regarding Kitchen disasters

Old August 7th 03, 08:33 PM
Lucille

Katherine, have you ever roasted a chicken with the neck and gibblet parts
tucked in side a plastic sealed bag inside the cavity of the
chicken.....
--

Hasn't everyone at least once? And then wondered what was that god-awful
smell.

Lucille

Old August 7th 03, 10:40 PM
Katherine Burgess

"Els van Dam" wrote
Katherine, have you ever roasted a chicken with the neck and gibblet parts
tucked in side a plastic sealed bag inside the cavity of the
chicken.....the very first time a cooked a chicken on my own, I did
that.....or..... get the little plastic cushion under a roast, stuck in
the roasting pan....yak yak...... has happend to me as well.

Yes, I have. (Hangs head in shame) I was sipping wine and just forgot
to take them out. Sigh!
Katherine

Old August 8th 03, 06:09 AM
Els van Dam

In article , "Lucille"
wrote:

Katherine, have you ever roasted a chicken with the neck and gibblet parts
tucked in side a plastic sealed bag inside the cavity of the
chicken.....
--

Hasn't everyone at least once? And then wondered what was that god-awful
smell.

Lucille

Yes the smell is a stinky memory...... like a noose-worm....????? LOL

Els

--
delete doba to email me.....:=))
Old August 8th 03, 06:13 AM
Els van Dam

In article , "Katherine
Burgess" wrote:

"Els van Dam" wrote
Katherine, have you ever roasted a chicken with the neck and gibblet parts
tucked in side a plastic sealed bag inside the cavity of the
chicken.....the very first time a cooked a chicken on my own, I did
that.....or..... get the little plastic cushion under a roast, stuck in
the roasting pan....yak yak...... has happend to me as well.

Yes, I have. (Hangs head in shame) I was sipping wine and just forgot
to take them out. Sigh!
Katherine

Well at least that is a good excuse.....must better than mine.....I just
did not know that chickens came that way...come to think of it there was
an awful lot I did not know about.......at that time in my life.....

Els

--
delete doba to email me.....:=))
Old August 8th 03, 01:13 PM
Katherine Burgess

"Els van Dam" wrote
snip
Well at least that is a good excuse.....must better than mine.....I just
did not know that chickens came that way...come to think of it there was
an awful lot I did not know about.......at that time in my life.....

You sound like my SIL. When she first married my brother, she decided to
make Jello, using water from the tap, since she didn't know that you had to
boil it to dissolve the crystals. Needless to say, it didn't gel. g
Katherine

Old August 8th 03, 09:27 PM
Els van Dam

In article , "Katherine
Burgess" wrote:

"Els van Dam" wrote
snip
Well at least that is a good excuse.....must better than mine.....I just
did not know that chickens came that way...come to think of it there was
an awful lot I did not know about.......at that time in my life.....

You sound like my SIL. When she first married my brother, she decided to
make Jello, using water from the tap, since she didn't know that you had to
boil it to dissolve the crystals. Needless to say, it didn't gel. g
Katherine

Oh Yes....I had never hear of Jello jelly before.......and I was also at
aloss on how to do it...also I did not read write or speak any Enlish
either Yes, No and anyway got me a long way. "Anyway"..... I picked up
sitting behind two women, who held a lively conversation, in the
streetcar, and I knew right away what it did in a sentence....

Otto, who spoke good English had a rule, when we were in Canadian
company, if I wanted to talk I could only speak Enlish.....LOL....For me
there was only one way.....learn Enlish fast....I would have died if I
could not put in my two cents worth......Anyway...here I am now....LOL

I could boil potatoes, and bake pancakes and indeed make a
strudel......boil an egg and make tea.....But after all you just at the
beginning of life and marriage, the learning is done all along the
way......

Els

--
delete doba to email me.....:=))
Old August 16th 03, 09:41 PM
Katherine Burgess

"Ray Almond" wrote
We ended up having to get a new kettle after DH put the plastic jug
kettle down on the top of the electric stove. None of the rings had
been on but the grill, which was just below the rings, had been on
until a few minutes before and there was enough residual heat to melt
the bottom out of the kettle. That stank for weeks!

The kitchen disaster I haven't been allowed to forget by the friends I
lived with at the time was the first Christmas after I left home (nearly
20 years ago) when I was lodging with a married couple. Jane was
working Christmas Day (she's a midwife) so we were having our main
Christmas dinner on Boxing Day but on Christmas Day we had the vicar's
son and Jane's brother with us and Ross and I were cooking. For the
pudding Ross wanted instant custard made. The instructions on the tin
are for a pint of custard but we decided that we only wanted 1/2 pint.
So I made it up, heated most of the milk, used a little to stir into
the powder, added the sugar, added the rest of the milk, stirred. When
we went to serve it you needed a knife to cut it up - I'd managed to
halve everything except the amount of custard powder!

LOL I can picture that!
Katherine

Old August 17th 03, 12:40 AM
Claire

"Ray Almond" wrote in message

snipped
.. The instructions on the tin
are for a pint of custard but we decided that we only wanted 1/2 pint.
So I made it up, heated most of the milk, used a little to stir into
the powder, added the sugar, added the rest of the milk, stirred. When
we went to serve it you needed a knife to cut it up - I'd managed to
halve everything except the amount of custard powder!

--
Ray Almond

Sounds like my MIL's gravy! One lump or two?

Claire