Knitting bug -- OUCH!

Old June 10th 07, 12:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
MSey

Default Knitting bug -- OUCH!

"Richard Eney" wrote in message
In article s74ai.8649$nx3.7704@edtnps89, MSey

wrote:
"suzee" wrote in message

snip
Even with the skeins direct from the store you can pull from both the
inside and outside. If you wind hanks into balls, you can make a center
pull ball without a ball winder.

Really? I tend to wind a lot of balls because I actually prefer knitting
and crocheting from a ball. But I had no idea you could wind a ball by
hand, on your hand, and make it a center pull.

Now I'm wondering how you do it.

Mainly you just keep the inner end sticking out of the ball as you wind

it.
I wrap it around the little finger of the hand holding the ball as it

forms
when I'm hand winding a ball. I do try to create the same kind of center-
hole that you find on a ball of crochet cotton, by winding around next to
the center rather than across the center (again, like the ball of crochet
cotton).

=Tamar

Thank you! I am definitely going to try this.

Murielle

Old June 10th 07, 01:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
suzee

"suzee" wrote in message

snip
Even with the skeins direct from the store you can pull from both the
inside and outside. If you wind hanks into balls, you can make a center
pull ball without a ball winder.

Really? I tend to wind a lot of balls because I actually prefer knitting
and crocheting from a ball. But I had no idea you could wind a ball by
hand, on your hand, and make it a center pull.

Now I'm wondering how you do it.

Mainly you just keep the inner end sticking out of the ball as you wind it.
I wrap it around the little finger of the hand holding the ball as it forms
when I'm hand winding a ball. I do try to create the same kind of center-
hole that you find on a ball of crochet cotton, by winding around next to
the center rather than across the center (again, like the ball of crochet
cotton).

I can kind of manage that, only since I don't turn it continuosly, it's
like that on one side, then I turn it and wind for a bit, then turn
again. Well, it's not quite like the cotton balls, but sometimes mine
turn out looking really good.

sue

Old June 10th 07, 04:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
David R. Sky

Default OT Two balls is fine if you've got them

Hi Noreen - lolol!

My initial response to your dh's comment was, "not necessarily!" Do you want
the details?? I think not, at least not in this forum.

Well, maybe... if I've accidentally strewn some of my yarn into the potato
pancake I fried... water-absorbant, no??

*evil cackle*

David

--
David R. Sky
http://www.shellworld.net/~davidsky/

On Sat, 10 Jun 2007, YarnWright wrote:

YarnWright spun a FINE 'yarn':

David R. Sky. . .
And my DH says, sXit floats, doesn't it??
Gawd, I am bad, very very bad.
Smacks self on forehead, knocks self out, face on keyboard, but laughing all
the while!
(they're coming to take me away, hee hee hoo hoo hah hah!)
Good to "see" you, David!
Hugs,
Noreen

end quoted

David!
My reference to my DH's statement was NOT meant to imply that you are 'sXit',
so please don't misconstrue, I typed what immediately came to mind before
thinking how it might come out!
mea culpa,
Noreen

Old June 15th 07, 11:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Murielle

The ones before the electric ones? The ones with the the hand-windie-thing?
I haven't seen one of those for ages. Used one, though. When I was a kid
we had them.

(My grandmother used to whisk her eggs with a knife. They always formed
perfect little peaks. Even with an electric mixer I can't do such a
beautiful job.)

Okay, now everyone knows how old I am. ;-))

Murielle

Old June 16th 07, 06:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Not Likely

"Murielle" wrote in message
The ones before the electric ones? The ones with the the
hand-windie-thing? I haven't seen one of those for ages. Used one,
though. When I was a kid we had them.

(My grandmother used to whisk her eggs with a knife. They always formed
perfect little peaks. Even with an electric mixer I can't do such a
beautiful job.)

Okay, now everyone knows how old I am. ;-))

Murielle

You're only as old as you feel. Somedays I feel like I'm pushing 100 (when
the Fibromyalgia is REALLY flaring up and will barely let me move), but most
days I feel like I'm still in my teens. Of course I also have days when my
son thinks I have totally lost my mind and reverted to childhood...
especially when I'm goofing around with our youngest dog, or just in a
really silly mood and goofing around period! ;o)

*hugs*
Gemini

PS. I just re-read your message. I have one of those hand-windie mixers
in my drawer that was my Mom's years ago... it has a wooden handle on it.
Hey... we're a family of packrats, we rarely throw *anything* away if it
"could be used someday". LOL

Old June 16th 07, 08:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

I still have a hand NON ELECTRIC one and from time to time use it ,,
when i married i didn`t have an electric one ,,,, i think nly after 5
years of marriage i got the first electric one ,,,, yes the non
electric one can be used but also the electric one !!!!
mirjam

Old June 16th 07, 10:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Murielle

"Not Likely" notinthislifetime@yougottabejoking wrote in message
"Murielle" wrote in message
[...]

I hear you! I have those hundred-year-old days too. They're such fun ...
not. But silliness! Yay! Love the silliness. There are too few people
who let their silly-side shine. I love my silly-side. Though, sometimes I
fear I'm the only one who does. ;-))

You have one of those mixers! Good on you! I'm a packrat too. Not very
smart for someone who lives in a tiny apartment, but packrats are packrats
whether we live in hobbit holes or mansions.

Hugs,
Murielle

Old June 17th 07, 08:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Not Likely

"Murielle" wrote in message

You have one of those mixers! Good on you! I'm a packrat too. Not very
smart for someone who lives in a tiny apartment, but packrats are packrats
whether we live in hobbit holes or mansions.

Hugs,
Murielle

I have often said that even if I won a HUGE lottery and could afford to, I
wouldn't live in a mansion. Number one... too much housework, and I don't
like other people puttering around doing mine for me. Number two... WAY too
much room, and being a packrat it would fill up fast with things I find at
antique shops, flea markets, etc. ;o)

My Mom & Dad were both packrats and I got all their stuff as well as my
own... and God bless him, my son is also a packrat who will get my stuff as
well as my parents'. I *seriously* have to start weeding and donating some
of the stuff, before it breeds too much and takes over the house. Wait...
too late, it's coming down from upstairs, and up from the rec-room to meet
me on the main floor. AHHHHHH.... being taken over now!!!! LOL Being
silly rules!! ;o)

*hugs*
Gemini

Old June 18th 07, 01:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Murielle

"Murielle" wrote in message

[...]

LOL! I really must start "un-packing" though. I used to be so good. I'd
cull my books once a year or so. Not any more. I've become more and more
"ratty" as I get older. ;-))

Murielle

OUCH Polly S. Beads 6 February 1st 07 03:57 PM
ouch! WitchyStitcher Quilting 50 January 4th 06 05:35 AM
ouch!! [email protected] Yarn 20 October 21st 04 03:08 AM
Mom & Sis/colour - ouch norma woods Yarn 5 December 30th 03 01:56 PM