Query for those who Knit AND Crochet

Old December 23rd 03, 05:08 AM
Noreen's Knit*che

Default Query for those who Knit AND Crochet

Which did you learn to do first?

Do you have a preference?

Hugs,
Noreen

A: I learned to knit first. Crochet came right after. I was six.
A. Depends on the project.

--
STRIP * tease * to email me.
Old December 23rd 03, 05:51 AM
The Other Kim

Noreen wrote:

Which did you learn to do first?

Do you have a preference?

Hugs,
Noreen

A: I learned to knit first. Crochet came right after. I was six.
A. Depends on the project.

Learned to knit when I was 8. The boys in my class at school were off
doing some woodworking project, so rather than continue with the regular
social studies lessons my teacher taught us girls how to knit. I
learned to crochet 2 years later, when my aunt was making a granny
square poncho for my little sister. She showed me how to make a granny
square, and the rest is history.

And, like you, which one I prefer depends on what I'm making. I think
I'm better at knitting than crocheting, so I tend to knit things that
others will see, like sweaters that I wear; I get maximum "ooh ah" value
from those. I prefer to crochet afghans and doilies.

The Other Kim
kimagreenfieldatyahoodotcom

Old December 23rd 03, 06:59 AM
Careydwyn

I know I don't post often, but I had to answer this question.

I learned to crochet first. Probably why when I first learned to knit it was a
major disaster, until years later when I met someone and learned to knit
continental fashion.

I prefer the clean look of knitting especially for sweaters, but I am more
creative when it comes to crochet. I have made halloween costumes through
crochet.... pieces actually - one year I went as a cat -- I crocheted cat ears
onto a headband, crocethed a tail and to match a sweatsuit and painted my face.
The following year I did the same thing and went as a dog. Inserting fishing
line through the tail and attaching it inside my pants so I would "wag" when I
walked. LOL

Old December 23rd 03, 07:38 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Good Morning Noren , we overslept today , it was COLD and cat didn`t
wake me , not great but ok. I have snails to finnish and send , this
is my last day `alone` during day time !!!!
So now i start with coffee and this interesting qyestions ,,, i knoow
for sure that i knitted or rather was put to knit , panendoeskjes [
pan cloth [?] , as early as 5 by a woman at whose house i lived at the
time , it was full of holes and mistakes , of course , i leraned
crochet at 11 , on my first visit back to Holland after mooving to
Israel, this crochet i leraned from my Praternal GM, but my mother
told me her mother would not knit at all only Crochet , and i found a
picture where she wears this wonderful crochet shirt .
Can`t say i have a prefference , each serve another need and they can
be combined .
mirjam

Old December 23rd 03, 08:43 AM
Christine in Kent, Garden of England

I learnt to knit when I was 7, taught by my Mum, who at nearly 82 still
knits constantly having only "gone off" it following various operations and
been extremely disgruntled during those times. I was 13 when I taught
myself to crochet from a children's encyclopaedia while I was off school
with chicken pox. Most useful illness I ever had!!!
As to which I prefer, I suppose knitting for clothes, socks etc. (although I
do have the new "Crochet Socks" book on order) Crochet I prefer for
decorative items and often blankets, although since discovering Domino
Knitting that's changed a bit! I think crochet has led me into exploring
more alternative techniques, such as Tunisian crochet, tatting, cro-tatting
and Cro-Knit.
So really it's horses for courses I suppose
--
Love
Christine with a runny nose and a cough in grey, damp Kent, Garden of

"Noreen's Knit*che" wrote in message
Which did you learn to do first?

Do you have a preference?

Hugs,
Noreen

A: I learned to knit first. Crochet came right after. I was six.
A. Depends on the project.

--
STRIP * tease * to email me.

Old December 23rd 03, 12:15 PM
LLWeisse

I learned to knit first, through ther 4-H program. The next year, through
the same program, I learned how to crochet. Since I can knit better than I
crochet, I choose to knit if a project is at all challenging. At this
point, I crochet mostly dishcloths and other smaller items just because of
the time factor.
wrote in message
[...]

A: I learned to knit first. Crochet came right after. I was six.
A. Depends on the project.

--
STRIP * tease * to email me.

Old December 23rd 03, 12:50 PM
Sonya Cirillo

I learned to crochet at 8-9 - I stayed with my Grandmother for
a week and she taught me (she taught my Mom too - who is left
handed and wouldn't teach me - didn't want to mess me up)

I taught myself knitting, from a book when I was 20 and pregnant - had
to make booties don't you know and for whatever hormonal reason, they
*had* to be knitted.

Me too, I am a snob in that regard - socks are to be knit, afghans I
prefer to crochet - no reason, it just seem to happen that way. . .

Sonya

Noreen's Knit*che wrote:
Which did you learn to do first?

Do you have a preference?

Hugs,
Noreen

A: I learned to knit first. Crochet came right after. I was six.
A. Depends on the project.

Old December 23rd 03, 01:15 PM
Sew-Sew Lady

I learned to crochet first, around the age of 8 or so. I learned to knit
about 20 years later. Now, I mostly knit, but do a few crochet projects.

"Noreen's Knit*che" wrote in message
Which did you learn to do first?

Do you have a preference?

Hugs,
Noreen

A: I learned to knit first. Crochet came right after. I was six.
A. Depends on the project.

--
STRIP * tease * to email me.

Old December 23rd 03, 01:53 PM
Mary

I learned to knit first, at about age 8. However, I didn't continue
until I was in college dating the son of a multi-millionaire and
hadn't a clue as to what to do about Christmas. My roommate suggested
I knit him a sweater, went to a fine knit shop with me to make the
purchases, and walked me through that first sweater. I am pleased to
state that he was delighted and literally wore it out! I've been
knitting ever since.

Crochet I learned only when I needed to use it to edge long strips of
knitting to be joined as an afghan. I crochet only for afghans and
potholders, vastly prefering to knit.

Noreen's Knit*che wrote in message . ..
Which did you learn to do first?

Do you have a preference?

Hugs,
Noreen

A: I learned to knit first. Crochet came right after. I was six.
A. Depends on the project.

Old December 23rd 03, 03:13 PM
Coggie

I learned to knit before I learned to crochet . I was about 7 or 8 ,
then switched to crochet about a year later , didn't pick back up
knitting until about 5 years ago.
Coggie

" Christine in Kent, Garden of England" wrote in message ...
[...]

A: I learned to knit first. Crochet came right after. I was six.
A. Depends on the project.

--
STRIP * tease * to email me.