straight cut on saw

Old September 29th 04, 07:37 AM
Abrasha

"Paul K. Dickman" wrote:

It was nearly 30 years ago. I can't recall what edition but they definitely
had 18th or early 19th cent bindings.

I spent many happy hours in college sitting in the library pouring over
them. I never checked them out, they were enormous folios that probably
weigh 15 lbs a piece. I didn't want to have to carry them around, and I
certainly didn't want to screw one up.

The library did have a rare book dept, but they didn't control these.

I'm sure that was some sort of oversight that has long since been rectified.

Paul K. DIckman

Wait, I take that back.

A quick check of their card catalog, shows a 1771 Geneva edition in storage
and a 1751 Paris edition on the second floor

Impressive.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Old September 29th 04, 04:40 PM
mbstevens

Abrasha wrote:

mbstevens wrote:

Jack Schmidling wrote:

"Abrasha"

Personally, I think Dali sucks. ::shrug:: just my humble (and
probably
in
your view, worthless) opinion.

He was a magazine illustrator with bad dreams.
Surfing on the work of the surrealist writers like Duclasse.
Have to say I do like his jewelry a little bit, though.
Take a really bad dream and make it sparkly and shiny --
that's at least a little bit interesting.
--
mbstevens
http://www.mbstevens.com

Another opinion showing great insight in the work of Dali. What great
intellect. You must be a studied art historian.

Magazine illustrator? Where did you get that piece of rubbish
information?

*Not* intended to imply that he had actually illustrated magazines, but that
the work looks like that you would find in a magazine in its
*illustrational* technique. He never broke free of this illustrational
technique, although here and there he did do an isolated work playing
with modernistic ideas.

Do
you even begin the know the breath of his work?

Yes. Lots and lots of paintings that didn't change
style in any very significant way over his lifetime.
He was always purely the illustrator. Surrealists like
Ernst broke away from illustration;
Dali never really did.

Here is an "abbreviated"
biography. http://romaniankids.8k.com/photo.html

I have better books on him in my library, thanks.

Do you even know his jewelry?

Yes. Eyeballs (sometimes as clocks) with pave lids,
jeweled tears, elephants with insect legs, other depictions
of dream-like imagery like a little heart with a
sack of pulsing jewels. Illustrational atoms with
diamonds trekking in little orbits around a nucleus.

It has nothing or very little to do with
dreams.

The whole surrealist movement was obsessed with it. In Dali's case, let's
add in a heaping helping of religious mysticism, pseudo science, and trash
psychoanalysis (Freud thought Dali's thought on psychoanalysis was idiotic,
IIRC). Of course, in the trash psychoanalysis we have further evidence of
his interest in dreams.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

--
mbstevens
http://www.mbstevens.com
Old September 30th 04, 08:22 AM
will e

Could be too much pressure on the blade. Try a lighter weight if you are
using a weight/pulley system. Will E.
"Jafi" wrote in message
Hello All,
I have recently rebuilt a 12" rock saw and I'm having trouble calibrating

it
for a parallel cut. It seems that as the clamp travels it tends to move

away
from the blade which causes the blade to bind.
I have measured and remeasured and still can't get it aligned. I have
realigned the blade shaft, I have realigned the clamp rails and I am

getting
somewhat frustrated. It is the larger rocks that seem to have trouble
staying aligned. I don't put any rock larger than the clamp, (lengthwise)
and only about 3 - 4" high.
Is there a trick or can someone impart some of their experience and wisdom
on this newbie? Your help would be appreciated.
Thank you
Joe

Old October 2nd 04, 01:12 AM
Kendall Davies

Thanks Mike for an intelligent note of calm in all this very tiresome flack!

Kendall Davies

"Mike in Arkansas" wrote in message
Jack Schmidling wrote in message
. ..

but are too intimidated by the trolls to ask questions.
Doubtful.

Let's do a survey on that one. Come on lurkers, now's your chance to
speak
out!

Well, since you ask. I'm mostly a lurker that posts infrequently for
a couple of reasons. First of all I was educated to look up things
for myself(course that was back in the dark ages, maybe they don't
teach that anymore). So I read first and only ask questions later
which is rarely necessary. The few times I have ask questions, I have
been answered by all in a curteous and helpful manner. If I were
responded to in a negative way I would likly ignore that reply, thank
the others and go on about my business. Time is too short to get into
egotistical ****ing contests over inconsequential matters. Reap the
wheat and let the chaff lay. Lots and lots of books available online
and a cursory reading of any of them would have told what binding wire
is. Get Oppi Untracht's books (old but inclusive) and others that
have already been recommended. For inspiration I like the newer how
to books with the glossy pictures. Also, for inspiration, look at
some of the work at www.guild.com. Some good wood examples there too.
Mike in Arkansas