Help with Crochet Trinity Stitch!

Old August 4th 03, 01:40 AM
Sandy Best

Default Help with Crochet Trinity Stitch!

I have a book called "63 Easy-To-Crochet Pattern Stitches: Combine to Make
an Heirloom Afghan." Well, I'm trying to make each of the sqaures. Unless
I'm doing something wrong, this one is NOT easy!! LOL Here's what it says:

TRINITY STITCH
(Multiple of 2 chs)

Ch 26 loosely.
Row 1 (Right side): Sc in second ch from hook, insert hook in same ch and
pull up a loop, (insert hook in next ch and pull up a loop) twice, YO and
draw through all 4 loops on hook, * ch 1, insert hook in same ch and pull up
a loop, (insert hook in next ch and pull up a loop) twice, YO and draw
through all 4 loops on hook; repeat from * across, sc in same ch as last st:
25 sts.

Well, I'm having trouble after you "(insert hook in next ch and pull up a
loop) twice, YO and draw through all 4 loops on hook." After I pull up a
loop twice and then try to draw through all 4 loops, it's kind of hard! LOL
Is there some trick to this stitch? Or am I doing something wrong?? I pull
up the loop twice in the same stitch, correct?? But with the first loop I
pull up, it's hard to pull through that loop along with the other 3! Help!!

Thanks,
Sandy

Old August 4th 03, 01:37 PM
Sonya Cirillo

Hi Sandy!

Ugh - I detest this stitch - I redesign or skip patterns with this
stitch: the only way for me to make this work is this:

once you have all 4 loops on the hook (make sure you've slid them up and
they are all loose on the shaft), YO and draw through the first loop and
then turn your hook 180 degrees (so it's 'pointing' backwards) and
continue through the other three loops. . . one comment - a lot of
people draw all the loops through in this direction - that's how they
learn - so this stitch would be a breeze for them. For those of us that
orient the hook the other way then we have make an adjustment to
survive this stitch.

Another way, without turning the hook 'backwards' is to hold the bottom
of the second from the end loop so that you can pull through 'normally'
but that's almost as much of a pain and turning the hook.

Best of luck!!!!

Sonya

Old August 4th 03, 07:52 PM
Claire

That's the afghan book I've got! The cover pictures the afghan in pink,
cream and green, yes? I've only managed to work out single crochet so far
(it took a lot of swearing) but have to do the square again as my tension is
all wrong. Also can't manage to hold the hook and wool correctly so that
it's not all awfully awkward. Well done on getting as far as trinity stitch!

Have put it aside for the moment, am drowning in 'deadline jumpers' made
worse by the growth of one nephew and the non-growth of another (I can't
donate birthday jumper of nephew number 2 to nephew number 3 as it is far
too large for him this year yet it is now too small for nephew number 2
whose mother has obviously been feeding far too much!) Will have to do new
jumpers for both. And christmas jumpers for my babies.. all three of them
(though the largest is now ten years old).

Claire
hot, huge and too cross to crochet.

Old August 6th 03, 04:45 AM
JW

Sandy, in response to:

TRINITY STITCH
I pull up the loop twice in the same stitch, correct??

No, you pull up a loop in the next ch, then pull up a loop in the *next ch*.
If you read the instructions from a "duh" perspective (been there tons
before!!! lol), it says (pull up a loop in the next ch)......then it says
to do that twice.....right? Now, think about it...pull up a loop in the
next ch....then do that *same thing* again... you don't do it in the same
ch.

I hope that's really clear. I usually just lurk here, but had to respond to
this one....because I've been confused over the same thing before and it's
confusing. lol

Good luck!
Jenn

Old August 6th 03, 02:00 PM
JW

I've done this as well on several projects. It would be interesting to see
the instructions for the second row to determine for sure the course to
take. From all of the projects that I have done using this, on the second
row, you pull up a loop in the same st, then the "triangle" (for lack of a
better word) st, then another in the ch 1 st immediately after. This way,
you aren't decreasing every row. The ch 1 keeps it consistent.

Jenn

"Sonya Cirillo" wrote in message
Jenn:

Well, uh, actually you do - this is a *really* weird stitch and a major
pain to do if you hold your hook so it is 'pointing' toward you when you
draw through (the way I was taught) whereas - others learn to draw
through with the hook 'pointing' away from them - this stitch is pretty
easy then. If you do it the way it is written - ie. the way you just
explained - you end up with a triangle instead of a square as you would
be decreasing (a lot) every row.

So weird but funky looking - it sort of twists within itself. I've run
across it a couple times now and avoid it like the plague!!!!

Sonya

JW wrote:
Sandy, in response to:

TRINITY STITCH

Old August 6th 03, 07:05 PM
Noreen's Knit*che

In article H8bYa.82050$YN5.59937@sccrnsc01, jenn wrote:
* ~ snipped ~ *

If it doesn't, I can post
the picture as an attachment, but prefer not to do that as a first option
since I'm not a regular on here and realize it wouldn't be proper newsgroup
etiquette.

Jenn, usenet will strip it anyway.

I just want to note too, that I love this newsgroup.

It IS a great group, isn't it?

I'm basically a
lurker, but everyone here is so helpful to just jump right in when someone
needs something. That's awesome! )

I know you've mentioned before that you're basically a lurker, but please
come back often!

Noreen

Old August 7th 03, 04:00 AM
JW

Sandy,

Did you get the stitch figured out? If you want more help, just let me know
and we can work on it through private email.

Good luck!
Jenn

"Sandy Best" wrote in message
Here's the full instructions:

TRINITY STITCH
(Multiple of 2 chs)

Ch 26 loosely.
Row 1 (Right side): Sc in second ch from hook, insert hook in same ch and
pull up a loop, (insert hook in next ch and pull up a loop) twice, YO and
draw through all 4 loops on hook, * ch 1, insert hook in same ch and pull

up
a loop, (insert hook in next ch and pull up a loop) twice, YO and draw
through all 4 loops on hook; repeat from * across, sc in same ch as last

st:
25 sts.
Row 2: Ch 1, turn; sc in first sc, insert hook in same st and pull up a
loop, (insert hook in next st and pull up a loop) twice, YO and draw

through
all 4 loops on hook, * ch 1, insert hook in same st and pull up a loop,
(insert hook in next st adn pull up a loop) twice, YO and draw through all

4
loops on hook; repeat from * across, sc in same sc as last st: 25 sts.
Repeat Row 2 until piece measures approximately 7".

Sandy

Old August 7th 03, 04:20 PM
Sandy Best

Yes, actually my mom and I were both working on it last night! I tried the
stitch the way that you said to do it, and it works! I remember I had tried
to do it that way a while back, but something didn't work. I don't remember
what it was.. So I assumed that that way was wrong! Thank you for your
help! And thanks to everyone else!

Sandy

Old August 7th 03, 06:13 PM
JW

WooHoo! I'm glad you figured it out. I know how good it feels when that
happens! ) Good luck on the rest of your afghan. I would love to see a
pic of it when you're completed! )

Jenn

Old August 7th 03, 08:22 PM
Sandy Best

Sure! I'll try to remember to post a pic!
I'm not sure if I can access this newsgroup from my school tho.....

Sandy