and then punched a hole in the middle.
(Hole was to use a pin to hold plastic to fabric for cutting - and to
(later) run a cord through to keep the circles together in a bunch)
When I cut out the fabric, I traced the circle with pencil on the wrong
side, and added about a 1/4" extra for tuck under. I used machine (long
stitch) to stitch around the edge; put the plastic circle in, then pulled
the thread to gather the edge around. Then I pressed it with a hot steam
iron and let it cool.

An extra step that helps, is the spray starch the heck out of the
gathered fabric. It helps the circle hold the shape when you remove
the mylar circle.

Another note, mylar is a little difficult to cut smoothly. If you get
little jigs(techinal term) use an emory board to smooth the edges.

Cut the thread so I could take the plastic out, and
then re-pressed to keep the edge folded under.

Still need to do the second press when you use spray starch.
(re-read that - not sure if it makes sense to you -- but it worked for me.)

Perfect sense to me. Can you tell I have used the process you
describe.?\

Anna Belle in Palm Bay, just waiting for Wilma & waiting & waiting

Simply Quilts Hankies Tina Quilting 6 April 9th 05 01:15 AM
Simply Quilts Schedule for April - No fooling! AliceW Quilting 2 April 5th 05 11:48 AM
Simply Quilts March Schedule Gothikka Quilting 1 February 26th 05 02:04 PM
Sad news for Canadian fans of Simply Quilts Allyson Brown Quilting 7 October 17th 04 08:52 PM
Petition to keep Simply Quilts on the air twice a day Hope Quilting 12 August 6th 03 10:19 PM