Magnetic beads

Old August 27th 04, 07:33 AM
Anna W.

Default Magnetic beads

While at the bead & jewelry show last week, there were necklaces made with
hematite magnetic beads. The necklace goes around the back of your neck and
the beads attract and hold together side-by-side in the front...no clasp is
needed.

Here's the question. Has anyone used the magnetic beads in this manner? My
friends wanted to split the purchase price and I'd make a necklace for each
of us. No one was selling just the beads, though. We asked at one booth and
the guy said they wouldn't hold their magnetic strength very long and would
eventually be useless to us. Is that true? We felt it was a sales pitch to
sell us something else.

Anna W. in Tx

Old August 27th 04, 07:39 AM
Mystified One

I made a necklace with them. It's still magnetic, 5 years later. I found
it fascinating, but I noticed that with the polarization of magnets, there
is a north-south to the beads, and there's a couple that are either
north-north or south-south and repel each other.

I've seen it advertised in a 36" chain to wear as either a necklace or
bracelet for quilters/sewers (my first passion) to hold scissors and other
notions. It seemed more useful than the health claims about magnetic forces
and health.

I did it because it was fun.

Another note: The place where I bought my beads also has some magnetic
hematite that has been seeded in oysters, to create magnetic pearls. It was
fun to look at, I'm just wondering about the usefulness.

Old August 27th 04, 09:10 AM
Deborah Barilleaux

Thunderbird has them.

--
Debbie (New Mexico)
Life is too short

Old August 28th 04, 07:02 AM
Anna W.

Thanks for the heads up about the polarization. I've not handled the single
beads so that never crossed my mind.

Anna W. in Tx

Old August 28th 04, 07:03 AM
Anna W.

Thanks for the info, vj.

Anna W. in Tx

"vj" wrote in message
vj found this in rec.crafts.beads, from " Anna W."
:

]We asked at one booth and
]the guy said they wouldn't hold their magnetic strength very long and

would
]eventually be useless to us. Is that true?

from what i've managed to find, yes, he was telling you the truth.

now, whether you could 'remagnetize' them or not, i have no idea.

a friend of mine loves telling me that 'that hematite stuff you love
so much -- your yard is full of it. it's just another form of iron,
which is why your dirt is red!"

--
@vicki [SnuggleWench]
(Books) http://www.booksnbytes.com

Old August 28th 04, 07:03 AM
Anna W.

Thanks, Debbie. I'm off to check it out right now.

Anna W. in Tx

"Deborah Barilleaux" wrote in message
et...
Thunderbird has them.