Mastering Cone Six Glazes, Our Test Results

Old January 19th 04, 10:46 AM
GaSeku

Default Mastering Cone Six Glazes, Our Test Results

I tried to change the subject title, but it reverted back to the other one.. I
would love to hear of other's test results. Here's mine for Waterfall Brown,
though not terribly accurate because it turned out to be overfired to at least
cone 7. Waterfall Brown is the only
one I have tried so far. I overfired it so I can't really say too much, except
it looks like it can be overfired and still look pretty much like the photo.
My
suggestion would be to put it ona textured surface for a better result. Mine
was on a smooth bowl. Gaye

Old January 20th 04, 01:13 AM
CNB

Hi Gaye,
I see that a couple of you are just very brave. I haven't tried mixing that
one yet. It does look beautiful in the book. I decided to take the books
suggestion and try others first. Let me know how your next firing with the
glaze goes and I may just give it a shot. As I said in my direct message to
you I've mixed in 2 1/2 gallon batches the Powder Blue, Verigated Blue,
Field Mouse Brown, Oatmeal. I've been using those on some things that I've
done and I do like all of them except the Verigated Blue. It usually comes
out green with dark brown and it seems to always have bubbles where the
others do not. I looked in the book and it seems that the color result I'm
getting is due to the application being to thin. It seems no matter how I
try I can't get it thick enough. I'm going to keep trying till I run out of
glaze and then I may never mix that one again. The first time I tried it I
loved it. It actually had some blue and green in it. I can't seem to get
that result again. I've tried it on different types of clay. I really like
the Powder Blue. That glaze is really versatile. It looks good even if the
application is to thin. I like it on my buff clay because it has a nice
brown color where it breaks. If it is to thin it looks kind of rustic or
country to me. Field Mouse Brown is nice also, however mine doesn't really
look like it does in the book. It has somewhat of an olive color to it. The
glazes that I really love in the book is Carribean Sea Green and Light
Stormy Blue. I did try them on a couple of test tiles and on a couple small
jars but decided to forgo mixing any more due to the kiln needing to be
vented for the firing. I left a crack in the lid for that but I'm not
comfortable with doing that to much.
All for now,
Crystal

Old January 22nd 04, 03:26 AM
Martin J. Kenny

in article , CNB

"GaSeku" wrote in message
I tried to change the subject title, but it reverted back to the other

one.. I
would love to hear of other's test results. Here's mine for Waterfall

Brown,
though not terribly accurate because it turned out to be overfired to at

least
cone 7. Waterfall Brown is the only
one I have tried so far. I overfired it so I can't really say too much,

except
it looks like it can be overfired and still look pretty much like the

photo.
My
suggestion would be to put it ona textured surface for a better result.

Mine
was on a smooth bowl. Gaye

Excellent book.

I have mixed all the samples. Excellent results.

By contrast, most of the stoneware cone 6 in Chappell's Clay and Glazes.
Don't go there.

Marty

Old January 22nd 04, 11:42 AM
GaSeku

You're not the only person who has suggested to avoid Chappell's glazes and yet
there are potters who have it on their recommended lists. I think I'm going to
listen to the warning. Maybe that's why he didn't include any photos in the
book grin
Old January 22nd 04, 10:07 PM
wayneinkeywest

You're not the only person who has suggested to avoid Chappell's glazes
and yet
there are potters who have it on their recommended lists. I think I'm

going to
listen to the warning. Maybe that's why he didn't include any photos in

the
book grin

Gaye:
If I can stick my very long nose into this for a minute...

Just like cooking, a recipe is a "guideline".
What works for one person will not necessarily work for everyone,
since we all use different clay, firing schedules, heck, even the
water we use to mix glazes has different minerals in it.
Too many variables.
(That's how we end up with different recipes:)

You have to remember that, and adjust the "recipe" to suit
YOUR particular set of circumstances. Those glazes probably
were stable and reliable for Chappell, and Chappell loved them.

One size does not fit all :) as I am finding out quite rapidly :(
Recipes "guaranteed to work" by long time friends who are potters
have failed miserably (spectacularly) for me.
THEN I hear "Oh, you're using an electric kiln?
I use gas/coal/wood/ex-wives to fire MINE" or "Oh, you don't do a 300 hour
soak
at 19,000,000 C?"

AAARRRGGGHHH!

Like someone said..."test, test, test!" (and then repeat and see if it still
works)

Just a thought.
Wayne Seidl

Old January 23rd 04, 04:53 PM
GaSeku

Deg, The link doesn't work for me. I'd love to see it. Gaye
Old January 23rd 04, 04:54 PM
GaSeku

You're probably quite right, Wayne. Thanks for the gentle reminder. Gaye
Old January 23rd 04, 05:09 PM
Dewitt

On 23 Jan 2004 16:53:28 GMT, (GaSeku) wrote:

Deg, The link doesn't work for me. I'd love to see it. Gaye

Oops. Try
http://home.earthlink.net/~dewittg/_wsn/page3.html

deg

glas FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 0 October 16th 03 07:50 PM
Glaze FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 1 September 18th 03 04:16 PM
glaze FAQ's Tom Buck Pottery 0 August 18th 03 01:26 AM
FAQ:Intro to rec.crafts.pottery Mishy Lowe Pottery 0 July 18th 03 06:05 AM
glaze FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 0 July 18th 03 05:40 AM