new to this

Old October 22nd 05, 10:56 AM
Kate Dicey

Default new to this

Kerensa Slay wrote:

Hello all. This is my first time trying out newsgroups. I've been a member
of a few quilting groups through yahoo groups though and am currently in a
few at the moment.

I only belong to this newsgroup for quilting. I dare not belong to more
quilting groups! I'd never have time for 'real' sewing! (I'm a
dress and costume maker, and belong to a couple of professional lists
and some historic costume groups.)

I just started quilting in June of 2004 with an online yahoo quilt group.
Jumped straight in with both feet and made my very first summer mystery
quilt. A little wavy but not bad considering I didn't have all the right
tools to work with. Have come a long way since then, and a lot more tools
and fabric too lol

I started quilting 3 or 4 years ago, and I came here for advice. I
wanted to make my son a quilt (all space themed fabrics and he loves
it). However, first I made a practice quilt, then another one got made
by accident... Then I had this idea, and I joined a couple of swaps....

I am 34 years old, married with two children ages 11 and 14 and three
furbabies (2 cats and 1 dog). I live in the NW Florida Panhandle between
Pensacola and Panama City Beach.

I'm nearly 49, my one and only is just 11, and I'm waving at you from
the top of the North Downs, in Kent, UK! Welcome to one of the best
groups on the net!

I have, to date, made a king sized mystery quilt that is currently on my
bed, a trip around the world baby quilt, and three wallhangings, one of
which was completely paper pieced and one was embroidered. I have only
quilted the smaller ones myself and a friend quilted my king size with her
Long Arm after taking pity on me trying to use my Pfaff lol. I don't
consider myself a quilter yet, only a piecer lol ;-) I have a yahoo photo
album online where I keep all my quilting photos also.

I shall go and have a look later...

So how do these news groups work? Nice to meet you all.

It works like this:

You post, you're a member. You get to tell us if you have any 4 footed
furry Quilt Inspectors (I find that cats are particularly good at test
driving quilts in all stages of construction), what your chocolate
preferences are, and as much or as little about kids and family as you
are comfortable with. We advise against posting home/work phone numbers
and addresses. Ads of all sorts are forbidden (we eat spammmers raw for
breakfast!), but you are welcome to post details of good shopping
experiences so we can share the excellent service or deals. The rule
is, basically, tell us so long as YOU make no profit from it. There are
some FAQ's about somewhere...

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old October 22nd 05, 01:37 PM
frood

Thank you, Kerensa! Now that I know how to say it, I forgot how to spell it
and had to go back.... I'm in NC, and some of the names here are not like
they are spelled. Kure Beach is pronounced Curry; Kerr is car, and Hello is
pronounced "hey". G

The elephant quilt is currently at the quilter's and I should be getting it
back any day. And soon, I'll finish a pair of I Spy quilts and post those
pics with the happy owners.

--Wendy
un-STUFF email address to reply

"Kerensa" wrote in message
link.net...
Wendy, have been checking out your quilts and I love your very large lap
quilt! I learned to make the block you used while attending my very first
appliqué class earlier this year. One day I plan on giving it a try with
the machine instead lol I adore all the different prints you used in it!
Whenever I am at a quilt shop I look through their fabrics for ideas and
I'm always drawn to that section ;-)

Your boot stocking is just too adorable!! And I love Pink Elephants on
Parade! Thanks for letting me browse through your photos!

Hugs,
Kerensa

"frood" wrote in message
m...
Hi, Kerensa! Lovely name - I hope I'm pronouncing it in my head
correctly.
Welcome to one of the friendliest newsgroups around!

--
Wendy

Old October 22nd 05, 02:30 PM
Queen of Squishies

News groups work pretty much like you just did it! Hop on, introduce
yourself, and you're in!! Welcome aboard, Kerensa!

Karen, Queen of Squishies

Old October 22nd 05, 02:59 PM
Patti S

Hi Kerensa
You will like it here. Lots of amazing talent, and answers to any
quilting question you could possibly have. Welcome!

Patti in Seattle

"forgiveness is the fragrance the violet sheds on the heel that has
crushed it"
**mark twain**

Old October 22nd 05, 04:07 PM
nana2b

Welcome Kerensa, Lovely to meet you. Linda in Tx

Old October 22nd 05, 04:23 PM
Sandy Foster

In article .net,
"Kerensa" wrote:

Hello Sandy and thanks for the welcome! I think I'm finding my way around
fairly well so far ;-) I sure do have pictures posted where you can see
them! Lots of pictures lol One day I'll design my own website for them,
but need a few more quilts under my belt first lol

You can find my photos he
http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/a_web_junkie/my_photos

Thanks for looking at them! I'm currently working on teaching myself to
hand quilt using a Fabric Challenge quilt that I made in the SFQ yahoo
group. It just calls for handquilting lol
--

Kerensa, I've just spent a happy half-hour browsing your pics! Thanks!
You've certainly done a lot -- I love your paper-pieced blocks. Your

I know what you mean about certain pieces just "calling" for hand
quilting! I do both hand and machine quilting (started with just the
hand quilting, though) and love them both. Some quilts want to be
machine quilted, some want to be hand quilted. Things just go better
when we listen to our quilts! LOL!
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old October 22nd 05, 05:00 PM
Butterfly

I'll share my Good 'n Plenty with you (I'm one that doesn't 'do'
chocolate......not by choice....but I'm use to it now)
Thanks, Diana..now I have someone to thread my needles once again : )

Butterfly

"D Curtis" wrote in message
http://oii.org/cyberu/html/usenet.htm This page might help you understand
how news groups are different from web page based groups.. but first,
welcome to RCTQ! Take a seat over there next to Butterfly and watch out
for the shameless beggers, especially that kiwi over there who loves LIME
and the ones eatting all the chocolates. The rest of us are like a party
mix of nuts, something to suit every taste.
Diana, in WI

Kerensa Slay wrote:
[...]

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend
will
be sitting next to you saying, "Wow...that was fun!"

My Quilting Photos
http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/a_web_junkie/my_photos

Old October 23rd 05, 02:11 PM
SNIGDIBBLY

Welcome aboard. Always glad to meet another quilter.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
news

Old October 23rd 05, 09:05 PM
Anna Belle

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 01:57:41 GMT, "Kerensa Slay"
wrote:

Hello all. This is my first time trying out newsgroups. I've been a member
of a few quilting groups through yahoo groups though and am currently in a
few at the moment.

I just started quilting in June of 2004 with an online yahoo quilt group.
Jumped straight in with both feet and made my very first summer mystery
quilt. A little wavy but not bad considering I didn't have all the right
tools to work with. Have come a long way since then, and a lot more tools
and fabric too lol

I am 34 years old, married with two children ages 11 and 14 and three
furbabies (2 cats and 1 dog). I live in the NW Florida Panhandle between
Pensacola and Panama City Beach.

At what point between the two? DS #2 is in Ft. Walton Beach, even
through the storms. We make the trip several times a year.
Have you visited the Cotton Loft in DEstin? It is on the list for our
next trip. Welcome to the list, sounds like you belong.
I also have EQ.

Anna Belle in Palm Bay, getting wet from Wilma

Old October 24th 05, 05:06 AM
Kerensa

OMG yes! I went to The Cotton Loft for my first appliqué class lol I am
only 45 minutes, if that, from Destin and about 35 minutes from Ft. Walton
Beach! (depending on time of year ya know lol, summer there is always more
traffic lol) I'm actually 1/2 way between Crestview and DeFuniak Springs
lol

Take care down there! Tell Wilma to go away!
Hugs,
Kerensa