OT perhaps.. Can you Imagine

Old November 8th 04, 05:02 PM
Diana Curtis

Default OT perhaps.. Can you Imagine

Can you imagine what this group might be like if there were no OT posts?
What do *you* think it would be like?
Diana, lover of the OT posts...

--
Weird people need beads, too

Old November 8th 04, 05:17 PM
Jalynne

I, for one, would hate it. I consider a newsgroup more than just a place to "get the
facts". It's made up of people from all walks of life, and I just LOVE learning
about other cultures, beliefs, viewpoints. Especially in the art/craft world, what
we do is completely driven (or should be, at least) by who we are, what we've
experienced in our lives, and what we feel at any given moment. To share the product
without sharing the process....well, that would be absolutely horrid, and I wouldn't
be able to stay. Thanks to all of you for sharing part of your lives!
--
Jalynne - Keeper of the Quilt for ME club list

Old November 8th 04, 05:19 PM
Charlie

I dunno, I'm thinking about trying it. Posts marked OT get marked as read
in the quilt group, and it saves much of my time! I'm not so tempted to sit
for hours and read! I go do work instead!

Charlie.

Old November 8th 04, 05:22 PM
Diana Curtis

LOL
Ok.. thats a valid reason for skipping the OT. But then you would have
missed this stimulating question!
Diana

--
Weird people need beads, too

Old November 8th 04, 05:44 PM
Karen_AZ

I'm on a different-topic, VERY moderated list. The people are interesting,
but I've never felt that I 'know' them the way I feel I 'know' many people
here. It's kinda sterile.

KarenK

Old November 8th 04, 06:31 PM
Dr. Sooz

Can you imagine what this group might be like if there were no OT posts?
What do *you* think it would be like?
Diana, lover of the OT posts...

I see this NG as a quilting bee. We work on our stuff and share it, and we
share other stuff too. We don't berate each other for being human, and we
don't eject anyone for that either.

Without OT posts? It would be like it was before -- the only non-bead
discourse was bickering. Did you know it was 9/11 that turned this place into
a quilting bee? And a spoken [posted, I mean] belief in love.
~~
Sooz
The things that will destroy us a politics without principle; pleasure
without conscience; wealth without work; knowledge without character; business
without morality; science without humanity, and worship without sacrifice. - M.
Ghandi

Old November 8th 04, 10:13 PM
Christina Peterson

I came here right after 9/11. That event was what propelled me to look at
newsgroups. Well, that and a new computer (plus a 3 month learning gap).
And you're right. Most OT posts were peoples' unrestrainable sorrow.

Tina

Old November 8th 04, 10:51 PM
Christina Peterson

I wouldn't like to have no OT posts, but I wouldn't mind a higher proportion
of on topic posts. Including art theory -- talk about color, what makes art
"art". On the other hand, I often contribute to the OTs.

As long as things are labeled though, it's OK. New subject lines would be
very helpful when topics change too.

As Charlie mentioned, I can skip the OT I want to skip. I never read about
birds, I only glance at most posts about pets. I seldom add to the
overburden of congrats, even when it's bead related, or when I'm happy for
the person, but I try to comment if I feel there is too little feed back.

I do have some hot button issues like everyone else.

I'm rather slow with computers, being both very non-linear, and having very
poor dexterity. I probably type about 10 words a minute, and have trouble
posting pictures. An important (to me) post might take me half an hour, and
I'm only marginally capable of "instant" messaging. My manual dexterity
interferes with photography too.

I do miss the times when we had 100 messages on a very busy day, and I
especially miss seeing beadwork. Now almost all our visuals here are
lampwork on eBay. And I don't want to add another group to keep up to.

I especially appreciate information we share here on wellness -- physical,
mental, societal. Information on non-medical solutions (flax seed oil, etc)
are very much. Advise on getting the system to work. Commiseration, even.

People here are like family, with all the varying responses we feel toward
family. I wouldn't be here without the beads, but I wouldn't enjoy it as
much without this "family".

Tina
(did I ever tell you about my sister Kani?)

Old November 8th 04, 11:38 PM
Beadbimbo

I would miss the OT posts! I'm glad that I can share in things like Cheryl
becoming a lawyer, as well as the pain or sorrow of others. I think there's
a lot of support here. Sometimes a few words are just enough to lift
somebody up from a difficult time.

I love what Sooz said about this being a quilting bee!

--
Jerri
www.beadbimbo.com