Diy Kiln

Old February 26th 09, 05:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Scott Peterson

Default Diy Kiln

Hi,

Does anyone know where I can get the parts to build a custom kiln. I'm
looking for fire bricks, heating elements, and the holders for the elements
so that they can be hung from the lid. also any free instructions or
suggestions. I'm looking to build a 3' x 4' x 10" kiln.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Scott

Old February 26th 09, 03:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Ron Parker[_2_]

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 22:10:20 -0600, Scott Peterson wrote:
Does anyone know where I can get the parts to build a custom kiln. I'm
looking for fire bricks, heating elements, and the holders for the elements
so that they can be hung from the lid. also any free instructions or
suggestions. I'm looking to build a 3' x 4' x 10" kiln.

Your best bet for firebrick is a local refractory supplier. I'd go to
http://www.empirerefractory.com/ but that's because they're about a mile
away from where I'm sitting right now. Just about anywhere you'll find
firebrick online you'll find it at a huge markup. Empire sells it for
half the before-shipping price McMaster-Carr does, for example.

If you want prewound elements and other bits, you could check out Joppa
Glassworks at http://www.joppaglass.com/ . If you would prefer to wind your
own, you want to find someone who sells resistance wire; one source might
be http://www.resistancewire.com/ (another company that's local to me, but
seems to be set up to do non-local business. Also a good source of useful
information like resistance per foot of various alloys and gauges.)

Old February 26th 09, 05:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
nJb[_3_]

wrote:

Hi,

Does anyone know where I can get the parts to build a custom kiln. I'm
looking for fire bricks, heating elements, and the holders for the elements
so that they can be hung from the lid. also any free instructions or
suggestions. I'm looking to build a 3' x 4' x 10" kiln.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Scott

When I built I got parts from Joppaglass. Bricks and blanket at a
local refractory supply.

Jack
Old March 2nd 09, 04:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Scott Peterson

Thanks for the help...

Scott

"Scott Peterson" wrote in message
Hi,

Does anyone know where I can get the parts to build a custom kiln. I'm
looking for fire bricks, heating elements, and the holders for the
elements so that they can be hung from the lid. also any free instructions
or suggestions. I'm looking to build a 3' x 4' x 10" kiln.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Scott

Kiln cement and kiln repair Daniel Pottery 2 October 22nd 06 06:29 PM
kiln [email protected] Pottery 0 April 19th 06 12:29 PM
kiln [email protected] Pottery 0 April 19th 06 12:05 PM
looking for kiln Sonya Ledet Pottery 25 May 26th 05 12:00 AM
Used Kiln parts and gas kiln build instructions Bri Pottery 4 August 10th 03 12:27 AM