Brother 950i Help

Old December 19th 06, 10:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.machine-knit
Douglas Kell

Default Brother 950i Help

Hi
as a newcomer to this group I am desperate for a little advice please. I
have just purchased a Brother 950i and garter carriage and am having great
problems as when the garter carriage is operating it knits fine sometimes
and then drops stitches.
The tension appears to be ok - could it be the yarn or any other problems I
may be missing?

Many thanks in anticipation

Douglas Kell

Old December 20th 06, 12:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.machine-knit
[email protected]

Hello Douglas,

If I were you, I would go to the Yahoo knitting machine groups, as they
are very active, and the folks on there are so knowledgeable and
friendly.

Two good ones are

I'm sure you will find good help there for your garter carriage woes.

Peggy

Old December 21st 06, 03:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.machine-knit
steelbreeze

Douglas Kell wrote:

Hi
as a newcomer to this group I am desperate for a little advice please. I
have just purchased a Brother 950i and garter carriage and am having great
problems as when the garter carriage is operating it knits fine sometimes
and then drops stitches.
The tension appears to be ok - could it be the yarn or any other problems I
may be missing?

Hi Douglas,

Psuh some of the needles all the way forward, and use your hand to
check their up-and-down movement. If it's more than a few mm, the
machine may well need a new spongebar. This lives under the front of
the metal bed - have a look for a white plastic tab at either end -
push it at one end with something small like a pencil and it should
slide out. The sponge bar (or retainer bar) gives tension to the
needles, but being sponge flattens and perishes with age.

New ones can be bought for about £7 ($15).

If the dropped stitches are always on the same needle, swap that needle
with a new one. G carriages are fussy about such things!

Also, check the underside of your g carriage for dust bunnies - use a
spare needle to hook out any gunk. I had intermittent problems with
mine for ages until I gave it a clean.

HTH

Jane

Old December 22nd 06, 01:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.machine-knit
Douglas Kell

"steelbreeze" wrote in message
ps.com...

Douglas Kell wrote:

[...]