Knot terminology

Old January 12th 04, 12:27 PM
Jostmo

Default Knot terminology

Do the terms "capsize" and "spill" mean the same thing?

Specifically, does any one word refer to the way a knot changes shape when
tightened (as the carrick bend does) and is there any term that refers to a
knot becoming mis-shapen and useless (probably because it was tied
incorrectly.)

I'm working with Boy Scouts and would like to be able to talk clearly about
the difference between these two situations.

Thanks.

Old January 12th 04, 06:11 PM
Brian Grimley

"Jostmo" wrote:

Do the terms "capsize" and "spill" mean the same thing?

I would usually use the word capsize to mean that the knot under
tension collapses into another knot. For example, I would say that if
you pull apart both ends on one side of a reef knot, it will capsize
into a lark's head around the second end (rope).

I would use the word spill to mean that the knot unties. For example,
if you pull on the end of a slipped half hitch it spills. That is, you
are left with a piece of rope with no knot in it.

To return to the reef knot, I would say that if an end of a reef knot
is snagged, then it may capsize into a lark's head and spill.

As a further example, if you look at the "one handed" or the "trick"
way to tie a bowline (ABOK 1014), then depending on how you pull on
the rope, the Marlinspike Hitch will capsize into a bowline or will
spill.

Specifically, does any one word refer to the way a knot changes shape when
tightened (as the carrick bend does)...

If you are starting out with the flat form of the carrick bend
(unseized), then I would say that it collapses or deforms into its
final form or shape. (may not be generally used)

and is there any term that refers to a
knot becoming mis-shapen and useless (probably because it was tied
incorrectly.)

I would say that "this is the tangled mess (Not a Knot :-))that we are
left with when I make that mistake" :-). I might also say it capsizes
into this mis-shapen and useless tangle.

Jostmo: I think that this is a great question! Since the definition
and usage of words is quite varied, I look forward to reading other
people's answers to your question. When I think about it, I tend to
use the word "collapse" rather than "capsize" - probably incorrectly.

Brian.

Gordian knot HAWKNFROG Knots 3 February 4th 05 05:58 PM
Knot for making a net Helmut Dreyer Knots 4 January 10th 04 03:30 PM
New Net Knot? Brian Grimley Knots 11 November 9th 03 03:08 AM
Trip bowline; Inside hitch; Tarbuck knot Dan Lehman Knots 1 August 22nd 03 05:29 PM
Winch strap knot? werlax Knots 1 August 9th 03 03:20 PM