Website review sought - comments invited

Old January 19th 08, 09:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
[email protected]

Default Website review sought - comments invited

My first impression with Your site was:
thumbnails don=B4t work - simple design - the neck of the girl is very nic=

e,
clear skin.

As Abrasha, MBstevens, Peter, and Heinrich have all told you pretty
much the exact same thing, and you are choosing to argue instead of
listen to advice that could help your site, I will toss in my 2=A2 of
advice on the visual aspects of the site....Hey...you asked....

Visually? There are few other ways to politely put this....the site
is unappealing. The proportions of the pictures to the page...as
noted...are irritating. The design quality of your entire site is
unfortunately, unattractive. The neck...as Heinrich said, is quite
lovely. So much so, I, like Heinrich found myself looking at the
lovely neck instead of the jewelry. In fact, I barely noticed the
jewelry at all because the visual of the neck and chin were so much
more compelling. Lose the neck. Only photograph the jewelry. The copy
on the right is useless. One reads from left to right, so tucking the
copy to the far right means that my brain barely registers that the
copy is even there after trying to take in in the far too-large
photos, the neck and the competing colors. All of the blue framing
everywhere is annoying as well. Why blue? Why borders? The blue kills
any color in your wife's jewelry. Ditto the cute fonts that you chose.
Too cluttered to read.

You know....as I am writing this, I realize that I am working way too
hard at being polite about your site. Everyone has taken their time to
look, and have told you the exact same thing, so why bother asking if
you refuse to listen to absolutely everyone here?

Seriously...... Spend some time looking at beautiful, well-designed
jewelry sites that actually function and take notes. There are lots of
them out there. Even looking at the big name sites will help you with
layout, font, copy, proportion and how to photograph jewelry. My best
advice? Scrap your site and start over.

Best,

Minkiemink
Old January 20th 08, 04:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Sterling

wrote in message

Ditto the cute fonts that you chose.

There was a cute font used on this site? Really? I didn't see it... wanna
know why? Cause I don't have that specific font loaded in my font file and
I suspect that most people wont have that font loaded either. If you want
to quote w3 standards, then you should already know that the use of a
"special" font in web design is a major No-No. Just because your page
validates does not make the format/layout correct - it only means that your
code is correct in the manner that you are using it. I'll take Abrasha's
web site any day over this one. Better design, better navigation, better
content and outstanding jewelry.

Too cluttered to read.

Scrap your site and start over.

I have to agree Lisa. The site has no structure, the content is a jumble of
paragraphs that for the most part I didn't read because lets face it,
everyone skims the surface until they find something of interest. This site
just doesn't hold my interest enough to venture down past the fold.

Old January 21st 08, 06:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Carl West

When Craig Cockburn put fingers to keys it was 1/15/08 12:43 PM...

http://www.jewelryscotland.com

Also, to save on bandwidth I'm using Flickr to host the new images of
sterling silver jewellery
http://www.flickr.com/groups/joscelin/ although the link is at the page
above.

Ah. had to go back and look for it. buried in the text.

Any suggestions on how to improve the appearance, functionality of the
site welcome.

For my eye, feel free to keep the lovely neck. The clothing should be a
solid color with simple lines, or removed*. The detail in the pattern in
the cloth competes with the detail in the beadwork.

The blue border is unnecessary. It isolates that section.
One of the things I learned from Edward Tufte is that boxed text gets
read a whole lot less than regular text. Google Mr. Tufte's name, he has
a lot of good stuff to say about the presentation of information.

Either use the thumbnails for links to descriptive pages (that are also
linked next and previous to each other) or don't use them. If you insist
on keeping this layout, do a a name=xxx / a href=#xxxlink from the
small rendering to the full-size rendering.

Oh, and the argument that the user can look at the thumbnails while the
big ones load falls apart entirely when the thumbnails _are_ the big
ones, just rendered smaller on the page. By the time the 'thumbnail' is
loaded, so's the 'big version'. It's the same file!

And don't _tell_ us they're thumbnails, we _know_ that. They're clearly
too small for us to appreciate the work, so there _has_ to be a bigger
version available. My first move is to mouse over them and watch for the
cursor to change and tell me that the picture is a link. No links.

OK, I'm getting cranky now. Time to stop.

* Some longer necklaces would be nice.

--

Carl West
http://prospecthillforge.com : The Blacksmithing Classroom