Lion Incredible ribbon yarn for sweater?

Old May 23rd 07, 09:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default Lion Incredible ribbon yarn for sweater?

Alison wrote:

I recommend the check-off sheet (I use either a table in MS Word or an
Excel spreadsheet.)

Ooh, I could get into a check-off sheet -- I make lists for everything.

I need to get more experience reading *and following* patterns, etc.,
before I try socks -- I have extra-extra-wide calves and am going to
have to tweak any sock pattern I have to fit them.

Melinda, who is SOOOOO dying to wear knee socks in the winter again
Old May 23rd 07, 09:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
The Other Kim

Melinda wrote:

Vintage Purls wrote:

It may be everything you imagined and more (and I hope it is), but
when one is a novice at anything (and even when one is an expert),
doing something for the first time often leads to a less than perfect
result. If you can love the journey and love the outcome even with
its
flaws then happiness will be yours.

Are you saying that it is never wise to get advice and help from more
experienced people, that one needs to just thrash it out on their own
and take their lumps when they get them?

Actually, it's been my experience that asking those with more knowledge
is a good thing. Even those of us with 30+ years of knitting experience
don't know everything...yet g

If so, if someone came to this group and said, "I have knitted scarves
and plain rectangles and am ready to try something a little more
challenging like a sweater/jacket/cardigan/whatever that doesn't have
anything really fancy, just regular knitting and learning how to
create the basic item before doing anything fancy like fancy stitches
or whatever. What would you recommend as a good beginner project?"
would you just tell them to pick out the first pattern that appealed
to them, ignoring the difficulty level, or would you have some good
suggestions?

In that case I'd find a pattern for a simple pullover or open cardigan
with little shaping, using larger needles, even. There's much to be said
for instant gratification in one's first major project.

Melinda, hoping that this group is not antipathetic to people who are
trying to learn to knit in their limited spare time

Not at all. We encourage and even enable people who are just starting
out. I would have jumped in earlier, but I have not used the yarn in
question and generally don't like using ribbon yarns so avoid them like
the plague.

For someone just moving on from scarves I'd probably recommend something
from The Yarn Girls' Guide to Simple Knits. This book is full of easy
patterns using heavy worsted to ultra-chunky yarns and big-to-huge
needles - the smallest size I saw was 9 - for that instant gratification
I mentioned earlier.

Take that spare time and knit a few rows at a time. You'll see wonders
appear :-)

Good to see you here.

The Other Kim
kimagreenfieldatyahoodotcom