I want to ask something....please humbly help me.....

Old June 1st 07, 03:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
willi

Default I want to ask something....please humbly help me.....

"Facts: He asked for something without offering anything in return"

The only real issue here seems to be the shipping issue in my mind.
Personally after following all your links, I think he would be a good
bet to return the book. He wasn't specifically asking for books to be
shipped from 'the other side of the world'...someone in Malaysia that
was so inclined could have responded to his request. Remember that
the internet is a world wide phenomenon not a U.S. phenomenon. In any
event, it seems to me people 'ask for something without offering
anything in return' on this thread and others all the time. The net
is about community...its about sharing.

"(all of the above is evidence that he is doing this for a hobby, that he
is not impoverished and trying to do this to eke out a living, that he
claims to be bored and looking for something to occupy his time, etc.) "

"Evidence" that this is a hobby...sounds scary. Oh my goodness...I
must be in the wrong place. I didn't realize that I had to be making
a living from my craft to be able to share things online...or that I
had to be impoverished. I thought it was about community...about
sharing. However, if I'm mistaken, perhaps some kindly soul please
me direct to the right branch of the web for hobbyists. I promise I
will offer something in return...

As to the links...unless I'm just totally incompetent when it comes to
the net...the Celticxstitch post was the only one that dealt with
seeking information. If this is cyberbegging we are all in deep
doodoo!

Hi everyone,
I've a favour to ask...Does anyone have a cross-stitch pattern that is wedding themed?
I've a cousin who is getting married in July and wanted to give her a cross-stitch present.

So,If anyone does have a pattern that is wedding-themed,could you share it with me?

If anyone has it,do contact me ASAP at .

Thank you so much and have a nice day

Timothy Galisin
Sabah,Malaysia

As to: " that he claims to be bored and looking for something to
occupy his time, etc."

Now there's a sin. He also claims to be lonely...he's looking for
friends...for companionship...he's human...he actually sounds like a
nice young man. I read nothing of what you read...perhaps I didn't
dig deep enough...

But 19 is also an adult and old enough to not be coddled. And anybody
on the internet really should be taught how to fend for their own self,
so to speak.

Coddled?...hmmm...no sirree...no coddling here...

Let me be absolutely clear here. I, too, also subscribe to the 'teach
a man to fish theory'...but, I think those teachings should be
accompanied by compassion and a warm heart PARTICULARLY with kids.

Breathe, relax...shine your love...make one person laugh today...the
world will be a better place.

Nuff said...

willi

Old June 1st 07, 03:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
willi

I was also heartened by the many polite and informative

And, therein lies the bigger problem. People have every right to be
cautious about an unknown new poster to this or any n/g who comes on here
wanting someone to send him something. The Internet is full of scams and
schemes to part the kindly and innocent from their cash.

Of course they do. That is simply common sense...no one is
questioning that.

As someone said to me privately - sure, send him the book, and IF he
sends
it back, who knows what might be in the parcel. Sorry to sound alarmist,
but in this post-911 time, where people were sent Anthrax in their mail, you
have no guarantees that something horrible like this could not happen.
There's nothing wrong with erring on the side of caution.

OH PULLEEZE...Of course, erring on the side of caution is sensible.
Exaggeration to make a point is one thing...but... I guess all these
sock exchanges, etc. that go on might contain anthrax as well...and I
guess people should stop donating little hats and scarves to charity.
Who is going to check all these things to make sure there are not
toxic agents in the yarn. I had no idea that I couldn't trust my own
judgment and common sense...I better start paying more attention.

It turns out that this same person has been begging on other

newsgroups as
well, so it would seem the caution is well-founded. I make no apologies for
that.

'IF" it turns out...I see no 'evidence' of that.

In any event, I'm tiring of this issue...nuff said

On May 31, 11:33 am, "Shillelagh" mwrote:
"willi" wrote in message

oups.com...

Previously on other crafts sites (I will go dig up the sites and post
URLs if anybody really needs to know),

Actually...considering that Tim has been thoroughly trashed here...I
think that might be appropriate. I'm sure Tim is long gone, but I
find this thread to be a sad lesson in human nature.

Actually, I was impressed with the number of polite and informative posts to
him, with links to what he "seemed" to be asking for.

We have no 'facts' about this person or his real situation in life that I

can
see, really just conjecture.

And, therein lies the bigger problem. People have every right to be
cautious about an unknown new poster to this or any n/g who comes on here
wanting someone to send him something. The Internet is full of scams and
schemes to part the kindly and innocent from their cash.

As someone said to me privately - sure, send him the book, and IF he sends
it back, who knows what might be in the parcel. Sorry to sound alarmist,
but in this post-911 time, where people were sent Anthrax in their mail, you
have no guarantees that something horrible like this could not happen.
There's nothing wrong with erring on the side of caution.

It turns out that this same person has been begging on other newsgroups as
well, so it would seem the caution is well-founded. I make no apologies for
that.

Shelagh

Old June 1st 07, 04:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

It is, of course. But someone -- I forget who -- seemed to be
practically insisting that he was asking for handouts because he was
desperately poor and trying to improve himself. I was just refuting
that assertion.

And Usenet is about sharing -- about sharing INFORMATION, not about
sending people tangible objects that there is no guarantee that they
would return.

Old June 1st 07, 10:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
DAB

Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply wrote:
It is, of course. But someone -- I forget who -- seemed to be
practically insisting that he was asking for handouts because he was
desperately poor and trying to improve himself. I was just refuting
that assertion.

And Usenet is about sharing -- about sharing INFORMATION, not about
sending people tangible objects that there is no guarantee that they
would return.

The thing I would add is yes only the shipping may be all one needs to
concern themselfs with, but depending on where the book is being shipped
from the Customs charges can mount up.

Old June 2nd 07, 02:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

DAB wrote:

The thing I would add is yes only the shipping may be all one needs to
concern themselfs with, but depending on where the book is being shipped
from the Customs charges can mount up.

Oh, I totally forgot about that!
Old June 2nd 07, 03:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
DAB

DAB wrote:

The thing I would add is yes only the shipping may be all one needs
to concern themselfs with, but depending on where the book is being
shipped from the Customs charges can mount up.

Oh, I totally forgot about that!

I sent a 10 dollar memory book to Germany a few years ago and paid 50 total
to shipping plus customs fees.

Old June 2nd 07, 06:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

DAB wrote:

I sent a 10 dollar memory book to Germany a few years ago and paid 50 total
to shipping plus customs fees.

Hmm, another good reason not to send books overseas to people who say
they can't afford to buy them *best innocent look*