Slightly scratchy wool: Softeners?

Old August 24th 06, 03:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Threnody

Default Slightly scratchy wool: Softeners?

Here comes another dingbat question from a relative newbie to pure wool...

I have a pair of woolen socks that I'm about to finish and give as a
gift to someone. The wool is just a little bit scratchier than I'd
like. If I hand wash the socks, can/should I put a small amount (1
teaspoon) of dye- and fragrance-free fabric softener in with the water?
Do softeners have any adverse effects on pure wool? I've used this
yarn before and tried using the gentle shampoo and conditioner route,
but that still didn't give me the result I wanted. Does anyone have
other suggestions? I don't want the wool to feel greasy, just slightly
smoother and a bit softer.

--
Threnody

http://aff-the-fang.blogspot.com
http://totallyhooked.blogspot.com
Old August 24th 06, 06:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
YarnWright

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 14:39:38 GMT, Threnody spun a fine yarn

Here comes another dingbat question from a relative newbie to pure wool...

I have a pair of woolen socks that I'm about to finish and give as a
gift to someone. The wool is just a little bit scratchier than I'd
like. If I hand wash the socks, can/should I put a small amount (1
teaspoon) of dye- and fragrance-free fabric softener in with the water?
Do softeners have any adverse effects on pure wool? I've used this
yarn before and tried using the gentle shampoo and conditioner route,
but that still didn't give me the result I wanted. Does anyone have
other suggestions? I don't want the wool to feel greasy, just slightly
smoother and a bit softer.

Vinegar!
It's always been a natural fabric softener, my MIL and fave aunt both
NEVER used commercial fabric softeners, JUST vinegar.
JM2C,
Noreen
PS, it also 'sets' colour!!
(I have a pair of jeans that I 'set' that are STILL dark navy blue and
they are 10 years old.)
http://www.lulu.com/content/292418
- - - - -
---
avast! AV: Outbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 0634-2, 08/24/2006
Tested: 8/24/2006 12:32:59 PM
avast! - (c) 1988-2006

Old August 24th 06, 07:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Sofia i would have never thought about that ???
And i have a tree , a lemon tree ,,,,
mirjam

Have you tried lemon juice? It's good for human and animal hair as a natural
softener. Rinse it after in demineralised water.
SD

"Mirjam Bruck-Cohen" a écrit dans le message de news:
BABY SHAMPOO

mirjam

Old August 24th 06, 08:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Magie Noire

Where I come from there are certain places where the water is very hard. So
people compensate by rinsing every natural fibber with lemon juice
(filtered, of course) added to the last water! Fibbers (or hair) become
shiny and so soft! And it smells good!

Old August 24th 06, 11:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Wooly

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 14:39:38 GMT, Threnody
spewed forth :

Here comes another dingbat question from a relative newbie to pure wool...

I have a pair of woolen socks that I'm about to finish and give as a
gift to someone. The wool is just a little bit scratchier than I'd
like. If I hand wash the socks, can/should I put a small amount (1
teaspoon) of dye- and fragrance-free fabric softener in with the water?

Sure. Rinse it out - as you would when creme rinsing your own hair -
or the stuff will be a dirt magnet. You can also try adding some
baking soda to the final rinse..

Do softeners have any adverse effects on pure wool?

Nope. It's hair. I use shampoo and conditioner on my hair, and on my
wool sweaters too.

A spoonful of lanolin in a washer-full of sweaters isn't out of line
because really, who likes a dry crunchy sweater...

+++++++++++++

Reply to the list as I do not publish an email address to USENET.
This practice has cut my spam by more than 95%.
Of course, I did have to abandon a perfectly good email account...
Old August 25th 06, 03:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
coggietm

I use Eucalan wool wash , but her is a write up on two different kinds.

http://www.yarn-store.com/knitters-wool-wash.html

Old September 2nd 06, 02:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
spampot

Threnody wrote:

Here comes another dingbat question from a relative newbie to pure wool...

I have a pair of woolen socks that I'm about to finish and give as a
gift to someone. The wool is just a little bit scratchier than I'd
like. If I hand wash the socks, can/should I put a small amount (1
teaspoon) of dye- and fragrance-free fabric softener in with the water?
Do softeners have any adverse effects on pure wool? I've used this
yarn before and tried using the gentle shampoo and conditioner route,
but that still didn't give me the result I wanted. Does anyone have
other suggestions? I don't want the wool to feel greasy, just slightly
smoother and a bit softer.

Mom grew up in a VERY hard-water area washing her hair in pine-tar soap
and rinsing it with vinegar.

acrlic yarn Dixie Sugar Yarn 10 August 15th 06 12:20 PM
Wool applique Susan Laity Price Quilting 23 November 13th 05 05:53 PM
The ultimate yarn snob compairs the performance of wool and synthetics for downhill skiing (long) Yarn 18 January 19th 05 05:53 PM
A question about using wool? bit OT Sarah Grace Yarn 13 September 29th 03 10:00 AM
Felting Wool Lynne in Toronto Quilting 4 July 11th 03 11:57 PM