Bobbles (popcorn stitch)

Old August 5th 03, 05:51 PM
AGRES

Default Bobbles (popcorn stitch)

This is a good group. In most internet groups, if I posted that, "I made a
big bobble this morning!", the group would treat me like a loser. However,
here in RCTY, I know that making the occasional perfect bobble will only
add to my acceptance. g

These are big bobbles, made by knitting through the next stitch 5 times.
When I follow the pattern exactly there is hole in the side of the bobble,
and a loose loop of yarn. This is what I call bobbling my bobbles!

However, on one bobble, the tea kettle called, I got distracted, lost count
and that bobble is perfect. No hole, no loose loop - Perfect.

The moral is: A cuppa tea fixes a bobble.

Aaron

Old August 5th 03, 06:04 PM
Noreen's Knit*che

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 11:51:28 -0500, AGRES wrote:
This is a good group. In most internet groups, if I posted that,
"I made a
big bobble this morning!", the group would treat me like a loser.
However,
here in RCTY, I know that making the occasional perfect bobble
will only
add to my acceptance. g

These are big bobbles, made by knitting through the next stitch 5
times.
When I follow the pattern exactly there is hole in the side of the
bobble,
and a loose loop of yarn. This is what I call bobbling my bobbles!

However, on one bobble, the tea kettle called, I got distracted,
lost count
and that bobble is perfect. No hole, no loose loop - Perfect.

The moral is: A cuppa tea fixes a bobble.

Aaron

Aaron, a cuppa tea or cofee fixes just about anything!
Thanks for sharing, am making a spot of tea myself right now.
(Earl Grey, if anyone wanted to know)
Noreen

Old August 5th 03, 06:10 PM
MouseCLP

This is a good group. In most internet groups, if I posted that, "I made a
big bobble this morning!", the group would treat me like a loser. However,
here in RCTY, I know that making the occasional perfect bobble will only
add to my acceptance. g

snipped

The moral is: A cuppa tea fixes a bobble.

Aaron

Fortunately there are no "losers" on RCTY. Not only does a perfect bobble add
to your acceptance here, but a bobbled bobble will create an outpouring of
sympathy and quite likely the suggestion to have a cuppa... which in the end
was the solution. Did you take a pic of the perfect bobble? We wanna share
the glory!

Still stitchin' and smilin'
Carol in SC
Old August 5th 03, 06:31 PM
Ophelia

"AGRES" wrote in message
This is a good group. In most internet groups, if I posted that, "I made

big bobble this morning!", the group would treat me like a loser.

However,
here in RCTY, I know that making the occasional perfect bobble will only
add to my acceptance. g

These are big bobbles, made by knitting through the next stitch 5 times.
When I follow the pattern exactly there is hole in the side of the bobble,
and a loose loop of yarn. This is what I call bobbling my bobbles!

However, on one bobble, the tea kettle called, I got distracted, lost

count
and that bobble is perfect. No hole, no loose loop - Perfect.

The moral is: A cuppa tea fixes a bobble.

LOL

Ophelia
Bobbleless in Scotland

Old August 5th 03, 06:57 PM
Karen

"AGRES" wrote in message
This is a good group. In most internet groups, if I posted that, "I made

big bobble this morning!", the group would treat me like a loser.

However,
here in RCTY, I know that making the occasional perfect bobble will only
add to my acceptance. g

These are big bobbles, made by knitting through the next stitch 5 times.
When I follow the pattern exactly there is hole in the side of the bobble,
and a loose loop of yarn. This is what I call bobbling my bobbles!

However, on one bobble, the tea kettle called, I got distracted, lost

count
and that bobble is perfect. No hole, no loose loop - Perfect.

The moral is: A cuppa tea fixes a bobble.

Aaron

It IS a great group -- when I told some of my non-knitting friends with grat
pride that I finished my first pair of socks, they couldn't really relate to
it -- people here could, they understood the sense of accomplishment that
you get. When I told my non-knitting friends that I got my sweater stuck
on my face because I bound off the turtleneck too tightly, they thought I
was a dork. People here told me how to fix it.

I myself have not attempted a bobble yet -- but I will make sure I have a
cuppa tea there when I do.

Karen in MN

Old August 6th 03, 01:49 PM
Katherine Burgess

"AGRES" wrote ...
This is a good group. In most internet groups, if I posted that, "I made

big bobble this morning!", the group would treat me like a loser.

However,
here in RCTY, I know that making the occasional perfect bobble will only
add to my acceptance. g

These are big bobbles, made by knitting through the next stitch 5 times.
When I follow the pattern exactly there is hole in the side of the bobble,
and a loose loop of yarn. This is what I call bobbling my bobbles!

However, on one bobble, the tea kettle called, I got distracted, lost

count
and that bobble is perfect. No hole, no loose loop - Perfect.

The moral is: A cuppa tea fixes a bobble.

You could end up drinking an awful lot of tea! g
Katherine

Old August 6th 03, 08:10 PM
AGRES

Els,
Maybe she is just growing faster than you can knit!g

My wife's mother (Mrs. Fong) never went to school, but was a wonderful
knitter. She would go into a shop and see a knit garment, look at it very
carefully, then go home and knit one for her kids. (Always red, and as the
smallest child outgrew the garment, it was unraveled and the yarn reused.)
She never wrote anything down. How did she work out the sizing? My wife
tells me that there were rarely trial fittings and that her mother did not
even own a measuring tape! ( My guess is that Mrs. Fong measured everything
in terms of her own hand & finger width.) I read about the fishermen's
girlfriend/wife knitting elaborate sweaters with minimal education. I'm sure
that they had "minimum math" ways of knitting to fit. Think of a Irish lass
getting the measurements to make an "engagement" sweater for her future
husband by playfully running her hands across his chest. Then, she can have
the sweater knitted with "a heart on his sleeve" to take him off the
marriage market almost before he even knows he is engaged to be married.
Everyone wants a wife that can knit that fast!g There had to be secrets of
knitting to fit without math passed down from generation to generation.

One of our master knitters should pull together a bunch of techniques on how
to knit to size without math. Two examples would be "knit to fit" raglan
sweaters, and the hat that I am making for my wife which where the main
stitch pattern is simply knit until it is long enough to go around the head
and seamed up the back. Then, stitches are picked up along each side of the
fancy stitch panel to make the "brim" and top of the hat. Very attractive
and no math, but that is not an approach that I see in modern books on
knitting.

Aaron

"Els van Dam" wrote in message
In article kgRXa.49154$cF.18401@rwcrnsc53, "AGRES"

wrote:

This is a good group. In most internet groups, if I posted that, "I

made a
big bobble this morning!", the group would treat me like a loser.

However,
here in RCTY, I know that making the occasional perfect bobble will

only
add to my acceptance. g

These are big bobbles, made by knitting through the next stitch 5 times.
When I follow the pattern exactly there is hole in the side of the

bobble,
and a loose loop of yarn. This is what I call bobbling my bobbles!

However, on one bobble, the tea kettle called, I got distracted, lost

count
and that bobble is perfect. No hole, no loose loop - Perfect.

The moral is: A cuppa tea fixes a bobble.

Aaron

Aaron, Good for you.....if a cup of tea could solve all problems like
that, boy we would be away to the races.....

I have been knitting a sweater for my three year old Grand daughter on the
knitting machine and so far I have pulled it out three times.....I have a
hard time doing the calculations. Yes yes I do make a swatch and count
rows and st. That is not the problem....doing the math is the problem. I
think I finally got it right.....maybe I should have stopped for a cup of
tea as well, I will remember for the next time. LOL

Els

--
delete doba to email me.....:=))