kiln suggestions

Old April 3rd 08, 06:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Dana

Default kiln suggestions

Hi. I am going to be purchasing my first electric kiln. I want a cone 10
capable. Right now it is only for my use but eventually i am hoping to do
private instruction so i don't want a really small kiln. the kiln will be in
my garage so i am going to also need vent hoods or hoses to get rid of
fumes. I would love to hear some suggestion of size and models and any other
issues i might not be aware of.

Thanks
Dana

Old April 4th 08, 12:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
D Kat

I cannot recommend an electric kiln that can be fired to cone 10. I would
like to point out though that you fire below the temperature that a kiln is
capable of firing to. So a kiln that can fire to cone 10 would be fired to
cone 9 at most. Your elements corrode with time and the temperature they
can reach decreases over time. May I ask are you planning on firing to cone
10?

I very much like my L&L e28S - (easy fire, 28 width, two rings high - it
also comes as e28T - three rings high). It is rated for cone 10 but I would
never fire that high with it. Donna

Old April 5th 08, 06:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Dana

Hi donna. Thanks for the reply. This is what is going on with my firing
situation. My pieces are currently fired in a commercial gas kiln at the
studio i work out of. the colors come out vibrant, the glosses extremely
shiney. I would like to come as close as i can to getting those wonderful
colors. What cone do you tend to fire at? How often does your kiln require
maintenance?

dana

Old April 6th 08, 01:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
D Kat

I am firing to cone 6. I started out using a gas kiln and I can tell you
that while you can certainly get beautiful colors, surfaces, etc. from an
electric kiln, if you try to exactly match what happens in a reduction
firing you are going to be disappointed. I have seen people do things with
spraying and overlaying different glazes that can give you the variance you
get with reduction but to me it misses the point. If you instead appreciate
the consistency you get with an electric kiln and develop your own palate
you should be delighted with what you get. I can give you cone 6 glazes
that you might like and there are some excellent sources out there for
oxidation glazes at cone 6. If you are going to cone 10 however I don't
really have much I can offer. Post in clayart - there is a larger audience
there and certainly should be some who fire that high in oxidation (or
close - maybe cone 9). Donna

http://www.alisapots.dk/glaze.htm
http://www.frogpondpottery.com/glaze...bleglazes.html
http://home.earthlink.net/~jessieadair/id11.html
http://www.redhillpottery.com/cone6tests.html

Old April 25th 08, 12:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Dana

Thank you for your input. Yes, the kiln i get my work fired in is reduction.
I am really spoiled by the intense glaze colors. Lol, will i be able to
adjust to electric kiln colors?

Dana

"agrunspan" wrote in message
Dana wrote:
Hi donna. Thanks for the reply. This is what is going on with my firing
situation. My pieces are currently fired in a commercial gas kiln at the
studio i work out of.

Hmm -- if you're currently firing out of a gas kiln, it's entirely
possible they're firing to reduction. This means the gas, combined with a
"sealed off" kiln, fires in an atmosphere with no oxygen. The results are
incredible glazes with a great deal of depth.

You generally can't get reduction firings in an electric kiln and, as a
result, will get much different results, even using the same glaze
formulas!

About 4 years ago I moved from a ^10 reduction (gas) kiln studio to one
firing to ^6 in oxidation (electric). I've since learned a whole new group
of glazes and, though I miss my reduction environment, am still enjoying
my work.

--
April
http://agru.etsy.com/ (shop)