Finding an old style tool

Old January 18th 16, 06:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Night Mist

Default Finding an old style tool

On Sunday, January 17, 2016 at 6:03:54 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I just came across your post while I was searching for Ari/Arri hooks

Although the post is a few years old I thought I'd reply.

The hook is a tambour hook and you can get replacement hooks for the holder. The modern hooks are not so grand and the one you have is valuable.

I sell the modern hooks from my website www.tambourbeadembroidery.com

If you look on the section about buying a hook there is a video showing hooks and holders

Jan

Not all such tools are for tambour.
My handle came to me in an old candy tin accompanied by several "eyeless needles", both bent and straight, that were probably intended for fine sewings in bobbin laces, and similar delicate constructions. It also included an awl, a tatting hook (may be a crochet hook, it is hard to tell) and a fine latch hook, all with matching (fixed) handles.
You certainly could use a fine tambour hook for minute lace sewings, I have no doubt that it was done.
I have seen some antique "kits" that included a handle, the needles, and tambour hooks all together. Generally along with other items such as netting shuttles, needles, and gauges, or other assorted lace making tools.

The eyeless needles have a flat side where they clamp in, which is what gave me the notion to try a sewing machine needle in the handle.

Having given it some thought I think I may have attached the name bodkin to my thing because one of my grandmas had a similar such a thing that she used for pricking patterns for transfer, and patterns for bobbin lace, and she called it a bodkin.

NightMist

New tool Pipe Man Marketplace 0 December 6th 07 04:05 AM
New tool, at least to me Kate T. Quilting 6 July 26th 06 03:10 AM
I get a new tool! Kalera Stratton Beads 9 June 12th 04 08:05 AM
Mission Style? Prairie style? Cheryl Isaak Needlework 12 August 26th 03 11:30 AM
Name that tool! SlinkyToy Yarn 5 July 7th 03 06:26 PM