clay too soft

Old December 7th 03, 08:33 PM
BErney1014

Default clay too soft

Is there a type of polymer clay that is stiff? Sculpy2 is just too soft for the
work I'm doing.
Thank you
Old December 7th 03, 10:46 PM
Cichlid

Premo can be soft but it is much stonger as a finished product.
Flexible not brittle.
Denise

On 07 Dec 2003 20:33:10 GMT, (BErney1014) wrote:

Is there a type of polymer clay that is stiff? Sculpy2 is just too soft for the
work I'm doing.
Thank you

Denise in Austin
http://tanstaafl512.tripod.com
Old December 8th 03, 12:20 AM
BErney1014

Premo can be soft but it is much stonger as a finished product.

What I meant to ask is stiff clay before finishing. I need a stiffer clay to
apply detail.
What clay is the hardest before cooking?
Thanks much.
Old December 8th 03, 12:33 AM
Diana Curtis

Premo is stiffer before curing than Sculpey lll
HTH
Diana

--
Queen of FAQs
Royal Peace Maker

Old December 8th 03, 04:19 PM
Katherine Dewey

You can remove some of the excess plasticiser (the liquid that gives the
clay its pliability) to obtain a stiffer clay.

Using a pasta machine or roller, roll out thin sheets of clay
(approximately 1/8th inch thick). Sandwich the clay sheets between clean
sheets of paper creating a paper/clay sandwich and place a weight on the
stack (a book will do). Check it after 6 hours for firmness and change
the paper. Repeat until you're satisfied with the consistency.

I use leached clay in my work and the following "fitness test" to
determine if the clay's right for modeling:
Roll the the clay into a ball and cut the ball in half. Put the ball
back together by sealing the seams using thumb or finger strokes only.
If the clay loses its shape, it's too soft for modeling. If seams blend
easily, yet the two hemispheres retain their shape, the clay's generally
just right.

Hope this helps,
Katherine Dewey

http://www.elvenwork.com

Hope this helps,
Katherine Dewey

Old December 9th 03, 01:25 PM
BErney1014

You can remove some of the excess plasticiser .....

Thanks, that should do it. I've never worked with PC and wanted to do some work
that I usually carve in basswood but with finer detail.
Appreciate the advice.
Bruce in NJ

Poly Clay/ wicked Candace Stephanie Beads 49 September 12th 04 03:07 AM
Kato clay... Louise Polymer Clay 4 November 18th 03 11:37 PM
AD: Softflex- Soft Touch Sale ACCENTBEAD Beads 0 November 3rd 03 08:54 PM
Sculpey Eraser Clay - one year later Irwin Polymer Clay 3 October 21st 03 09:06 PM
Modeling clay as a substitute for "clay bars" for auto detailing? Jon Noring Polymer Clay 4 September 23rd 03 12:36 AM