Shawl update

Old August 7th 03, 10:52 PM
Katherine Burgess

"Helen "Halla" Fleischer" wrote ...
| On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 12:16:55 -0300, "Katherine Burgess" wrote:

Which in turn leads to "teaching to the test" and a more restricted
education. Sigh.

And with standardised tests - well, you can imagine what happens to
creativity.

Been there, done that, got a steadier job in the city with less stress,
working for the IRS. I didn't say no stress! Ended up retiring from

that
when I was spending more days with migraines than without.

Oh, yes, I hear you, Helen! Thank goodness I have my summers to recuperate!
Katherine

Old August 7th 03, 11:59 PM
AGRES

I was a very smart kid, but as I read about Thomas, all I can think about is
that chemistry professor that I had at the university that terrorized all
her students with her ability to visualize symmetries. She also had that
"thing" about being able to write forwards and backwards. She was "Gifted!"

Thomas maybe gifted. There are not very many people around that are smart
enough to really evaluate how gifted Thomas may be. (Who has both the
knowledge of child development and the musical ability to evaluate a young
Mozart?) Some of his talents are not likely to show up on the standard
tests, and his ADD is going to lower his score on several of the standard
tests. Go to the very best if you want an evaluation that has any validity.
It will end up being a team effort.

Just knowing he is gifted may not change anything. It sounds like you are
doing the right things for a gifted kid at home. Does AISD have classes for
the gifted? Otherwise, school is not really going to change. (Private
schools are mostly just more ordinary kids!)

Aaron

PS Thomas' native abilities in spatial relationships and symmetries will
likely result in his being closely involved with spatial information systems
(SIP). SIP are an esoteric branch of databases. SIP will likely be a tool
of Thomas's trade, whatever trade** he chooses. Soon, MSSQL, mSQL, Oracle,
and other DB languages will be Thomas' friends. These friends will whisper
truths in his ear that ordinary people can not hear. Be kind to Thomas's
future friends.

**Except maybe fine art.

arol in TN" wrote in message

"SlinkyToy" wrote in

Or maybe you'd like to hear about the death fears (his fear that I will

die)
or the death wishes (his wish for his own death)?

Or we can discuss the fact that he has in fact learned his alphabet and

can
now write his name - backwards with one hand and frontwards but nearly
illegibly with the other - at the same time. Or the fact that he can

draw
two absolutely different scenes - simultaneously; one scene with his

right
hand, one with his left. Or the fact that he remembers the words to any
song he's ever heard on the radio (which would be absolutely maddening

me!) and won't allow me to read the same book to him twice because he
"remembers it exactly"?

Possibly you'd like to tell me what, aside from therapy that isn't

working
and patience of which I am in short supply, you might do? Perhaps you

can
refer me to a therapist who will wave a magic wand and make it all

better?

Apparently your son's ADD (and your own) are mild. My son's is not.

I've
known since he was about 18 months old that at some point he would need
medication. At this point putting him on meds and sending him to school

is
the best choice for him, despite your belief otherwise -- a belief based

on
a few USENET posts, I might add, and not a believe based on over 5 years
with the child watching every non-medical intervention fail.

Slinky,
I have no experience with ADD children but would like to ask if you have
spoken with your pediatrician about the possibility that your son is also
gifted. Occasionally that shows itself in unusual perfectionist ways. He
is not too young to be tested - maybe they do it at one of the teaching
hospitals in your area. Here they do the testing at Vanderbilt.
Just a suggestion. May give you new insight to helping him cope with
boredom.
Carol in TN

Old August 8th 03, 01:19 PM
Jane

"MouseCLP" wrote in message
Here's what she (Jane) used for an address:

("Jane" )

[[[SARCASM WARNING]]]
Ahh yes, dear "Jane"(BTW are the quote marks part of your name on your

birth
certificate? Come to think of it, is JANE on your birth certificate?
anywhere???) please DO tell us what yarn-related projects you've been

working
on?

And does WEBS, the owner of the 'yarn.com' domain know you're using it as

part
of your *ahem* email address? I hope your personal vendetta doesn't harm

their
business, especially since you're more than likely NOT affiliated with

them.
And if you ARE affiliated with them, I hope they fire your @$$.

Still stitchin' and smilin'
Carol in SC

The quote marks aren't put there by me. Possibly my e-mail client does
that.

Thanks for pointing out that yarn.com is an owned domain. I didn't realize
that and will correct for it. The manner in which you pointed it out,
however, is gratuitously nasty. I'm sorry if you are having a bad day (or
bad life) that makes you want to lash out at people, even people you don't
know. I hope things get better for you soon.

I tend to try to work on only one or two projects at a time (an ADD coping
measure.) Right now I'm making some tweedy wooly boots for myself ,
crocheted, and a second Harry Potter knitted scarf for a second grandson who
admires his older brother's scarf. Thank you for asking.

I don't think you care about my name, Carol.

Old August 8th 03, 02:36 PM
MouseCLP

The quote marks aren't put there by me. Possibly my e-mail client does
that.

That is quite possible.

Thanks for pointing out that yarn.com is an owned domain. I didn't realize
that and will correct for it. The manner in which you pointed it out,
however, is gratuitously nasty. I'm sorry if you are having a bad day (or
bad life) that makes you want to lash out at people, even people you don't
know. I hope things get better for you soon.

Thank you for offering to remove the yarn.com domain from your posting address.
Certainly it is annoying when some unknown person lashes out at you -- whether
they are having a bad day or a bad life, or just telling you how to raise your
child. And the only reason I don't know you is because you decided to make
yourself impossible to know.

I'll assume your "I hope things get better for you soon" is sincere; otherwise
you'd have stooped to my level of sarcasm.

I tend to try to work on only one or two projects at a time (an ADD coping
measure.) Right now I'm making some tweedy wooly boots for myself ,
crocheted, and a second Harry Potter knitted scarf for a second grandson who
admires his older brother's scarf. Thank you for asking.

You're welcome. I'd like to see a pic of the "wooly boots." Is the pattern
online, or from a printed source? Or are you one of the adventurous type,
making your own patterns as you go?

I'm glad to know you knit and crochet, and that it helps you cope with a
problem that most of us don't live with. Since I don't remember seeing your
name, your email address or anything else that would identify you in this
newsgroup before, I wasn't sure if you worked with yarn or not.

For all I knew, you might just search various newsgroups for names of ADD/ADHD
medications with the sole purpose of blasting parents who are coping with their
own (and their chilren's) situations to the best of their ability. There are
people who do that.

I don't think you care about my name, Carol.

Actually I do. So now we've both made false assumptions about each other, and
I apologize for my part of that.

Most of the regulars on this ng feel as if we're friends in a big room, working
on our projects (or not, if health or life in general prevents it), chatting
about yarn related stuff AND whatever else comes to mind. When someone comes
in cloaked in secrecy and attacking, we tend to "circle the wagons" and defend
each other. I will not apologize for that.

I personally feel there's always room for one (or two, or three, or...) more in
this ng, because each individual brings new ideas and different experiences,
enriching ALL of us. Differing opinions are just that -- and different doesn't
necessarily mean wrong. Sometimes we have to "agree to disagree." So... care
to join us? It's up to you.

Still stitchin' and smilin'
Carol in SC
Old August 8th 03, 04:25 PM
llama mama

"SlinkyToy" wrote in
m:

You know what? You don't speak for anyone but yourself. I find it
amazing that you presume to judge me based on the few details I've
posted to a USENET list.

out of curiousity, has your son been checked for sensory integration
disorder? it sometimes accompanies ADD/ADHD & some of what you listed
sounds like stuff i'm going through with my 3 year old with SID... in
which case, medication and OT will probably help your little guy feel
better about himself. it's just sad how hard on themselves the poor kids
can be
best of luck to both of you.
lee
--
It is paradoxical that many educators and parents still differentiate
between a time for learning and a time for play without seeing the vital