Repair/replace brooch closure

Old October 30th 05, 06:32 AM
Betty Vereen Hill

Default Repair/replace brooch closure

I have a vintage rhinestone brooch (circa 1940) that I can no longer
wear, as the c-shaped closure mechanism which should lock around the pin
has become very loose. The last time I wore the brooch, I suddenly
realized it was literally hanging onto my clothing, as the closure had
moved enough to allow the pin point to slip out of the closure, and the
pin then slipped out of the fabric of my dress. Is it possible to
repair the closure alone, or is replacement of the pin back the only
option? If anyone in the group has had experience in this regard, I will
be very grateful for your guidance.

Betty in Georgia

Old October 31st 05, 03:23 PM
Carl

Betty Vereen Hill wrote:

I have a vintage rhinestone brooch (circa 1940) that I can no longer
wear, as the c-shaped closure mechanism which should lock around the pin
has become very loose... Is it possible to
repair the closure alone, or is replacement of the pin back the only
option? If anyone in the group has had experience in this regard, I will
be very grateful for your guidance.

Betty in Georgia

Very hard to say without seeing it.

It could be as simple as a single appropriate squeeze with a pliers.
Could be it needs to be replaced. Or anywhere in between.

I get a lot of this sort of work, sometimes it's worth it, sometimes
it'd cost more than the piece is worth to the customer. You need to
think about just how much you'd be willing to pay in the worst case,
then find someone willing to take it on. If it's as simple as it might
be, you'll pay the minimum labor fee, or maybe even get it gratis. If
it's more difficult, you could see costs as high as $50. Hard to say
from here.

Carl in Massachusetts