looking for bottles and jars made of lead free glass

Old October 18th 05, 12:44 AM
lian

Default looking for bottles and jars made of lead free glass

really want your help (it is for autistic child, sensitive to lead)
Would like to hear names of high quality name-brand that qualify to
this principle.
(I live in Israel)

Old October 18th 05, 02:34 AM
Javahut

"lian" wrote in message
oups.com...
really want your help (it is for autistic child, sensitive to lead)
Would like to hear names of high quality name-brand that qualify to
this principle.
(I live in Israel)

Try "Mason" and "Ball"... used for home canning

Old October 18th 05, 03:01 AM
Moonraker

I believe that any commercial product you buy that is made in USA will
qualify. I think the FDA outlawed lead in glass containers about 1980.
Ceramic glazes on dinnerware made in third-world countries may not be as
lead-free.

oups.com...

Old October 18th 05, 02:51 PM
lian

thanks for the reply. also I would like to ask in what king of glass I
can freeze food (milk, soups, cooked food) so it won't explode
in the freeze ?

Old October 18th 05, 04:00 PM
Javahut

"lian" wrote in message
oups.com...
thanks for the reply. also I would like to ask in what king of glass I
can freeze food (milk, soups, cooked food) so it won't explode
in the freeze ?

Any of it, just don't put much in the jar, allow for expansion. But there
are better containers than glass for the freezer, that's called progress.

Old October 18th 05, 07:53 PM

Why use glass? Try Tupperware.

Andy

Old October 18th 05, 09:12 PM
lian

I don't wnat to freeze in plastic cause I want to avoid plastic and
replace all the containers that come in contact with food
and water, to glass/stainless steel containers.

because Bisphenol A
leach from plastic.

Old October 18th 05, 10:56 PM
Moonraker

Being a bit paranoid, aren't we?

A consumer would have to ingest more than 1,300 pounds of food and beverages
in contact with polycarbonate every day for an entire lifetime to exceed the
safe level of BPA set by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
Consequently, human exposure to BPA from polycarbonate plastics is minimal
and poses no known health risk.

oups.com...

Old October 18th 05, 11:00 PM

Are you sure Tupperware contains bisphenol A? what about Ziplock
freezer bags? any plastic storage manufacture will tell you what
chemicals are in the product once you let them know about your concern.
I've never heard of anyone using Tupperware and having any ill effects.
Believe me, millions of folks all over the world use it.

Andy

Old October 19th 05, 12:12 AM
C Ryman

I did read somewhere that scientists doing research tests with mice/rats
found that the water (bottled in plastic) had some estrogen-like compound
from the plastic. They were doing tests on hormones so it threw their test
results off. Personally, I could use some more estrogen :-)
--
Connie Ryman
Cryman Studio

ups.com...